PDA

View Full Version : Why no CZ 527 Varmint in 22 Hornet?

JDHasty
02-15-2015, 03:08 AM
Ruger makes a varmint barrel 22 Hornet, but I just am not interested. Nothing against Ruger in general, but I want a rifle to shoot chucks with, not tinker around with and a 77/22 based rifle is not something I want to deal with the potentialities of. I've been to that fire (with 22/77 based rifles) and I also belong to a club whose members have Ruger 77/22 Hornets and let's just leave it at: that is not the platform I am looking for for a splendidly accurate varmint rifle at this stage in my life.

I know how to make a 77/22 based rifle shoot, I just don't want to deal with correcting inherent design features in a 77/22 based rifle.

I also have absolutely nothing against 17 caliber rifles, I own a Harrington & Richardson Ultra Wildcat in 17 Remington and can say without reservation that if you ever have the opportunity - buy an Ultra Wildcat, especially in 17 Rem.

I bought four Douglas Ultra Rifled barrels when H&R was in bankruptcy and today have a fresh one on my rifle and one spare in my safe. Don't let the kids out of your sight with it if you get your hands on one or you will be sending it to Pac Nor to replicate that pencil thin barrel. The little rascal shoots sub half-inch groups, but only weighs about five pounds. Shooting like you are defending against the charge of the Light Brigade will take the barrel home.

But I digress. CZ offers the 17 Hornet in "varmint" configuration and I have been "this close" to saying: get me one. At least ten times. But I am getting north of 3250 across our Oehlers with a 40 grain Vmax with the 22 Hornet out of my sporter barrel CZ American.

If CZ were to offer this configuration in 22 Hornet I would order one tomorrow. I have a 527 American in 22 Hornet and I have a 4-20 Nitrex w/fine crosshairs mounted on it and have to turn the power down to ~12 to see the bullet impact.

I am shooting this rifle out to ~250 yards and the older I get the more antisocial I get in my chuck shooting habits. More and more, I like to just head out by myself with my seat cushion, rifle, binocular and a laser rangefinder and climb to the top of a talus slope between where a couple chuck colonies den and sit there all morning with only myself as company.

There are two reasons that I prefer the 22 Hornet over the 17 Hornet, and they are the 40 gr Vmax boattail bullet and Lil' Gun powder. Without either of these I would have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet sitting in my safe today.

Actually Calhoon's single shot loading adapter for the CZ and his altered magazine for the 19 Calhoon are also major contributing factors, because without one or both you cannot seat this bullet long enough to not have the ogive behind the case mouth, leaving a gap. FYI Don't try single loading a 527 off the top of the mag, you will only break your extractor.

I suppose you could trim your brass back, but since they are both out there, and readily available, you don't have to resort to such an extraordinary measure. Beside that, the 527 22 Hornet likes it's bullets seated out close to the lands for best accuracy anyway.

When you put these four factors together... in the CZ 527, the 17 Hornet only has novelty to recommend it over what is a hundred plus year old cartridge. It most certainly does not have killing power at the margins of the effective range of both cartridges.

If you can afford to buy and feed a rifle, you can scrounge up a Benjamin for a laser range finder that is good for two and a half bucks. Trajectory, while it was a consideration, really isn't as important as wind any longer. Is it? Actually, with a laser and a trajectory table taped to your butt stock... if you miss low or high on a six inch target it is because you were not paying attention.

This 527 is my "dream offering" from a rifle company. When I look at what CZ has done with the 527 in order to expand their market: i.e. a stock only a mother could love on their Kevlar varmint rifle, it leaves me scratching my head. Riflemen are a conservative lot and that morphadite monstrosity was never going to interest more newcomers to come into the CZ fold than selling a second, or in my case fourth 527 would be to believers who are already sold on the CZ brand.

In case I have not bored you to sleep by now with my ramblings on what is on my mind this time of year: the upcoming varmint season. My second choice would be a Browning/Winchester Low Wall with a heavy barrel in 22 Hornet.

