PDA

View Full Version : Tigger my main cat is sick

MaryB
02-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Poor Tigger went to the vet today, drew blood and an injection to try to get him to eat. He is down to 9 pounds from 15 pounds. Nothing wrong from the exam but blood work for kidney and liver won't be back until tomorrow. Been hand feeding him and spoiling him to try to get some weight back on his body. Hope the tests come out okay :cry:

Had to apply for a Care Credit card to pay the vet, my budget is not up to any extra until April... hate when a family member(pets are family) is ill.

crazy mark
02-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat. Really hard when they get sick because it is hard for them to tell you what is wrong.

smokeywolf
02-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Blood panel should tell the story. Hopefully just a treatable chemical imbalance. How old is Tigger?

smokeywolf

jcwit
02-18-2015, 12:41 AM
Pets are family, don't you know it. Wife & I have cats, all are special. Prayers for your special one gets over this "yes God looks over them also".

How old is he?

OBIII
02-18-2015, 02:31 AM
I can totally empathize with you Mary. My oldest, most favorite cat, lived to be 18 years old, and a screw-up by the Vet put him on the path to the end. You might try boiled chicken livers, mashed into a paste. My mother had two Siamese cats that she spoiled rotten, feeding them only mashed chicken livers and meat baby food. Hopefully, things will work out for the best.

OB

MaryB
02-18-2015, 04:48 AM
Tigger is 7 so not old. Hope it is minor too, he is special, when I got him he fit in my hand. My other cat is a rescue and he is family but not quite the same as when you raise them from a baby.

About a month after I got him, note width of floor boards(2 inches) to judge his length

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Tigger-1.jpg

2 years later on the same floor

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/tigger-adult.jpg

nvbirdman
02-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Hope Tigger is ok. I'm sitting here at two in the morning because I can't get to sleep tonight. I had to put my dog down yesterday. She came to me as a stray twelve years ago and devoted her life to me. The vet told me I could have blood tests and x-rays done, but we both knew I would only be delaying the inevitable. I thought it best to send her on her way before she started really feeling sick, or started hurting.

smokeywolf
02-18-2015, 06:15 AM
Sorry for your loss nvbirdman. Mary, I'll be watching Tigger's thread closely.

smokeywolf

Ramar
02-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Hope things go well Mary. I do pray for loved ones; animals included.
Ramar

robg
02-18-2015, 06:26 AM
hope its good news and tigger gets over what ever ails him.cats are pretty tough

Driver man
02-18-2015, 06:44 AM
nice looking cat.

farmerjim
02-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Prayers for Tigger. We love our pets as family. About 4 months ago we had all 4 of our cats (one at a time) come down with cat scratch fever. $2,000 vet bill, I got it after the second cat, but mine was covered by my insurance.

shooter93
02-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Hopefully he will be fine. Even with all the dogs and cats I've had I really hate losing one. But....I keep getting them. I truly don't think I could live without them around. I'm losing one very soon. Jake stumbled up to my door many years ago. He was badly beaten. He had a fractured skull, a broken jaw and an eye knocked out of it's socket. I spent a fortune getting him fixed up ....they couldn't save the eye... and he has been a great friend. He's 24 years old and slipping into a coma. He's not in pain and when he passes I hope the frost isn't to deep so I can bury him in the wild flowers with the others.

oldred
02-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Our three year old white flame point Himalayan "Scruff" just acted listless one morning without warning from the day before that anything was wrong, after we couldn't get him to eat I got worried and then noticed he seemed to be in a great deal of pain especially when touched in the belly area. We ran him down to the vet and sure enough it was the very common urinary blockage that kills so many male cats, the vet told us he was already going into shock and was only minutes from dying. They rushed him in and cleared the blockage but the news was really bad, his blood tests and results from the other testing they did showed his kidney function was down to less than 30% and if it did not improve he probably would not live more than a couple more days. His kidney function improved, against the odds according to the vet, to somewhat better than 50% but we were told he still likely would not live very long. For two weeks we gave him fluid injections, actually drip bags, and started him on a special diet that he still lives on now. It's been well over a year now and much to the vet's surprise (and our delight!!!!) he is doing fine now, happy, playful and fat but he still requires a special cat food. This is a common ailment among male cats but we have learned it does not have to be a death sentence, once the owner discovers a cat is prone to this blockage there is a cure that this vet has used very successfully on others since seeing what it did for Scruff, it's the Purina urinary health formula that is only available from a veterinarian. This is not the urinary formula cat food sold at stores by Purina and some others but rather it's ONLY available from a vet and it's not cheap at about $26 for 6 1/2 lbs but seeing Scruff happy, healthy and playful is worth every cent!

bob208
02-18-2015, 11:36 PM
I lost my male kitten to the blockage. he was a little over a year old. took him to the vet got him the tests some shots special food. looked like he was coming around. 3 days latter he died.

docone31
02-18-2015, 11:45 PM
We have a pair of Feral mix cats. Ralph and Muffy. I suspect Muffy lead Ralph out of the wilderness. At any rate, Muffy got real thin. Real thin. We took her to the vet, which we hate, and she ran some tests. Found Muffy had a liver disease, and low thyroid. Today, I put thyroid drops in her ear, and she and Ralph are on an hepatic diet. She is plumping, Ralph likes it and all is well. The food is expensive, 50$ a big bag, and the thyroid is 25$ a month. I get five syringes a month and each night I measure out a quantity and put in her ear.
Hey, they are family. Both of them. They do not go outside, are both fixed. Ralph is my cat, Muffy is my wife's cat. 14yrs they have owned us.
It has been well worth it. They trashed the vynl blinds. I use pieces to paper patch with. Ralph sings in the morning to get me up. It is a routine and I would not trade it.
They started as two little fluff balls that fit in each hand, to the Bubbas we now have.
They are family.

MaryB
02-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Well liver and kidneys tests came back fine. I accidentally spilled some food in his water bowl today and he went to town on it so I kept adding more. He ate half a cup of food that way and drank a lot of water. Vet doesn't know why he is off his food, could be cancer he couldn't feel any lumps but who knows. Going to pick up some canned food tomorrow for him and hand feed him like I have been. If I hold the bowl he seems to eat more. He caught a mouse last night so was out and about rummaging around the house. Still not his normal self but a little better today.

Vet said sometimes they can just lose the will to live for some reason and a lot of pampering can snap them out of it. He is in his cat carrier with the door removed. His private cave to be away from Oreo basically. Right behind me so he can watch me at the computer.

As I watched him eat tonight I started wondering if he has a toothache too, vet checked for cavities and he was fine but he could have something jammed in between 2 teeth. Been there and it makes me cranky and I eat less. He was favoring one side of his jaw as he chewed the dry food so a switch to wet might help until it gets better.

