PDA

View Full Version : unsupported gaschecks?

bigbear
03-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Worked all morney, so did a little reading this afternoon. In Williamson's,"The Winchester Legacy" he states while discussing the 450x348Improved loading cast bullets the following..."Cast bullets extendinto and seat below the case neck.This leaves the gas check unsupported in the larger case body. This condition is very undesirable.The gas check has a better than even chance of blowing off the bullet heel at ignition. This separation from the bullet could lead to a problem similar to an obstruction in the barrel. This is not a cast bullet gun." I would appreciate someone explaing this to me. Does this apply to the plain 348Win? I now load cast bullets for 348Win, 375Win, 32Win Special and 45-70.Do I need to worry about this in any of those calibres? Thanks1 There is no one at my gun club that shoots cast bullets , they all shoot 340 mangleums and such and are not much help with such questions!

mroliver77
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
He he he bigbear, mangleums!
I load , and I know lots do, boolits with gascheck ibelow the caseneck. I have never had a problem with one falling off and becomming lodged in the barrel as far as I know. I use all hornady style checks(except a box of .357 Lyman) and they crimp on very tightly. I wondered about Lyman checks but only have them in .357 and this is not an issue. But to answer your question it would apply to any bottleneck cartridge. With Hornady checks I believe it a non issue.
J

bigbear
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks! That is reassuring, can't afford to mess up any of my old rifles or old me either.:)

Leftoverdj
03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Big, when was he writing? Early GCs did not crimp on and could fall off in some circumstances.

Personally. I think the chance of a GC staying in the bore is about none. I've salvaged a good many cases that had a GC left in the case when the bullet was pulled by firing them.

bigbear
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Copyright on book says 1988, pics look like the early 1950's ( clothing ,hairstyle of men doing the load testing) . He talks about flock shooting deer in Texas and culling troublesome deer on a ranch by everyone going out to a field at dusk and shooting 6 or 7 deer, so I think some of the chapters were written way before the 1980's.

runfiverun
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
back in the day [phil sharpes early days] the thought was that once a g/c
left the bbl it was done doing it's job and should fall away
within a few feet of the bbl.
the trick was to get them to all fall off at the same time,
they finally figured out that if you keep them on the boolit it was just better and more consistent overall