As for my theoretical discussion above re: a heavy barreled 22 Hornet, we have a 22-250 barrel that has the throat shot out of it and are going to cut it off at the muzzle & recrown it and ahead of the burned out throat and then turn it down and use a Contender barrel stub to fit it to a Contender frame and then chamber it for 22 Hornet then shoot it at the range this year just to see if a shooter can see bullets impact at 100 to 200 yards with a 20 power scope on it.

I have a "Bantam" shoulder stock for my contender frame and have promised it too my six-year old daughter and have no intention of "reclaiming" it, or I might just be fine with that as my heavy barrel 22 hornet. I really want a CZ 527 Varmint in 22 Hornet though.

Screwbolts
02-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Just curious, How do those 17s handle cast?

You may have to write or call CZ to get the reason they aren't offering the Hornet in a heavy to lug around varmint weight rifle. I know there standard weight rifles will/ are capable of ringing out all the Hornet has to offer. I am sure it has to do with sales and bottom line.

Take a look at What NOE offers in the 45 to 47 gr 22 cal cast boolit molds. I personally have a 6 cav of the 47 gr version from BRP that is capable of 2700+ out of good K-hornet and nearly that from Hornet barrels. I personally witnessed the removal of the head of a starling at my home range with a 22 Hornet rifle. The bird was setting on my 150 yard target holder as a fellow member here was shooting at a hanging tennis ball. Bad move on birds part.

Ken

richhodg66
02-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Interesting post, but it kinda rambles. Do I take it you want a varmint weight barreled rifle in .22 Hornet and CZ doesn't offer one?

One shop here has the new offering from Savage. Bolt action single shot with a heavy barrel and Accu Trigger. I thought about it for a while and I'm sure it'll shoot well, but my interest in the Hornet is that it can be chambered in diminutive rifles that are more like .22 rimfires and then loading it down for use as a stalking/small game rifle. My Savage 219 does that very well and I now have an old Stevens 322 to work with that should as well. I have .223s and a .22-250 if I ever need a long range varmint rifle.

Those CZ527s sure do look nice, I probably should have gotten one of those instead of the Stevens and may yet some day.

JDHasty
02-15-2015, 12:21 PM
There are a half-dozen CZ American 22 Hornets at the club I belong to and they are all deadly accurate. That is not the reason I would like a bit more barrel weight. The reason is that the recoil bounces the scope off target and I cannot see bullet splashes.

The 527 Varmint is not in the same class weight wise as a Remington 700 Varmint. I figure that if I leave off my Harris Bipod that I never can get in position to shoot off up on the rocks with and always end up shooting off a knee and put a 6.5-20 Leupold instead of the half pound heavier 4-20 Weaver on it it will be about the same weight as my current CZ Americans.

I really don't care for diminutive rifles, I have three 22 LR rifles, a Model 52c Sporter, a Kimber Mini-Classic and a BRNO that I shoot quite a bit, they are all fairly substantial. I also have a Marlin Mod 60 that is a bit lighter.

seagiant
02-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi,
I would rate the CZ rifles "best bang for the buck" if they have anything CLOSE to what you want!!!

M-Tecs
02-15-2015, 03:25 PM
I really want a CZ 527 Varmint in 22 Hornet though.

I am with you. I have an American that I love in 22 Hornet but I made the mistake of getting a Varmint in 221 Fireball. I haven't played with it that much but I am finding that the Hornet is staying home more. The 22 is probably going to become a K-Hornet soon.

JDHasty
02-15-2015, 07:13 PM
I am with you. I have an American that I love in 22 Hornet but I made the mistake of getting a Varmint in 221 Fireball. I haven't played with it that much but I am finding that the Hornet is staying home more. The 22 is probably going to become a K-Hornet soon.

Have you been shooting Lil' Gun. I am not all that sure that the incredible velocity w/ high accuracy can be increased by rechambering it to K Hornet over a standard Hornet if you are using it as I use mine. I have not been having case loss issues, YMMV on that though and from what I have heard the K Hornet does wonders in that regard. I adjust my FL die up so that it just works the neck of the brass and have not had any tight chambering issues either. The Hodgdon people told me that Lil' Gun does not operate at high peak pressures as other powders do in the Hornet and that probably has lots to do with that dynamic.