MaryB
02-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Yep they are family and I will spend what it takes to get him better. Miss having him draped around my neck when I am on the computer or watching TV. He is curled up in his "cave" with his towel that he uses as a blanket. He drags that towel to me when it gets to rumpled and I have to fold it in 4 then fold one end up as a pillow for him to sleep on.

We have a pair of Feral mix cats. Ralph and Muffy. I suspect Muffy lead Ralph out of the wilderness. At any rate, Muffy got real thin. Real thin. We took her to the vet, which we hate, and she ran some tests. Found Muffy had a liver disease, and low thyroid. Today, I put thyroid drops in her ear, and she and Ralph are on an hepatic diet. She is plumping, Ralph likes it and all is well. The food is expensive, 50$ a big bag, and the thyroid is 25$ a month. I get five syringes a month and each night I measure out a quantity and put in her ear.
Hey, they are family. Both of them. They do not go outside, are both fixed. Ralph is my cat, Muffy is my wife's cat. 14yrs they have owned us.
It has been well worth it. They trashed the vynl blinds. I use pieces to paper patch with. Ralph sings in the morning to get me up. It is a routine and I would not trade it.
They started as two little fluff balls that fit in each hand, to the Bubbas we now have.
They are family.

Artful
02-19-2015, 12:07 AM
Glad the test's are negative - hoping he feels better soon - keep us posted.

TXGunNut
02-19-2015, 12:21 AM
....As I watched him eat tonight I started wondering if he has a toothache too, vet checked for cavities and he was fine but he could have something jammed in between 2 teeth. Been there and it makes me cranky and I eat less. He was favoring one side of his jaw as he chewed the dry food so a switch to wet might help until it gets better.

I think you may be on the right track with tooth issues, I was thinking that after an earlier post.
My Smoke is off his feed, dropped by for breakfast and barely touched it. I came home late tonight so he was a no-show. Between girlfriends and mouse-hunting I only see him when he's feeling sociable. I dread the day he needs to go to the vet, still have scars from first (and LAST) time I tried. He's feral and affectionate enough but he'll show his wild side if you get too close or try to pick him up.
Hope Tigger gets better soon.

duckey
02-19-2015, 12:24 AM
Down from 15 lbs to 9 lbs, that's a big flippin cat! Sorry to hear he is not so well, hope he is on the mend soon!

nvbirdman
02-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Happy to hear Tigger is doing better.

Multigunner
02-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Tigger looks to be a Mau or at least mostly Mau.
My Mau lost weight at around 8 years old and never got back to his previous weight but he is now around 13 yr old and seems to be in perfect health, just slimmer than when he was younger.

The weight loss may have been triggered by the loss of his best friend , our old dog had passed away in his sleep and the Mau was very upset by this. His best feline friends have all passed on as well. He's now our oldest living pet.
Since he can still leap from the floor to the top of a six foot cabinet I figure he hasn't lost any muscle.

A pure blooded Mau can live to be 24-25 years if he stays healthy.
A female half Mau we had many years ago lived past 24.

Mk42gunner
02-19-2015, 01:15 AM
Vets are some of the best doctors in the world. Think about it, their patients can't say "Doc it hurts when I do this." Here's hoping Tigger gets better now that he is eating again.

I just got my dog Daisy (Minature Pincher/ some sort of terrier cross) back this morning from knee surgery. She is already trying to jump out of the truck, and up and down stairs. I have to try to keep her from jumping around for another couple of days, but she is putting weight on her foot better than she has for two weeks. It isn't easy to keep her quiet.

It is pretty common for animals to loose weight quickly when something is wrong. Fortunately, they seem to get right back to eating well when they start to feel better.

Robert

MaryB
02-19-2015, 01:23 AM
I told the vet gloves and thick sleeves would be wise. He said he could handle him... uh huh he is missing a hunk of hand today where Tigger got claws into him.

I think you may be on the right track with tooth issues, I was thinking that after an earlier post.
My Smoke is off his feed, dropped by for breakfast and barely touched it. I came home late tonight so he was a no-show. Between girlfriends and mouse-hunting I only see him when he's feeling sociable. I dread the day he needs to go to the vet, still have scars from first (and LAST) time I tried. He's feral and affectionate enough but he'll show his wild side if you get too close or try to pick him up.
Hope Tigger gets better soon.

smokeywolf
02-19-2015, 04:33 AM
When I was a kid, the folks fed the fur balls nothing but canned food. I am a big proponent of (most of the time) feeding the fur children the same food (meat) that we eat; except without cooking it. With Tigger's health being a little off, I wouldn't give her the raw stuff. Canned food or maybe boiled chicken.

Awfully glad Tigger's coming around.

smokeywolf

oldred
02-19-2015, 07:09 AM
We had a talk with our vet about raw vs cooked foods and he was VERY outspoken about never feeding raw food to our pets. It seems like the natural thing to do until he explained it this way, our pets (cats in particular) are of course natural meat eaters and it's natural for them to eat fresh raw meat but the key word here is FRESH! Freshly killed raw meat is nature's diet for these animals but for the same reasons we can get sick from store bought or otherwise aged meats (even by a few hours according to him) pets too can be harmed. Dogs seem to be an exception and can generally eat meats at about any stage but even they can sometimes be sickened by raw meats. Several factors must be considered with the "raw is natural" approach but two stand out, first freshly killed meats will not have nearly the pathogens that will have developed by the time store bought meats are fed to them and also animals in the wild living on raw meats don't usually live very long in part due to disease and parasites they contract from what they eat. While it may seem like "natural is better" we have to consider that pets (especially cats) living in the wild are almost always unhealthy and it's "natural" for them to die young! After a bit of research on the subject and talking with our vet and his partner at the other office of their veterinary service we have not since nor ever will again feed our cats raw meats.

smokeywolf
02-19-2015, 07:53 AM
In actuality, it is not uncommon for a predator, usually not felines, to stash or bury a portion of a kill and retrieve and consume it later.

We have been feeding Timber 131354, raw meat since he was 10 weeks old.

