PDA

View Full Version : New barrel for the 44-1/2

Tatume
02-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Hello Folks,

Today the postal carrier came in the snow to get my CPA Stevens 44-1/2 rifle. It’s being returned to Gail and Paul Shuttleworth to be rebarreled. Of course, I’ll keep the original 45-70 barrel too, as it is superbly accurate.

The chambering is the 348 Winchester cartridge, which I think will make an outstanding cast bullet platform. The bullet is relatively large and easy to cast, yet small enough that 2400 – 2500 fps is easily within its reach. I already have most of the components to load for the rifle, as I picked up 200 cases, the dies, and an RCBS 348-200-FN mold when I saw them for sale a year ago. Blammer has shipped 3000 gas checks, and Buckshot is making a 0.350” sizer die for me (that letter went in the same mail as the rifle). I’m excited about the possibilities.

The barrel will be the #1 part octagon tapered contour at 26”, which will reduce the weight of the rifle by about one pound. The 44-1/2 is a heavy gun, and that pound is meaningful. I’ve asked that it be sent to me without a front sight, as I’m going to fit a blade from XS Sights. The blade will be adjusted to work with the Baldwin mid-range tang sight already on the rifle.

Now comes the hard part, waiting for the rifle and getting it set up to hunt.

Take care, Tom

upnorthwis
02-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Waiting is the hard part. Getting set up to hunt is the fun part.

Tatume
02-19-2015, 12:53 PM
You are correct, of course.