PDA

View Full Version : New single stage press suggestions

Bazoo
02-16-2015, 07:09 AM
I currently have an old lyman spartan press. I like it, but I want a new to me single stage press.

I have an old RF wells press, which I like also, but its been modified so that it has a permanently attached 45acp shell holder. I like the beefyness of it though and the extra hand clearance.

So im thinking i'd like to get me a new c press. Preferably an older one, or one who's design is older. I hand prime. Must have standard thread size.

What is everyones suggestions?

TX.shotgun01
02-16-2015, 08:20 AM
I have a LYMAN COMET press and it has 5 shell holders it's in very good shap and it has standard thread size, that I don't need anymore so if your interesed PM me and we can talk about it

GhostHawk
02-16-2015, 08:30 AM
I do 98% of everything I load with the Lee Hand press with the quick change bushings.

Makes it very easy to switch from pushing boolits through a sizer, to full length sizing of 7.62x39.

If I want to It is portable, shooting range or upstairs in front of the TV both easy to do.
Mostly it moves just 3 feet so I can watch a utube video while I am doing something.

kenyerian
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM
I use my Lee hand press a lot also for Brass Prep. Also take along to the range. camping, etc. Very handy. As far as C press goes my favorite was the old Pacific's.

r1kk1
02-16-2015, 10:15 AM
My oldest 'new' press currently in production would be the CH4D Champion. Most ergonomic press I have and its my go to press for tough case forming chores. It's also my only O frame press. The only C press I have (I call it a heavily modified C press) is the Redding Ultramag. It now sports a LNL bushing for quick die changes. The other press I have is a Forster COAX and I have the shellholder adapter but haven't used it yet. I like priming on this press and its the original quick change die setup. My last bench mounted single stage is the newest and very versatile. The RCBS Summit looks very close copy of the Wamadet of days gone by. I have the arbor bushing conversion as well as the LNL conversion for it. It pushed my Lee hand press (aka "Knuckle Buster" or the "deer rattle" as I call it) to the hunting bag as I carry this press with me on a portable bench for use on the road. All the above have no problem with spent primer disposal if that's a feature you like.

I don't know what kind of stuff you load now or later in life or how new of a press you want or the features if any you're looking for in a press but I kick myself for not buying an old Herters press super O at a gun show last year. Massive old press of days gone by like the Easton Giant, RCBS A series and the Champion.

take care

r1kk1

Bazoo
02-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Right now I only load pistol calibers as I dont have any rifle calibers other than 5.56. Im not really sure what I want. I just want another press and am not sure what all is out there other than the new stuff you see in magazines. I do like old presses, but its got to be user friendly and take standard shell holders and dies.

seagiant
02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Hi,
Oh boy! Now you've done it! Everyone has their favorite old press! I WISH I had a CH Champion!

My favorite is the RCBS A2 cast STEEL Press,but I have other favorites and even own a few of them!

If you want a nice little cast iron press that does not get in the way but has a lot of muscle for it's size the RCBS JR3 is nice!

Mk42gunner
02-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Right now I have an RCBS Rockchucker bolted to the bench, but I will be the first to tell you that you don't need it for plain reloading. I think the best single stage I ever used for loading handgun and 5.56 was the Pacific Super C.

Enough grunt to get the job done, and plenty of easy access due to the open front of the C frame. I do prime off the press with an RCBS hand primer.

Robert

ballistim
02-16-2015, 05:03 PM
I've had a RCBS Rockchucker I bought when I was a young married guy after moving to AZ. in '80 and consider it among the best investments I've ever made. Thousands of rounds and no need for anything beyond normal cleaning and lubrication and a retaining clip on the ram for the shell holder being replaced.
Others can give a better report on ones made recently, but I don't think I'll ever be able to because I expect this one to be around after I'm gone.

RogerDat
02-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Been researching this very question and asking around. Depending on who you ask you get different answers. Also depends on what you want to spend. The hands down winner from my research was the Lee Classic Cast O frame press. Being made from American Steel and cast here in America sure don't hurt. Spent primer disposal down through the ram gets really great reviews. Solid enough to case form 50 BMG (except for the hollow handle, people do replace that with a solid steel bar for more strength) Is it the best press? Probably not, but it is really, really good for less than $120. Go read the Amazon and Midway reviews.