Canines have enzymes in their saliva and intestines that work in concert with the enzymes in raw meat. This allows the animal to get the most nutritional value from the meat. If the meat is cooked the enzymes are killed off and nutritional value suffers.
One of the few meats that should never be fed raw is salmon. Pacific Northwest Salmon sometimes carries a parasite that carries a disease which canines (except bears) are susceptible to. It is often fatal for dogs and wolves. It is known as "salmon poisoning".

smokeywolf

oldred
02-19-2015, 09:34 AM
I mentioned dogs, canines in general I would think, are not nearly as sensitive to this type of thing and I think we have all seen dogs eat some really gross stuff! Cats however, while tougher than people, are at risk for several potentially serious and even deadly maladies from eating raw meat even freshly killed. The thing is we are helping our felines to live way beyond their natural years and a good quality commercial pet food is by far better for them, feeding them unsanitary meats quite possibly tainted with disease organisms is not a "natural" diet for cats and is not conductive to a long and healthy life. However, dogs or cats, can be seriously harmed by cheap no-name pet foods! I know that even the big names got caught up in the Chinese ingredient poisoning but that is not likely to happen again to the companies that have a name to protect, Purina has by far the best record in this respect. Oversight for pet food manufacturers is nothing but a bad joke and according to our vet (who for obvious reasons would not name any particular manufacturer) some of the junk the bargain brands put into these foods border on poisonous and almost all of them are seriously lacking in necessary nutrients. The "name brand" outfits however are a completely different situation with well balanced and healthy foods that can keep a pet happy and healthy.

"Natural" sounds like a good idea at first but Mother nature can sure be a cruel lady sometimes!

Multigunner
02-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Northwest Salmon sometimes carries a parasite that carries a disease which canines (except bears) are susceptible to.
While Bear and Wolf (and by extension dogs) may have a common ancestor the Bear is an "Ursine" rather than a "Canine".

Mackeral canned in spring water helps an older dog who has lost his appetite.

white eagle
02-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Mary so sorry to hear of your cats illness
they are family and want the best for them
best of luck

oldred
02-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Keep us posted and let's hope it's nothing but good news!

woodbutcher
02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi Mary.Wishing Tigger the best.We have lost many little furry friends over the years.Never gets easier.We have lost as many as 5 in one year to old age,and that sucks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

smokeywolf
02-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Don't want to cause too much thread drift from Tigger's condition, but I will say that in addition to our study of raw feeding, we have also studied commercial foods. One of the better commercial dry foods comes out of Canada, is available in the U.S. and is called Orijen (their spelling).

Not trying to talk people into raw feeding. You must do your own research and let your conscience be your guide.

Mary, looking forward to the next update on Tigger.

smokeywolf

oldred
02-19-2015, 06:13 PM
The thing that changed our minds about the raw feeding was when it was pointed out that, for cats anyway, simply feeding raw meats is usually lacking unless it has a fair amount of bone ground up in it since the bone contains a lot of nutrients that cats need. When a cat eats in the wild it's usually rodents and birds and all the bone is consumed along with the internals and it's all needed. Then there are just some things we should never feed either a dog or a cat and raw pork is high on that list, pets can get several very serious, painful and possibly life threatening parasitic infections from raw pork -so can people! Also it was pointed out that in order to feed a cat a true "natural" diet there would be lots of insects and certain plants that they normally eat, even cats aren't 100% meat eaters. The problem is some folks who really love their pets and would never intentionally do anything to harm them can do just that by not understanding the implications of trying to feed a "wild" diet to a domesticated animal.

shooter93
02-19-2015, 07:02 PM
I'm glad he is doing better Mary and if I may drift this thread just a bit....for the people who mentioned urinary tract infections in male cats....I've been through this with two different cats....Jake being the last one. He was operated on 3 times because of them and did well for awhile after that. This always bothered me so I did a lot of research into the infections. There really is no dry food for urinary track problems despite what the label or the vet tells you. You feed them wet canned food only and use as few fish flavors as possible. I discovered that advice and used it ever since....Jake went years then with no problems. Try it....others I told about it had the same results. Jake got to live to the ripe old age of 23 or 24. He passed this afternoon.

bob208
02-19-2015, 07:34 PM
it is hard to lose a friend. we have lost quite a few over the years. but then right now we are at a low of 9. we have a soft heart. people drop them off we take them in.+

oldred
02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
There really is no dry food for urinary track problems despite what the label or the vet tells you. .

That was once about the only treatment and the wet food wasn't so much a treatment as it was just not doing any more harm like the dry can do to some cats. This one does definitely work and it does far more than just wet feed, it actually treats the problem unlike the so-called urinary formulas found in stores even those from Purina. Feeding this formula is what saved our Himalayan and he had developed the problem while on canned food, some cats just refuse to drink enough water contributing to the blockage and most dry foods will compound that problem. This one is VERY different and once they start eating it the proof will be in the litter box! Our vet(s) uses this as his and her standard treatment now after the blockage has been removed, every time he sees Scruff he tells me that he would not have given him any chance at all when we left with him and admits even he was skeptical at what Purina was telling them about this food -but not anymore! This stuff WORKS! I have no doubt at all that we would have lost our pet except for that "you might try this new stuff, it can't hurt" recommendation from the vet.

This is NOT the urinary formulas sold in stores!

http://www.chewy.com/cat/purina-veterinary-diets-ur-stox/dp/49834?utm_content=Purina%20Veterinary%20Diets&utm_campaign=f&utm_source=shopping.com&utm_medium=cse

And in addition to that cats absolutely love this stuff!

Taylor
02-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Hope everything works out,and I'm sure it will.I sure know the feeling of losing a pet.Best wishes-Will

JWFilips
02-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Kittys are very curious peoples! Give them all the love you have and sometimes they jump to another of their 9 lives. I love them dearly! I have two indoor and 4 outdoor( feral) babies & I love them all. I'm trying hard to get my outdoor friends though these polar vortex blasts we are having here in the NE. Adding lots of "Smaltz"to their diet Via Chicken Skins & fat! Minus 5 degrees and the young ones are playing like kids in the yard! Nature at it's finest.
Nurture you little one and He will make it through!

geargnasher
02-19-2015, 11:23 PM
I'm glad he is doing better Mary and if I may drift this thread just a bit....for the people who mentioned urinary tract infections in male cats....I've been through this with two different cats....Jake being the last one. He was operated on 3 times because of them and did well for awhile after that. This always bothered me so I did a lot of research into the infections. There really is no dry food for urinary track problems despite what the label or the vet tells you. You feed them wet canned food only and use as few fish flavors as possible. I discovered that advice and used it ever since....Jake went years then with no problems. Try it....others I told about it had the same results. Jake got to live to the ripe old age of 23 or 24. He passed this afternoon.

Sad news.

Gear

gray wolf
02-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Prayers for your pet.

Sam

MaryB
02-19-2015, 11:49 PM
He has been getting Purina dry hairball formula(he gets horrible hairballs all the time) but he seems to be handling wet better so going to switch him for awhile. Oreo can stay on the dry, he is a fat ball and doesn't need high priced food.

