PDA

View Full Version : medallion stock

dead dog
02-15-2015, 06:07 PM
I found a stock for my 94 but it has a medallion cut in it. How large and deep would it be ? Would silver dollar fill it? Any other way to fill in ?

fouronesix
02-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Who knows. If done by or for Winchester or Marlin it probably was for one of their commemoratives or special runs. I don't know the dimensions of those medallions or even if they were of standard size.

If it were mine, I'd either fill it with a blank silver, nickel silver or brass "round" cut and filed to fit correctly, then engraved with some notation unique to me. If by chance it turns out to be silver dollar size, I'd get a "bag grade" silver dollar and simply glue it in place with some JB, making sure it set level with the wood surface.

I have an original Win M1873 that I've been tempted to inlet an 1873 dated DE gold piece into. The problem is- it won't change the value of the gold piece and would likely decrease the value of the '73.

I'd just wait and measure the inlet, then find a suitable filler. But IMO, would be best to use something "real" like the silver dollar or a good quality metal "round"- and not something like bondo, epoxy filler, plastic or some such!

crazy mark
02-17-2015, 02:20 AM
I have a 1969 Marlin 30-30 that had a cut where a medallion was. No medallion so I fixed the cut so a Man on the moon Commemorative would fit and epoxied it in. Not original but looks nice.

GoodOlBoy
02-17-2015, 02:24 AM
An old silver peso would also look nice in one.

GoodOlBoy

pietro
02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Even a concho would work - whatever floats your boat.

Some decent donors can be found by cruising flea market & yard sale jewelery and/or a National chain hobby store like Michael's, A.C.Moore, etc.

Any replacement should be the same diameter as the original medallion, or larger - just adjust the inlet to fit, diameter and/or depth.

I elected to inlet a US Indian Head Penny (coin) into the belly of the forestock of my .250 Savage rifle - YMMV.

dead dog
02-17-2015, 09:16 PM
I have not ordered yet ,its from Numrich . I wonder about their quality on it and 38-55 barrel they sell. It looks good on the internet.

bob208
02-19-2015, 05:17 PM
the stock and barrel are Winchester commemorative parts. so they would be the same quality as the rifles.

TXGunNut
02-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Seems like commemorative stocks were generally above average wood, would be tempting to find something to fill that void.