PDA

View Full Version : Lapping a sizer die

NSP64
03-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Has anyone lapped a Lee push through die? I want to go from .309 up to .312. How is the best/fastest method to use?

Scrounger
03-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Click on this link: http://www.castpics.net/
Click on: Research and Data
Click on: Honing a Size Die. Same procedure will work on Lee Sizer Die.

94Doug
03-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Do they make a hone for brake cylinders small enough? I remember back when I was in the Biz, they had around around 3/4-1" flex hones, but just wondering with the cars being smaller and all..... I suppose now days, the rebuilding of a brake wheel cylinder just doesn't get done anyway.

d

454PB
03-02-2008, 01:27 AM
I've honed Lee, RCBS, Lyman, and Star sizers. The Lee sizers are quite soft and easy to hone. The Star sizers are harder than the hubs of hell. Go slowly and check the diameter frequently or you will overshoot your desired size.

Leftoverdj
03-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Easy way with the Lee sizers is to coat some cull bullets with fine valve grinding compound and shuck them through. Use about four bullets and run them through over and over until they pass through easily. Clean and see where you are.

In your case, I'd just buy a stock die in the right size or just under. I save the lapping for sizes I can't get and lap no more than I have to.

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Has anyone lapped a Lee push through die? I want to go from .309 up to .312. How is the best/fastest method to use?

My cousin and I lapped a Lee die from .457 to .460 .

We took a wooden dowell rod and hacksawed a slit in the end . Slid a strip of emery cloth in the slit and wrapped the emery cloth around the dowell rod , rough side out .

Chucked the dowell rod in an electric drill motor and awy we went . Sprayed everything with WD40 , from time to time . Often checking the progress by sending a bullet through the die & measuring the bullet .

This may not be so easy eith .30 caliber . Row would have to be smaller .

God bless
Wyr

44man
03-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Wyr did it the right way. I don't use any emery too course though. I find 400 grit is best. The size area in a Lee die is short and it doesn't take but a short time to lap out. Keep testing as you go, wipe it out good first before running a boolit through.

Shiloh
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM

I did.

I Took a nail, cut about a 1 3/4 inch piece out of it to make a mandrel. I cut a slot about 5/8 inch long lengthwise down the middle of the shaft with a jewelers saw. Then put a strip of 400 grit emery paper in the slot so it fit tight in the hole of the sizer die. Voila !! a few passes with fresh emery, chased it with 600 grit, polished it with Flitz on a piece of towel in the slot and opened one up about .003

Shiloh :castmine:

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Wyr did it the right way. I don't use any emery too course though. I find 400 grit is best. The size area in a Lee die is short and it doesn't take but a short time to lap out. Keep testing as you go, wipe it out good first before running a boolit through.

We found as the emery cloth " wore out " it had the effect of using a finer and finer grit abrasive .

Then , I think we washed it out with liquid dish soap and hot water , followed by spray lube , to displace the water and prevent it from rusting .

It looks very smooth and the bullets do not seem to complain . :-)

God bless
Wyr

bobk
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
A cotter key works well, as long as the head is small enough to go in the opening.

Bob K

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
A cotter key works well, as long as the head is small enough to go in the opening.

Bob K

Excelent idea for the smaller calibers . :-)

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

NSP64
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I had planed on a method like wrytwisters and wanted some input.