Tigger is half Bengal half what ever mama cat mated with on the farm. 2 of his litter mates look like pure bobcat so we suspect it is that. he is a 1 person cat for the most part. There are a few others who can handle him because they were around when he was a kitten but even they know when to retract hands before you lose them. He is 2 feet long head and body(3 feet with tail) and was solid muscle until he got sick.

Stretched in his favorite position on the back of a chair. Friends was using my computer when I took this. That is a full sized office chair!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Tigger-hanging-out.jpg

I mentioned dogs, canines in general I would think, are not nearly as sensitive to this type of thing and I think we have all seen dogs eat some really gross stuff! Cats however, while tougher than people, are at risk for several potentially serious and even deadly maladies from eating raw meat even freshly killed. The thing is we are helping our felines to live way beyond their natural years and a good quality commercial pet food is by far better for them, feeding them unsanitary meats quite possibly tainted with disease organisms is not a "natural" diet for cats and is not conductive to a long and healthy life. However, dogs or cats, can be seriously harmed by cheap no-name pet foods! I know that even the big names got caught up in the Chinese ingredient poisoning but that is not likely to happen again to the companies that have a name to protect, Purina has by far the best record in this respect. Oversight for pet food manufacturers is nothing but a bad joke and according to our vet (who for obvious reasons would not name any particular manufacturer) some of the junk the bargain brands put into these foods border on poisonous and almost all of them are seriously lacking in necessary nutrients. The "name brand" outfits however are a completely different situation with well balanced and healthy foods that can keep a pet happy and healthy.

"Natural" sounds like a good idea at first but Mother nature can sure be a cruel lady sometimes!

MaryB
02-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Thanks everyone, he was a little more active today, managed to jump to the back of my chair from 4 feet away... then he curled on my shoulder and purred for 15 minutes and got his ears scritched.

Part of the battle has been getting Oreo to leave him be. Oreo wants to play, they play fight and chase all over the house a few times a day normally. Also to get Oreo to stay out of his wet food.

oldred
02-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Hairballs can cause serious weight loss and other symptoms, maybe that's all that is wrong? Let's hope so because that will resolve itself and if that's what it is he should be back to normal soon. We also have another Himalayan that's a bit over 16 years old who got very sick last year, quit eating and lost a LOT of weight! being a long haired cat he has always had a hairball problem but nothing that ever made him sick, this time it turns out that he had actually inhaled some of it and it was causing a kind of Pneumonia. The X-Ray showed a "mass" in one of his lungs that the vet suspected was an infection caused by inhaling hair, he suspected it because he had seen it several times before and sure enough that was what was wrong this time. It was only a tiny spot but the resulting infection caused a lot of fluid and thus the Pneumonia, all it took was some antibiotics and about a week and he started getting better. It was probably a month before he made a full recovery but he has regained all his weight now and is back to normal. We have had this little fellow since he was only 5 weeks old so he has been with us for 16 years now. I sure hope Tigger's problem turns out to be something as treatable as this was, that certainly is a handsome cat!

fiberoptik
02-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Praying for kitty. My adopto-stray was an outdoor cat till he got into it with either a raccoon or possum. Came home with a broken tooth in his face. No vet $$ available at the time. The abscess burst from pressure. I fed him canned food a few months, squeezed out the puss, & used a syringe to squirt in colloidal silver in his face. Also added amoxicillin to his food. Wifey thought for sure I'd have to put him down. He's 17 now, fat & happy on my lap. Stone deaf this year, but his nose works real good. He's my best friend.

fiberoptik
02-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Actually the worst pet loss I ever suffered was putting down my rat Willard.

smokeywolf
02-20-2015, 04:00 AM
shooter93, when I was a small child my folks brought home a kitten. He lived to the ripe old age of 24. The only health problems that ever rated a vet visit were the occasional abscess resulting from a neighborhood fight. In his prime, he killed or ran off nearly every other cat within a quarter mile of our house.

So sorry to here of your loss.

Mary, I'm relieved to learn that Tigger is doing better.

smokeywolf

sav300
02-20-2015, 05:59 AM
Great news about Tigger,glad he is on the mend.
sav300 < cat servent.

Multigunner
02-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Tigger is half Bengal half what ever mama cat mated with on the farm.
Hard to tell from the photo but if Tigger has a brick red nose with dark outline and goose green eyes he is likely more Mau than anything else.

The "Bronze" Mau was rescued from extinction by finding Bengal Cats with Mau characteristics and by selective breeding bringing out the Mau in the breed.

Apparently the Muslims brought the Mau from Egypt to India when they invaded and the Mau mixed with local tree cats.

Clay M
02-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone, he was a little more active today, managed to jump to the back of my chair from 4 feet away... then he curled on my shoulder and purred for 15 minutes and got his ears scritched.

Part of the battle has been getting Oreo to leave him be. Oreo wants to play, they play fight and chase all over the house a few times a day normally. Also to get Oreo to stay out of his wet food.

I am truly sorry about your cat.. I have an older part Persian cat that get hair ball really bad..
He gets sick with them once in a while. Sometimes oil or Vaseline helps..
Three of my cats are indoor cast so I know what it is like when they get sick.I am real attached to them.I also have five outdoor cats that are on rat patrol..They rarely get sick.

shooter93
02-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Well I see a cat on the back of your chair....in this kind of cold maybe you can get him to wrap around your neck as a scarf......smiles.

geargnasher
02-20-2015, 08:47 PM

I'm glad to hear he seems to be doing better, here's to hoping that continues.

Actually the worst pet loss I ever suffered was putting down my rat Willard.

Wife and I had three hooded and one dumbo rats, two at a time. Loved the little buggars dearly, but they only live 2-3 years and the last one is always a non-stop series of cancer operations, slow paralysis from the tail forward, progressing in to a month or two of non-stop care to make them comfortable until they finally let go. Our vet is not competent at putting them down, either. We gave up on every having more, it's just too tough watching them get sick and die so soon.

Gear

Clay M
02-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Your favorite cat is Tigger,and mind is the Digger..He was just a dying little kitten when I got him. now he is my best friend and very healthy.Of course my wife is a Vet so that helps a great deal.

oldred
02-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Rats!!

MaryB
02-21-2015, 02:33 AM
He does in fact... has the skin flap in front of rear legs, rear taller than front ... and really hard to type over lol

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20141023_1904252681_zps5adecd88.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo but if Tigger has a brick red nose with dark outline and goose green eyes he is likely more Mau than anything else.

The "Bronze" Mau was rescued from extinction by finding Bengal Cats with Mau characteristics and by selective breeding bringing out the Mau in the breed.

Apparently the Muslims brought the Mau from Egypt to India when they invaded and the Mau mixed with local tree cats.

