PDA

View Full Version : Can a Rossi M92 .45 Colt Be Loaded Hot?

Speedo66
02-16-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm looking at Rossi prices and it seems the .45 Colt chamberings go for substantially less than the ones in .44 Mag., with more model availability.

Are the .45 models the same as the .44 Mags, and capable of being loaded up to near .44 Mag specs? Any problem with the cases themselves? Does any company load .45's hot commercially? Trying to find a pistol caliber rifle for next years hunting season.

RobS
02-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Yes they will handle Ruger/TC Only loads. There are commercial companies who have 45 Colt P ammo but I don't know if the nose length will feed in the Rossi 92 action as I cast and load my own for it. The rifle is more than capable though.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

RobS
02-16-2015, 12:40 AM
In reference to the cases, it's been stated that Starline 45 Colt cases can withstand 44 Mag pressures and I would believe beyond.

seaboltm
02-16-2015, 12:52 AM
Beyond a doubt.

retiredPO
02-16-2015, 08:28 AM
RobS.....thanks for the link.....fantastic article...... Love this site.....

Speedo66
02-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Thanks to all for the answers. RobS, great article, thanks for sharing!

3leggedturtle
02-18-2015, 11:28 AM
I have shot the Lee 255gr RNFP at almost 1600fps out of a 16" SS one. The steel buttplate hurts after 30 rounds or so.

pietro
02-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Does any company load .45's hot commercially ?

I used Cor-Bon ammo in my .45 Rossi w/o issue.

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/corbon/hunter/corbon-hunter/handgun/ht45c265bhp-20

Buffalo Bore also loads hot .45 Colt, but I never used any, because I was able to buy Cor-Bon's locally.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=134

countryroads
02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Speedo66,

Your Rossi will handle anything that your shoulder can, assuming that you are a mere mortal. I load a C452-300RF (weighing 317 grains with the gas check and lube) with 19 grains of 2400. According to the source for that load, it has a muzzle velocity of 1545 FPS. It knocks deer down with real authority.

The only issues are that the tubular magazine moves forward after three or four rounds. (It might not move as noticably if you shoot with an empty or nearly empty tubular magazine). The other issue is that it smacks your shoulder pretty hard. You won't be taking this load out to so any serious plinking. Bottom line; don't worry about blowing up your Rossi.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-18-2015, 07:31 PM
It'll handle it, but there is really no need to load hot for deer. Just about any midrange load in a rifle should shoot clear through a deer from about any angle. If you are in Indiana or MI and need more range, I'd look at a H&R reamed to 357 max rather than hot rodding a 45 trying to flatten trajectory.

TXGunNut
02-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Good article, RobS. Thanks for the link.

osu007
02-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Hey Speedo66,
I have a rossi stainless big loop 45lc, saddle ring, short barrel, stainless. It is a hoot. It has shot anything I have fed it. My buddy that I got it from, (it was a gift) {How's that for a buddy}, anyway, he told me it will handle buffalo bore really well, and shoots great with it. It is also quite accurate shooting the old BVAC bulk 45 cast. It has not taken any deer yet, but it is a honey if you are hunting in really thick brush. Recoil is really mild too, as my ex girlfriend's grandson shot it quite a lot. Get it and enjoy..

Nicholas
02-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Just keep increasing your powder until something breaks or blows up. Call that your max. Then back off a grain and buy a new gun to shoot it in after completing your medical treatment. Conversely, shoot 45 colt spec ammo in a 45 colt rifle and if you want 44 mag ballistics, use a gun designed for that caliber, keeping all your gun and body parts intact and in proper arrangement.

Just my cautious old-guy opinion. You may want to lead a more exciting life.

RobS
02-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that's it since the original poster was asking about loads that were capable for a current production (modern steel and manufacturing) 92 action which can withstand standard 45 Colt loads as well as 45 Colt Ruger/TC load data.

Fishman
02-23-2015, 05:30 PM
It is interesting that all of the folks advocating such loads have no moral or financial responsibility to the actual gun owner. Is it safe? Likely. But does Rossi say it's ok?

RobS
02-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Ok so people have tested these modern Rossi 92 actions (mind you with pressure equipment) and they are full of it I suppose. The article above was written by a person who knows and have been past what 92 actions of various manufactures and various older to modern 92's can handle. How about Nate Kiowa Jones the gunsmith http://www.stevesgunz.com/ who also does a ton of work on 92's, especially Rossi's, and he too agrees that Rossi 92's in 45 Colt will take Ruger only loads.

Well I guess those who have been there many times, have extensive data to show and who are professionals in the field know nothing. I own two Rossi 92's in 45 Cal as well but then again...........

As to if it's safe well then I suppose a person should not take up casting or reloading either because anybody can screw that up too. If a person takes the time to read the article I provided it states very clearly that the info. was the author's loads and in his guns etc. A disclaimer if you will but provides very informed information. Like I said there is plenty of information out there that supports 45 Colt +P loads in the modern Rossi 92 action.

Fishman
02-24-2015, 05:42 PM
RobS, your facts are not in dispute and I did read your article and other threads on the subject. I also remember Ross Seyfried's work on the subject, and I really enjoyed reading about it at the time, before the internet and in Shooting Times if I recall correctly. It may be available online now. It is human nature to push the envelope.

However, if Speedo66 finds himself laying on the ground at the gun range with assorted bits o' Rossi 92 flung in all directions, none of those author's will have to pay his medical bills or get him a new gun, and Rossi will say "tough luck" as well. Pointing to the .44 or .454 version as proof of capability also neglects the basic concept that not all guns of the same model are built the same way and with the same steel and heat treating process. Speedo66 specifically asked "are the .45 models the same as the 44 mags?" and only Rossi can answer that question with certainty.

RobS
02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Fishman:

Well I guess each person can decipher the risk just the same as anyone who reloads and cast their own boolits. Firearm manufactures these days will even state that any reloads or even some state re-manufactured ammunition voids warranty etc. and will not be responsible. So to each their own to read, decipher and do as they want while taking the risks associated with their decisions.

You are doing the same each day you put a hand load into your firearms and yet each day you have learned from this site by experienced individuals who have cast, reloaded and shot hand loads for years out of various firearms old and new. If the argument you have with this thread as any merit in your eyes then reloading in general and this site all together is encouragement enough to not be here. However I don't think you feel this way with over 1,700 posts. Non of us have given poor advice, and no one is making anybody do anything they choose not to do. Just the same as no one is forcing you to hand load, cast boolits etc.