PDA

View Full Version : Culver Converted Lyman 55 - Any Opinions?

cuzinbruce
02-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Digging through a bunch of stuff I have had for years, I came across this powder measure. I think it is a Culver converted Lyman 55. Based, mainly, on the index card with powders and weights listed. Is it a Culver converted measure. Has anyone used one of these. And what do you think about them? I have seen the Culver stuff mentioned in connection with benchrest shooting and Culver seems to have a following. Seems a lot like the Harrell measures. Are these any good. I am thinking of starting to use it.
Thanks,
Bruce

LynC2
02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
I've never have seen one let alone used one. However if I recall correctly they had a good reputation from the days (many years ago) when I was shooting bench rest competition. I certainly would give it a try!

Outpost75
02-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Homer Culver was a mentor of mine when I was starting out. I have two of his measures, one is the standard rifle measure which handles up to a .300 H&H case, and the other is the pistol measure which accurately meters from 0.5 grain of Bullseye up to a 6mm PPC case with 28 grs. of H322.

The Harrel measure is a copy. The Culver is the real thing. Is yours serial numbered?

cuzinbruce
02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
I don't see any serial. Where would it be? Is it a Culver?

ray h
02-15-2015, 06:25 PM
I have one like yours, they are great measures. I load a lot of small cases and the steps (clicks) are bigger than a Harrels so mine doesn't get used much. One word of caution, if you decide to take it apart be very careful. Homer has a hidden set screw that's plugged covered. Homer was a true craftsman, it's very difficult to find. Just don't try to take the drum apart. All you need to do is remove the drum from the Lyman body to clean. You have a true piece of history made my a great machinist.

Outpost75
02-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Both of mine say H.L Culver on the adjustment knob,

Rifle measure is serial.no. 7, my pistol measure is not numbered.

too many things
02-15-2015, 08:23 PM
well as you see they didn't catch on . was good Idea at time but lot to lot of powder didn't work
was nice to use but the old system works better

cuzinbruce
02-15-2015, 09:27 PM
I don't see H. L. Culver anywhere. I do see a 3 on the edge of the brass piece closest to the orange handle. I didn't see that before as the adjustment was all the way in.

ray h
02-15-2015, 09:37 PM
It may be a copy, I thought Homer marked all of his. I have another that's marked Custom Products and was told that Neil Jones made it. I talked to Neil but he wouldn't confirm it till he saw it. It's exactly like my labeled Culver. I think there was a Hensley that made a version also.

btroj
02-16-2015, 12:23 AM
well as you see they didn't catch on . was good Idea at time but lot to lot of powder didn't work
was nice to use but the old system works better

How did they "not catch on"? That style of measure is still very commonly used in BR shooting. Many Highpower shooters use Harrell's measures with similar style rotors.

I sill always weigh charges before charging cases but being able to go back to a charge easily and repeatable is awesome.

I am jealous of Outpost 75 for having 2 classic powder measures. What a great treasure to own.

Green Frog
02-16-2015, 10:43 AM
How did they "not catch on"? That style of measure is still very commonly used in BR shooting. Many Highpower shooters use Harrell's measures with similar style rotors.

I sill always weigh charges before charging cases but being able to go back to a charge easily and repeatable is awesome.

I am jealous of Outpost 75 for having 2 classic powder measures. What a great treasure to own.

I was about to say this same thing... the reason that Harrell measures sell so well is based on the fact that Culver conversions (and their several imitators) were so very popular. Culver had a small operation, but he turned out a pretty good number of units; then others like Jones, et al made very similar copies (was there ever a patent issued?) and some continue to do so to this day. Because Harrell captured all the advantages of the Culver conversion in a purpose-built unit, it has become a sort of standard in the game now.

BTW, have any of you folks gone back and looked at the Ideal #5 Micrometer Powder Measure or the Schmitt conversions that were available for the #5s and #6s? A couple of obvious predecessors to the Culver and useful in their own right.

Froggie