MaryB
02-21-2015, 02:36 AM
He chowed down 5oz can of wet food today so that may do the trick. More active too. So maybe getting over whatever ailed him. Going to keep him on a can of wet food a day from now on and he always has access to the dry if still hungry.

oldred
02-21-2015, 04:02 AM
Sounds like he is on the mend, he is a handsome brute that's for sure! Even the vets will often tell us that some of these things will remain a mystery because our pets can't tell us what hurts and how they feel so more often than not these things just pass and they get better without us ever finding the cause, no matter it's the fact he seems to be getting over it that's really important!

Something I have noticed about wet food no matter what brand, seems even within a certain flavor the taste will vary a LOT from one batch to another and we all know how finicky cats can be! There are certain fish flavors for instance that out cats will fight over most of the time but sometimes when we buy a carton they won't touch any of the cans while still gobbling down any of the same flavor from a different batch of the same thing. The point is that sometimes a cat will act like it's not hungry and won't eat it's favorite flavor of food when normally it would chow down on the same brand/flavor, often just switching flavors or an older/newer can of the exact same thing will have them discover that they are hungry after all!

We know how picky cats can be and also how stubborn they can be but it sure is fun spoiling them!

MaLar
02-21-2015, 04:18 AM
Mary my cat sits on the back of my chair just like yours.

smokeywolf
02-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Great pic of Tigger. He's a handsome fellow. Very glad he's responding to the new food.

Taylor
02-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Pretty cat,he looks sharp

woodbutcher
02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
:bigsmyl2: Hi Mary.Glad to hear Tigger is doing better.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jcwit
02-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Good to hear, Mary.

oldred
02-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Any updates on the Kitty Critter?

MaryB
02-23-2015, 12:43 AM
He is eating well but not gaining any weight back. Semi active but still not to normal levels. And very clingy wanting to be held, I cradled him in my arms or 30 minutes earlier.

smokeywolf
02-23-2015, 01:14 AM
Watch him closely for any stall or reversal in his recovery. Always scares me when they do the 2 steps forward, 1 step back routine.

smokeywolf

.30-06 fan
02-23-2015, 01:44 AM
from my small amount of cat experience, if Tigger is cleaning, eating and pooping, i would say that those are very good signs.

Col4570
02-23-2015, 02:07 AM
Our Cat Lulu,gets very thin during the summer months and disappears for hours.I suspect she is in a Hunting mode at that time.She is now fat and slick and sleeping a lot.Mary your Cat could be going through some phase that is normal to them.At present ours would sell her soul to the devil for some Evaporated Milk but we try to limit her to the occasional bit.Our feline friends are magnificent creatures,their independent nature is an admirable trait,hope you Tigger improves.Best wishes.

MaryB
02-23-2015, 02:53 AM
Tigger is an indoor cat, never been outdoors except vet trips. To many coyotes around here. Neighbor has lost 4 cats in 2 years to them.

Col4570
02-23-2015, 09:15 AM
We do,nt have Coyotes here but we have Foxes.Our previous cat Sally was attacked by a Fox,her injuries where severe to the back legs with bones broken and Teeth marks on her hind quarters.The Vet bills came to £1,700.She had Steel Pins fitted and was in pain for some time.She eventualy recovered and had a limp that did not restrict her activities.A year later she was hit by a Car and Killed.as if in sympathy Lulu walked in on us shortly after.She came from a house that takes in strays she has been with us for 5 years having trained us to her requirements.It is impossible to keep her in when she gets the call of the wild.

oldred
02-23-2015, 10:01 AM
He is eating well

That by itself is a VERY good sign! How about that nose, does it mostly stay cold and wet? That's not just an old saw, a cold wet nose really is an indicator of good health. A hot dry nose does not necessarily mean anything one way or the other unless it stays that way in which case it could mean elevated body temperature or dehydration.

MaryB
02-24-2015, 02:54 AM
Yeah I know, his nose has been dry and he is not drinking enough. Wet food the last 3 days has been helping with that a bit. Most cats get the bulk of their water through wet food if available. Been giving him the filtered drinking water I drink too, he seems to like it better so maybe the chlorine load in the city water is just to high for him now.Stuff can smell like a swimming pool some days.

oldred
02-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Yes chlorine is very bad for cats! I remember reading an article in a pet magazine while waiting at the vet's office a couple of years ago about chlorine and pets and it specifically mentioned cats and the kidney problems it can cause. Small amounts of chlorine doesn't do much harm directly but it causes stomach upset and makes them avoid the water they so desperately need, maximum permissible levels in some municipal water systems can actually approach toxic levels to cats and some other pets. We have had to, on more than one occasion, force feed water to Scruff (he is the one with the kidney problem) when he was feeling poorly and it made all the difference between night and day. Our vet(s) really understand cats since one in particular has nearly as many as we do and dearly loves the little critters, she is always making a fuss over our cats since we have been caring for so many strays so she takes the time to talk with us when there is a problem. If Tigger is not drinking enough water (check that litter box often!) you may need to force feed him until he gets better, not hard to do at all with a large syringe, just gently hold him by the scruff of the neck, tilt his head back slightly and gently squirt it in. When our Himy "Scruff" had that blockage/kidney problem he simply refused water to the point that we had to administer it with a drip bag and inject it directly instead of by mouth, for whatever reason it seems that the more a cat needs water the more they will reject it. He can last many days without eating but dehydration can be deadly so if he is showing signs of that then it may be time to intervene and "help" him take in some water.

tomme boy
02-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Let the water sit out for a day or so and the chlorine should evaporate off. Unless your city has switched to Chloramination. This were they add ammonia with the chlorine. Then it takes a very long time to evaporate. You can just boil the water then let it cool to get rid of both. Safer and faster.

jcwit
02-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks, tome boy, good to know as we have cats, and city water.

oldred
02-24-2015, 11:20 AM
That works great for houseplants too! Both chlorine and ammonia are a good way to create anemic and dead houseplants.

popper
02-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Adopted a Maltese stray when I was a kid that had 4 total blacks and one tiger. My rescue/stolen Sealpoint Siamese liked to sit in my lap or on the seat back when i was driving. Larger than yours by several pounds when young. Hope Tigger gets well.

oldred
02-24-2015, 11:50 AM
My rescue/stolen Sealpoint Siamese liked to sit in my lap or on the seat back when i was driving.

Must have something to do with the breed as ours (both of them) like to ride with us too, most cats are terrified of riding in a car and we had almost no luck with the others breaking them in to it so that we could travel with any of them, they got to the point where they would tolerate it but obviously still hated it. The other two love it however and "Jack" will stick his head out the window like some dogs like to do because he quite clearly loves the wind in his face and seems to enjoy watching the scenery go by, we get a lot of attention from folks who seem surprised at seeing a cat out enjoying a drive.