Some reviewers flat out say this is what the other major brands were built like back in the day before they went the cheap route of overseas manufacturing. The Lee Classic cast is made from recycled train rails and that is some dense solid steel.

You might check out CH4D and see if they have a modern ram for that RF Wells press of yours so you could swap shell holders using modern style shell holders. I'm looking for a C press and found they have replacement rams for about $25. Sounded like a good way to modernize an older press such as pacific that had the shell holder as part of the ram and you swapped rams.

r1kk1
02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
RogerDat,

The CC is a cast iron not cast steel. I emailed Lee about the railroad tie thing and they said no, cast iron.

The A2 and Champion are cast steel. I do not know what other presses were cast in steel. The rest of my single stages are cast iron with the exception of one being aluminum.

Seagiant

i wish you didn't live so far away or I might take an assignment in Florida. That state doesn't pay well. I would love to compare the linkage of the A2. Both presses predate modern presses by a couple of decades and mine has a solid ram. I know they both exit primers through the ram. I wish pressman would chime in.

take care

r1kk1

RogerDat
02-16-2015, 07:19 PM
RogerDat,

The CC is a cast iron not cast steel. I emailed Lee about the railroad tie thing and they said no, cast iron.

The A2 and Champion are cast steel. I do not know what other presses were cast in steel. The rest of my single stages are cast iron with the exception of one being aluminum......

r1kk1

Dang not RR tracks. Another urban legend bites the dust! Well hopefully still made in America. The CC are pretty dang heavy and seemed solid when I checked one out. Several of the name brand O presses are as solid as most folks will ever need.

I decided I did not want the CC Breach lock with the bushings, figured I could always get Hornady conversion kit to have quick change bushings but did not have to with the CC, my choice.

r1kk1
02-16-2015, 08:00 PM
I like the LNL bushing conversion. The CC weighs 14 lbs. The Ultramag and Champion weigh in at 30 lbs. The COAX at a little over 16 lbs. The Summit at 21 lbs. I think the 2" ram on the Summit is solid and may account for bulk of the weight.

Unfortunately, Lee was late to the game. I think it was John not Richard who finally brought out the CC series. I remember when Midway had them for 49.00. RogerDat, you did good to decide on which CC. The Breechlock version lost the through the ram disposal.

Take care

r1kk1

BullGoose
02-16-2015, 10:24 PM
CH4D can do a lot to help a guy turn on old press, like your Wells press into a more universal unit. They carry rams for standard 13/16" types like the old Pacific/Bair/Hornady presses and shellholder conversions for both threaded and stem type Herter's/Wells/etc presses with 1.25" rams.

I've got a Ruhr-American branded version of the Herter's Model 81 that I was originally going to set up with the CH4D conversion shellholder, but I like loading 9mm Luger rounds with it so much in its original form that I picked up a Herter's U3 press that will get the treatment instead. I also like the older presses and for the vast majority of uses, they are plenty stout. Heck, the Ruhr/Herter's dual ram press is noticeably heavier than my Redding UltraMag! And that is saying a bit.

Bazoo
02-16-2015, 11:48 PM
I contacted CH4D about it. I have a thread here somewhere about that very subject. Dave didnt have anything turnkey for me. Said he was going to look later on but we both forgot about it. I just sent him another email about it. I like the old Wells press. Just wanting to see what else is out there.

lpspinner
02-17-2015, 12:43 AM
For single stage I like my old RCBS A1 and the Lee Classic O frame. Both are sturdy and well built.

Garyshome
02-17-2015, 01:17 AM
I use a Lee breech lock & an RCBS to do all the grunt work [de prime,size] to keep all the **** out of my Dillon.

Bazoo
02-17-2015, 02:28 AM
Well, Dave contacted me back and doesnt have a ram to fit the rf wells press. I do like the press, I might just find one on ebay and buy the adapter for it if i cant find a press I like better.