PDA

View Full Version : Shelves on Loading bench?

DonMountain
02-15-2015, 09:35 PM
My loading bench that I have 4 reloading presses mounted on plus an RCBS LAM-II for lubing cast boolets measures 30" deep and 6 feet wide. One of the presses used for case reforming is mounted on one end and the LAM-II is mounted on the other end. The bench is wide enough that I am planning to add two shelves at the rear of the bench stacked 8" clear high for a total of 16" plus the thickness of the center shelf. There will be a center support on the 6' span. And I have decided to use 1x10 lumber that measures 9.25" wide with a 1/4" plywood back panel to add support. My question is, what loading does a shelf like this get for the typical containers of cast lead boolets and other associated reloading gear apply in an 8" tall space? Will a pine 1x10 with about a 3' span take this kind of loading without sagging much?

lightman
02-15-2015, 10:48 PM
A 3ft span probably would work, but bullets can get heavy pretty quick. I probably would put 2 supports and have 2ft spans. Consider using peg board for a backing.

pworley1
02-15-2015, 10:52 PM
I used 2x10's and have not had a problem with sagging.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Were I you, I would put my dies and other assorted reloading stuff above the bench in those shelves. For the lead boolits, I would make a shelf under the bench and part of the bench to store the lead boolits. This would add weight and make your bench as stable as possible. Too much weight over head and it collapses at the wrong time, someone could get hurt.

Mk42gunner
02-16-2015, 12:44 AM
I would use a 2x10 for the horizontal part. Over time the weight of even die sets in boxes will bow one inch stock.

I would also store the heavy stuff below the main bench.

Robert

Pressman
02-16-2015, 07:06 AM
1x10 pine from the home center will work. Yellow pine is better if you live in the south, much stronger. Oak or Maple is good, but $$$.

Unless you really load it down with lead boolits a 3ft span will not sag. Even if it should it is easy to cut a vertical spacer to slip between the shelves.
But, space your shelves 10" apart. 8 is really too close and you will regret it. 10" leaves room for those handy multi-drawer storage boxes along with all sorts of other stuff.
This is an older picture but it shows a 5.5ft span of yellow pine with only one center support. The drawer boxes are all full of boolits.

Ken

c1skout
02-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Wholey poop Pressman, that's quite the collection!

I've used some kind of white-faced 3/4inch thick sawdust based board to make shelves and bench tops. No sagging after several years.... but I have nowhere near a 6ft span, probably no more than 2ft.

Found some on the Home Depot site. http://www.homedepot.com/s/melamine?NCNI-5 I bought in a 4x8 sheet and cut how I wanted. Makes a nice easy to clean bench top.

RogerDat
02-17-2015, 12:14 AM
A stiffener of 1 inch x 1 3/4 or 2 inch running on edge horizontal under the back edge of a shelf can add a lot of strength to the shelf. Glue and screw to the under side of the shelf before install. The 90 degree edge to the shelf adds strength.

+1 on store the heavy lead down below in containers you bring up as you need them. Coffee can or plastic jugs work well. Might want to think about a place to put a 1 inch thick plywood box or cabinet for powder storage.

When I say 1 inch board I'm talking about "1 by" which is actually 3/4 inch thick. If you make the shelf out of plywood or particle board that is thicker then make the stiffener out of whatever you make the shelf out of.

Mark Daiute
02-17-2015, 12:53 AM
funny. My bench is either 30 or 36" wide. I'm going to divide it down the middle and make it two sided. I am forever reaching ACROSS PRESSES AND LUBRISIZERS for coffee canisters full of bullets or other stuff and it is a real Pita. Maybe the issue is that I am 5'-6" but Ihae having my bench that deep so I am actively making it shallower and I can't wait.

Cherokee
02-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Use 2x10 and never have to worry about it.