Ramar
02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Good one, Oldred. I got that picture bookmarked in my head now. I think my life may not be complete until I see a kitty head out the window on my interstate travels; I'll be searching and looking!
Ramar

fiberoptik
02-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Give him tuna fish water, they love it. Or you might try catnip tea.

oldred
02-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Tuna water has way too much salt for a dehydrated cat but catnip tea would work if he would drink it. Maybe some low sodium tuna water if it can be found might work, most cats would have to be really sick to turn down tuna water!

MaryB
02-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Been adding water to the canned food to make it soupy, he laps it up big time. I am running their water through the Brita filter now. Showered this morning and it literally left me smelling like I had been in a pool. Called the city maintenance guy and he called the rural water people to have them check chlorine levels. Called me back an hour later and they have the chlorine upped because they have a frost break losing water somewhere and occasionally pulling in ground water during high use. They haven't found it yet and might not until frost goes out and a wet spot forms. They know it is somewhere on the 20 miles of line to town... So filter water for drinking through my better filter to catch bacteria just in case. Brita is fine to get rid of chlorine but not bacteria.

jcwit
02-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Wish you the best, both you and your pet cat.

Man, seems like you can't win for losing.

smokeywolf
02-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Mary, which Brita product do you have that eliminates chlorine?

smokeywolf

MaryB
02-25-2015, 01:11 AM
All Brita pitcher filters with activated carbon will get rid of the bulk of chlorine https://www.brita.com/why-brita/what-we-filter/

I saw the neurosurgeon today, he is settling on a 1 level c6/c7 fusion to get arm pain down. More fusions might be needed down the road but he doesn't want to do multiple levels at once. So they are setting it up with the insurance company.

Outpost75
02-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Our cat is a female rescue, named Teeger after the Winnie The Pooh cat. Our vet also emphasized filtered water with no chlorine and we use a Science Diet indoor, hairball formula. She was originally feral and we brought her indoors, got her plumbing adjusted and turned off the local kitten factory. She now is a happy indoor girl and has a playmate Cali, who is another rescue. Picture of her on the deck railing was before we brought her in and made her an "honest woman." She sleeps on my bed and in winter sleeps in front of the woodstove on the kitchen floor, close to her water bowl a nd food dish. Chasing any bugs to be found!

Slow Elk 45/70
02-25-2015, 01:38 AM
Sorry about tigger, I hope he pulls through, please say a prayer for him , I will...Best Regards , Jim

timberhawk
02-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Hi Mary,
Sorry to hear your boy is feeling down.
Eating and a good appetite is a good sign. You might be right about the tooth ache. Ours had a tooth go bad and he acted exactly what you are describing. You should have seen to vet testing each one to find out which one to pull.
We have a half Maine Coon. He was about 25 lbs. in his youth. He's 15 years old and down to about 15lbs. 132060132059 We'll be praying for you and yours.

MaryB
02-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Love the over the arm pic, Tigger is almost always hanging out like that on the back of my chair if he isn't sleeping. He will put his head on my shoulder, then his front paws, then he slowly slides lower and lower to get in my lap. His version of a sneak to my lap and I just laugh at him over it. Tonight he is in front of the corn stove though, -3 and dropping and it is a very warm spot.

Clay M
02-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Love the over the arm pic, Tigger is almost always hanging out like that on the back of my chair if he isn't sleeping. He will put his head on my shoulder, then his front paws, then he slowly slides lower and lower to get in my lap. His version of a sneak to my lap and I just laugh at him over it. Tonight he is in front of the corn stove though, -3 and dropping and it is a very warm spot.

I hope an pray you get well soon. Your cats need you.
Mr Digger is my best friend. He is always there for me..
My best wishes for you in the days ahead..

timberhawk
02-27-2015, 02:55 PM

They think they are being aloof and sneaky, but they are big babies that need attention as much as we do.

Take care of Tigger and scratch him on the top of the head for me.

oldred
02-27-2015, 03:23 PM
That "arm" pic makes me think of one of our other indoor cats (we have 3) that is sneaky indeed! He too is very old, he came here 11 years ago as a dropped-off/abandoned pet and while he was obviously as lovable as they make them he was already a long way from being young and he is rather,,,, well let's just say he wasn't much to look at with long shaggy fur and frost bitten ears! Due to his irresistible nature and the fact that the cold very obviously causes him a lot of distress (he constantly paws at his ears, or what's left of them, when it gets around freezing) we let him stay indoors in the winter. My daughter loves the old guy and says he's so ugly he's cute, well he is that and he's sneaky too! He favors my wife and whenever she sits down he will ever so slowly sneak up onto the back of the chair or sofa and then slowly inch his way closer and closer until he is stretched out on the arm as close to her as he can get. It's comical to watch since he will ease along just barely moving and will freeze in place if she looks at him or otherwise makes him think he is being noticed, when she pretends to ignore him he will once again begin working his way in as close as he can get. He sure isn't much to look at but we love the old guy homely as he is.

MaryB
02-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Cats can be characters for sure. Last night Oreo did his normal paws on my stomach then he slowly rolled so his head was up on my bicep and his front paws straight up. Funny to watch him stretch and retract his claws as I rub his ears while he lays like that.

Rattus58
02-28-2015, 03:40 AM
Poor Tigger went to the vet today, drew blood and an injection to try to get him to eat. He is down to 9 pounds from 15 pounds. Nothing wrong from the exam but blood work for kidney and liver won't be back until tomorrow. Been hand feeding him and spoiling him to try to get some weight back on his body. Hope the tests come out okay :cry:

Had to apply for a Care Credit card to pay the vet, my budget is not up to any extra until April... hate when a family member(pets are family) is ill.Have two cats with gingivitus similar situation... took all the teeth out of one, took wheat out of his diet and amazing that they can even eat.. but he now eats anything even dry food. I do have to cut some things for him... but you know... he's still with us... loving as ever.

oldred
02-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Have two cats with gingivitus similar situation... took all the teeth out of one, took wheat out of his diet and amazing that they can even eat.. but he now eats anything even dry food. I do have to cut some things for him... but you know... he's still with us... loving as ever.

