PDA

View Full Version : For all the new CH4D die owners.

Utah Shooter
02-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Check out this series of videos. I know ammosmith is making 40 cal but the information will correlate. For instance ever thought of using aluminum cases found at the range or using a gas check to make a hollow point "enclosed"? Another thing I learned from him that is not in the videos is using a Blank Crimp die to make notches in the projectile for a more expanding round.

You will learn a bit if you are just starting with these dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdzm7zM16r4

tiger762
02-16-2015, 09:51 PM
I recently got a 38cal set, but have had a 44cal set for 15 years. When I started out with the 44, I was using 40S&W brass to make 265gr and CCI aluminum to make 215gr. The aluminum will make a shower of sparks visible in daylight. It was a hoot...

I'd use the vertical mill vise and a set of parallels to stand up 12 40's at a time. Had a strip of aluminum that I drilled 12 0.423" diameter holes in, to act as a framework to hold the brass while a bottom-cutting endmill trimmed them to length. If I were to do it again would use the harbor Freight mini saw with a fixture to set the desired length..

Sasquatch-1
02-18-2015, 06:23 AM
I have one of the little Harbor Freight saws. No matter what I did I could not get an even cut across the opening. I ended up going to a Lee 3 jaw universal shell holder a drill and a small pipe cutter. Works a whole lot better. Got the idea from someone on Youtube who does this to cut down 223 for 300 Blackout.

If I were to do it again would use the harbor Freight mini saw with a fixture to set the desired length..

Utah Shooter
02-21-2015, 01:17 AM
Really Tiger? That does sound like fun to me. Perhaps not in the Summer but...

midnight
02-21-2015, 08:52 AM
I have trimmed jackets using an end mill. The case is held in a 5C collet with a collet stop inserted and the collet is placed in a collet closer. A ¼ turn on the closer releases the jacket and a new one is inserted. Another ¼ turn closes it and it is trimmed. I goes just about as fast as a Lee case trimmer.

Bob