PDA

View Full Version : 9mm and CSB-1 mini review

bremraf
02-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey fellas, I'm new here but I have seen many questions from some other newbies like myself about this powder, and thought I'd share my experience. So here it goes!

Alright I'm casting the round nose Lee 9mm 124 gr, which after powder coating ends up at an average of 128grs on my last batch. BTW that powder coating works great! I'm just tumble coating and baking, no feeding issues in 2 different guns and no leading. But I digress. So I worked up my load and did some testing, as always these loads work well in MY GUN, please use caution in your own. I'm using a Lee auto disk pro, and I found that the .46 throws 4.0 grs, and the .49 throws 4.2. I settled on 4.2 for my load, with an OAL of 1.100. I believe there was someone wondering about an 1.08 OAL and I believe that would be fine as well.

So on sunday I went out with the 100 rds and did some shooting. I took 50rds of American eagle 115gr fmj, and 20 rds Sig Sauer 124gr hollowpoints for a power comparison, since I do not own a chrony. I shot alternating magazines of the AE, SIG, and my reloads, and I was very pleased with how the reloads felt, and performed with CSB-1. I had no high pressure signs with the CSB-1, in fact the AE fmjs had more flattening of the primers and a more pronounced firing pin strike than either the Sig ammo or my reloads. The Sig rounds are supposed to have a velocity of 1200?ish fps, and it was really hard to tell my reloads apart from them. So I'm gonna call this load somewhere in the 1100-1200 fps range, which is a little hot for practice but these are for my carry gun and I want something that recoils similar to the $1 per shot Self defense ammo. Cause we all know the lawyers will eat you alive should you have to stop a threat with some super-duper bad guy killing hyper nuclear reloads.:veryconfu

So in short I am pleased with this powder, was a very reasonable price(I payed 21.73 per pound shipped) and I now have enough for 12k 9mm!

Now if it would only warm up above 20 degrees so I can cast some more bullets!

tazman
02-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Nice review. I would suggest that you do this again in warmer weather(50 degrees or higher) and see if the results are the same. I have no knowledge of CSB-1 other than what I read here, but some powders are temperature sensitive.

bremraf
02-17-2015, 11:42 PM
That's a very good idea. I will for sure. I've read of some guys using as much as 4.6 or 4.8 grains in 9mm, so Lord willing it will be safe in all temps.