It's really good to hear from people who still care for these "old folks", it's appalling at how many will just discard their pets once they reach the point where they no are longer young and cuddly or otherwise the cute pet they once were but instead require a lot more care than when they were young. As I have mentioned before we have 16 of the little critters but we live on a farm in a rather remote area so these guys have room to romp and for the most part they are actually a lot of help, or at least we have convinced ourselves of that anyway! Most of these consist of abandoned pets, some were kittens when they arrived but most were old and/or injured so the 16 we have now represent only a part of the ones we have had in the past few years and believe it or not they were each and every one special in their own way. We have one who is pushing 20, one at 18, two 16 and several we could only guess at but are obviously well "seasoned" by now, the running joke at our vet is our rest home for elderly cats! Yes we have seen our share of teeth/gum problems and the cat does not have to be all that old either, bad breath is a good indicator that something is wrong but it's not always evident so it certainly bears checking out even in younger cats since these little guys can suffer a lot without the owner knowing just how much pain they are in. When a cat starts to avoid food it has become one of the first things we check now and it's surprising at how common the malady is, this is one place where dry food is a huge plus vs wet/canned foods or even the so called natural diets. Dry food tends to clean the teeth while canned food tends to cause tooth decay but OTOH dry food can be bad for Tom cats due to contributing to urinary blockage (which most certainly still can occur even with a 100% wet diet!) so it's kind of a balancing act and these little guys need to be watched closely for both problems.

oldred
03-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Any updates on the Kitty Critter? Truly hope he's doing well.

Multigunner
03-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Our cat is a female rescue, named Teeger after the Winnie The Pooh cat.
Teeger also shows strong Mau heritage.
The picture of her presenting her claws is interesting. My male Mau does this alot as if presenting his claws for inspection. They often have very large and impressive claws with a sturdy horn like sheath to brace the extended claw. My Mau doesn't seem to be able to fully retract his front claws.

MaryB
03-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Tigger is hanging in there but lost more weight. Been taking his wet food, adding a bit of filtered water and blending it to a soup. He laps it up but only eats a couple ounces at a time. He has been more active so maybe getting past whatever is bugging him. Put Oreo in his place earlier when he tried to push in on the wet food bowl. I put foil over what he doesn't eat and keep it in the fridge. Any time he comes to me with his feed me stare I get it out for him. Oreo is not happy because he is only getting what Tigger hasn't eaten on day 2.

oldred
03-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear he has lost more weight, I was truly hoping he would be completely well now. I was just tending my cats yesterday and while working with "Buddy" our 20+ year old tabby pattern "just a cat" I got to thinking about your pet and was wondering if he was doing better. Buddy is old and very frail and I can actually hear him creak and crack when I pick him up, he looks shabby and has quit grooming himself but the old fella is as happy as can be and is otherwise in good health. I will look after him and keep him comfortable as long as he stays happy like that. I hope Tigger gets better soon as I know it can be very disheartening having to tend to one of the little guys when they are sick and can't tell us how they feel, best wishs for him and keep us posted.

JonnyReb
03-11-2015, 06:51 PM
One of the best threads i've seen in a long time. Ya'll are some great folks.

I hope all is well for Tigger...Prayers sent to the animals and to the people who love them.

MaryB
03-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Tigger is grooming, and I know he is drinking because I got the "would you fill my water bowl" stare when I got home from the range today. He just isn't eating enough

GSM
03-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Been following the Tigger news and glad he is at least eating some.

They shed the weight way faster than they ever put it back on, unfortunately.

Did the vet check him for diabetes, by chance? Weight loss and water consumption come to mind.

Hope he comes around.

Multigunner
03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
My Mau is always neat. I give each pet its own theme song and his song is "I'm Too Sexy" by "Right Said Fred".

He is naturally sterile, the vet said his male parts never matured past the kitten stage, but all the female cats are entranced by him and often fight for his attention.

While he has lost weight compared to several years ago his weight seems stable and he is very active. Its almost like he is growing younger, entering a second kittenhood I suppose.

MaryB
03-12-2015, 02:16 AM
Vet ran blood work for kidney, liver, diabetes. Tigger often gives me the stare when either the food or water is empty, I fill it, then he wanders off and doesn't drink or eat. That bowl HAS to be full!

oldred
03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
It sounds as if the vet has eliminated the really dangerous concerns so it may just be a phase he is going through. The old cat I just mentioned, "Buddy", was always a chunk until he hit around 8 or 9 years old then he suddenly dropped a lot of weight and lost his youngish look all at once it seemed. He appeared to be in good health otherwise and seemed to feel ok so we waited until vaccination time to speak to the vet about it, they too ran some tests to rule out anything major then told us to just keep an eye on him and watch for signs of anything worse. That was over 10 years ago and other than the fact he just got elderly he did fine.

GSM
03-12-2015, 07:39 PM
"That bowl HAS to be full!"

I hear that a couple times a day. The difference between full and empty/stale is such a fine line.

timberhawk
03-13-2015, 05:25 PM
We had a small female cat named Muzzee that curled up one day and stopped eating. It was two days before we could get her to start eating bits of boiled chicken. We think she had a stroke, because she seamed kinda dazed. She eventually recovered and lived another 8 years until we have to put her down.
You might try a little shredded boiled chicken and see if he will eat better.

DCP
03-13-2015, 06:31 PM
I thought Tiger would be diabetic. Hope he starts eating soon

smokeywolf
03-16-2015, 07:41 PM
I seem to remember mention of a dental exam. Could it be that a toothache (gum infection) hasn't shown any obvious physical signs yet?

MaryB
03-17-2015, 12:25 AM
I checked his teeth and jaw today. No pain, no redness or swelling. He lets me handle him all over with no issues... vet on the other hand lost blood!

timberhawk
03-17-2015, 08:35 AM
That's because you're his best friend and he thinks the Vet is out to get him.

oldred
03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Older cats will indeed suffer in silence with bad teeth, the older Himalayan I have mentioned was not eating very well and had lost weight plus his coat was rumpled and ungroomed. We just assumed old age but one day I noticed he seemed to be having trouble eating and once he even let out a rather loud shriek as if in pain, then it hit me that maybe his mouth was hurting. We immediately took him to the vet who decided he needed 4 teeth removed and some serous antibiotics for the gum infection! It had been slightly over 6 months since his last check-up and his teeth were apparently ok then but the problem must have started shortly after that. The little fella must have been miserable and every time I feed him now I think of what he must have been enduring due to my oversight but that will not happen again! He has since fully recovered and regained his weight, he still looks his age but even at nearly 20 years old he is healthy active and most of all quite happy.

Beau Cassidy
03-17-2015, 09:03 AM
I refer to the vet as the Torture Chamber. My guys hate it. I hope Tigger is doing well today.

Poygan
03-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Agree with oldred. Cats are very stoic when it comes down to pain or illness. One of my cats has had bad tooth issues even when he was younger. We didn't notice it until it became apparent that he was losing weight. One tooth was removed. Later, during a dental cleaning the vet noticed he was flinching while under anesthesia. He found two bad teeth and removed them. We observe all of our cats to see if they are having any health issues. They won't tell you....

