PDA

View Full Version : aa easton big giant

winchester37
02-15-2015, 12:10 PM
New to forum, looking for information, parts, etc., for AA Easton Big Giant reloading press. The one I acquired seems well built, sturdy, needing to be used, but am lacking some parts, primarily the shellholder(s). it uses 7/8-14 dies.m

anybody got the original instruction manual(sheets)? drawings of shell holders or shellholders, or a way to modify to use standard shellholders? one for sale?

sure would appreciate any advise, help.

Thanks. The fun of these old machines is bringing them back to life.

LUBEDUDE
02-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah they are cool machines. Those not totally familiar with them will say that a Hollywood shellholder will work. But it is far from long enough.

I've never seen parts/accessories for sale, only the presses. Sal Pal here on the forum has a fantastic collection of Easton products. Perhaps he will chime in. Either he or Pressman may have written information.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-15-2015, 05:22 PM
If you don't have shell holders, but the press is in good shape, I suggest getting one of the machinists on the board to make you a custom shell holder adapter/extender to attach to the ram so you can use the press. Then you can use standard shell holders without any fuss.

Pressman
02-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Winchester, finding a real shellholder is going to be like finding a moon rock in your driveway.

The original used a long shank, one that extends through the carrier and has a nut on the bottom. You could have one made.
The attached picture shows how one person converted their Big Giant to RCBS shellholders. It works though changing them is really slow and cumbersome as the two little allen screws have to be removed to get the plate off. The plate has a simple slot that fits the shellholder. The shank of the shellholder drops into the original hole.
Another alternative may be to drill and tap a hole for a set screw through the front or rear or both if you wish of the carrier for set screws. AKA Herter's ram style.
I hate to see any of the more uncommon presses modified, but these ideas will get it up and running.
You did not mention if you have the primer punches. They are a simple rod that threads into the fitting at the bottom of the press. Very easily made. I have the instructions if you PM me with your email.
Ken

pressonregardless
02-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Hello Winchester, check your PM's.