PDA

View Full Version : part for a old shotgun

stumpjumper
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
a buddy of mine has a old springfield double shotgun with hammers it is missing the screw that holds one of the firing pin`s in any ideas where a guy would find such a animal the gun is marked pat feb 10 1914. thanks for any help.

StrawHat
03-02-2008, 07:02 AM
For about 10 years, I restored old doubles. Finding screws is a hemorrhoid.

You might get lucky, check with Numrich.

I ended up having them made by a local machinist.

The other option is finding a parts gun at a show or shop.

Sorry, not much help.

stumpjumper
03-02-2008, 11:36 AM
thank you for the help strawhat i`ll will look on numrich.

leftiye
03-03-2008, 01:16 AM
If the other corresponding screw is still there so it can be copied, it shouldn't be too hard to make one - if you can find the correct die(?).

03-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Just a chance:
Empire GunShop 570-275-5482

Four Fingers of Death
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I know a guy who used to dril out the screw holes and thread up for a more readily available thread size. He said it usually made for an easy repair, but often wasn't suitable for high class guns as it was hard to get a perfect blend of shapes and that there often wasn't enough meat available, but he got a lot of old clunkers shooting again.

StrawHat
03-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I know a guy who used to dril out the screw holes and thread up for a more readily available thread size. He said it usually made for an easy repair, but often wasn't suitable for high class guns as it was hard to get a perfect blend of shapes and that there often wasn't enough meat available, but he got a lot of old clunkers shooting again.

Excellent solution, I have done that with a couple of Belgian doubles. The cost of drill and tap is nominal, and the old gun becomes usable.