MaryB
03-17-2015, 10:37 PM
My lab Misty loved the vet, all I had to say is lets go see the doc and she headed for the truck. Miss having a dog but until my spine is repaired I cannot keep up with one

oldred
03-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Our lady vet is a cat NUT, it's as simple as that! She loves the little critters and has a really good understanding of their ailments an general needs plus she is willing to take the time to sit and discuss problems with us, we have learned a great deal from this wonderful lady. She told us that bad breath is one of the most telling signs to look for that something may be wrong and it can be an early indicator of several ailments besides bad teeth so chronic bad breath (occasional bad breath is normal and should be of no concern) is a good indicator that a checkup is in order.

She told us that cats are pretty much subject to almost any ailment that afflicts humans except for the fact she has never seen a cat suffer from insomnia! :razz:

shdwlkr
03-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Mary
I had a cat for over 20 years until a couple of year ago when she just had had enough of this world. I have another cat that has been with me for 7-8 years now and he is very much his own cat. He wants attention when he wants it, let me know when the water bowl is empty, food box is empty and when he wants his litter box cleaned. Has to have his time each night and if I forget he lets me know the next few days. He has some of nicest claws and knows how to use them too.

I have had a cat with me since I was 3 weeks old, even had one when I was in the Army, much better than a dog as they don't bark, don't need to make the whole world know they have been seen.
I have a small dog also and she is just to smart for her own good so often but I sure do like her being there and when she and cat decide it is time to play sometimes way to funny.

Hope tigger is doing much better

Multigunner
03-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Our vet and her associates are cat persons as well.
Their office has several resident cats that required more care than their owners could afford. Some are elderly and others are younger cats with long term illnesses that require regular treatments. All look healthy and happy where they are. They roam the animal hospital freely and seem very comfortable with strangers and new arrivals of all species.

gwpercle
03-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Sorry Tigger is sick. Prayers sent.
Our's was not eating , skinny, listless... you can tell when something is wrong...turns out he had tapeworm(s)...one pill did the trick, ask your vet about it...at least they can fix a worm problem.
I've had cats my whole life and never had one get a tapeworm!
Gary

MaryB
03-19-2015, 03:38 AM
I asked about worming him and vet said not needed because he is an indoor cat only. He is eating some, the blended food that I turn into a thick soup he laps away at and gets some nutrition in but nowhere near what he used to eat.

Poygan
03-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Mary,
I suggest the vet do a fecal test for worms anyway. Granted most cats that go outside can get worms from mice but it is possible your cat caught a mouse inside. I have a female that presented us with a mouse on three consecutive days shortly after we adopted her. All of our cats are indoor cats. Its a simple test that can eliminate another possibility.

bob208
03-19-2015, 08:00 AM
worm him there are two different worm meds. our indoor cats get them some time.

they also get worms from fleas.

gwpercle
03-19-2015, 01:03 PM
worm him there are two different worm meds. our indoor cats get them some time.

they also get worms from fleas.
Fleas...our vet said same thing. Plus from eating mice and birds also ...our's is a outdoor / indoor guy who showed up a few years ago , a very young, skinny , stray who endeared himself to my wife , who claimed she didn't like or want a BLACK cat! What you want doesn't seem to matter with kitties.
I didn't know about getting them from fleas, but evidently can happen. Actually if it ia a tapeworm, that one pill had him eating again in two or three days...easy to fix.

Gary

docone31
03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Fleas have larvae for worms. It is part of the cycle of the parasite.
The vet has a pill. That has been the most effective over the praziquantel, or Ivermectin given orally. That pill is the one shot does it all.
The liquids and the pill work as a lock up on the worms. They get digested and pass through the system. They get paralized and go through the digestive system.
Mmmm. Good.
One of my cats barfed up an huge worm once. It was 1/2 in width, and at least four feet in length. The poor cat must have had it since she was a kitten. She lived many years after that.
Get the pill, have the vet give it. Stay the cat's buddy. Then get the fleas. They spread worms.

oldred
03-19-2015, 01:27 PM
The fleas infect cats with a small type of tapeworm and regular worm medicine will not do anything to these! However if it's an indoor cat you WILL know if they are infected with these worms which don't seem to cause the cat much harm and are not at all a threat to people, however they have a very high "gross" factor! These worms are easily eliminated but you must get the medicine from a vet and eliminate the fleas also to prevent re-infection which will almost certainly occur.

MaryB
03-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Never had a flea problem... advantage of them never leaving the house. Will holler at the vet and pick up wormer next time I head to town. he has been more active, playing like a kitten with a bit of rope he tosses and catches. Been eating mix of wet and dry food again. Both should get wormed and they will not take the over the counter stuff. One sniff and nope no way.

oldred
03-19-2015, 11:38 PM
The over the counter stuff doesn't work anyway, piperazine wormers are just about useless for most worm infections due to many years of overuse/misuse and that is about all you will find for OTC preparations. The vet can give you some prescription only medications that work great or you can just use Revolution drops, the revolution will kill fleas, ticks, ear mites and intestinal parasites with the exception of tapeworm but if he had that you would know it by now. It's possible I suppose but since this is a well looked after indoor cat that has had veterinary care I doubt worms are a problem but giving them a wormer won't hurt anyway, just don't waste your time and money on the OTC stuff -I think your vet will agree with that.

blackthorn
03-20-2015, 11:58 AM
We had an old beat-up cat that just appeared one day. He was impossible to medicate (if you wanted to keep your hands etc.). We got some cat treats in the form of a small "pocket" (sort of like a Pita bread), put the pill in the pocket, squeeze it shut, toss it in front of the cat and down the hatch it went.

gwpercle
03-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Glad to hear Tigger is better:happy dance:
For tapeworms just get the vet to do the 1-pill treatment, she had it down him in nothing flat and it wasn't expensive.
Gary

oldred
03-20-2015, 05:23 PM
She had it down him in nothing flat

They use what we call the "Vulcan hold" from the Star Trek character's paralyzing trick, they hold a cat by the scruff of the neck and pop a pill down in a flash! I have yet to master that trick but it works like a charm when you do, it does not at all cause any pain or discomfort to the cat and is in fact what mama cat uses to carry her kittens without putting up a fuss and can come in real handy at medicine time! This is also what is used when a cat needs to be force fed either food or water and while it appears to pretty much paralyze them while they are held they can still get down food or water without strangling. Anyway for worms the drops are applied exactly like the Advantage that was mentioned or better yet just use the Revolution and take care of that month's flea treatment at the same time, another neat thing about using the external drops is that it only needs to be applied once instead of having to do a follow up a week or so later as is required with the oral medicines.

However every single one of these medicines tell you not to give them to a sick cat without checking with the vet first so regardless what you use if you do decide to worm your cat check with the vet and let them know what it is being used and the cat's current health condition.