M-Tecs
02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Yes I am using Lil' Gun. The biggest reason I want a K is so all my chambers are the same. I have the CZ and two Contender barrels in 22 Hornet. Since I do my own work and I own my own reamers I like my chambers to be as close to the same as I can make them.

rollmyown
02-15-2015, 08:00 PM
My fantasy CZ is a 527 Lux chambered in 218 Bee

osteodoc08
02-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Buy a used CZ rifle and have it rebarreled.

Alan in GA
02-17-2015, 10:42 AM
I shot 500 rounds of 221FireBall out of my CZ 527 American when in Montana...ground squirrels. It was super accurate with 1680/40 Vmax bullets, but after a few hundred rounds I kept thinking..."ok, NEAT rifle, but with a LOT of fired rounds I think a VARMINT version would be 'better'"
Same logic. I sold the 221FB barrel and replaced it with a 17 Mach IV Pac Nor Super Match SS barrel,...in Varmint contour. I like the 17s, but the 221FB is a great round and I miss it.

Bigslug
02-20-2015, 09:49 AM
If I had to guess at the "why?" they don't make one. . .

The Hornet isn't really regarded as a sit-down-and-heat-up-the-barrel-while-you-wipe-out-a-prairie-dog-town-from-the-next-zip-code-over sort of varmint cartridge. It's perceived as more of a single-snap-shot-at-a-solitary-critter-without-making-a-lot-of-noise sort of varmint cartridge. Hence the lack of perceived need for a benchrest version.

Me? I'd like to see it with faster twists and maybe longer throats for heavier slugs. 70 grain subsonics, anyone?

waco
02-22-2015, 07:17 PM
I have a 527 American in .221 Fireball. Great little rifle. I have had good luck too with Lil Gun and a 40gr V max. IMR4198 is my next go to powder. Sweet little walking around gun. You can't beat the single set trigger!

GabbyM
02-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Waco: Before you try 4198. Take a look at AA LT-32. It's slower than 4198 a bit and is small grain to meter great. They have a new LT-30 with a speed to match 4198. I can't endorse it as I just received my 8lb jug this week. Plan is light bullet 223 in my 12" twist AR-15. That always has shot best with the fast 4198 powder over the slower ones. Plus my 222 Rem with cast bullets. I tried H-4198 which is shorter grain but it still is troublesome to meter at the smaller charges for cast bullets.

To the OP's question. Yes and why not a 222 Rem? Which is a far superior varmint round to a 223.

altheating
02-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but does the 527 American in hornet or 221 fireball have a flush magazine or does it hang down under the trigger guard?

M-Tecs
02-22-2015, 09:57 PM
It hangs down under the trigger guard,

altheating
02-22-2015, 10:00 PM
That's what I thought. I would love one but that mag hanging down turns me off. Anyone modify one to make it flush? So it don't look like $#|+. ?

waco
02-22-2015, 11:47 PM
I thought it would bug me too, but it's really not that big of deal.
As for 4198, automatic powder measurer. It all meteres just fine!

M-Tecs
02-22-2015, 11:50 PM
http://jamescalhoon.com/

SINGLE SHOT FOLLOWER FOR THE CZ 527 - NEW ! From James Calhoon Mfg.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/ssf1-thm.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/ssf1.jpg) . . . . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/ssf2-thm.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/boltingun.jpg)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/follower_2.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/follower.jpg)No more hangin' down magazine! No more having to load your magazine in a panic! Finally , a slick and practical alternative to the bulky magazine in the otherwise excellent and popular little CZ 527 Mauser action. James Calhoon Mfg. converts many CZ 527 rifles to the 19 Calhoon (Hornet) and 19 Badger and 19-223 cartridges, and has designed and manufactured a single shot follower that completely replaces the original magazine. Made of steel, this sturdy and attractive unit easily snaps in to fit flush with the trigger guard, instantly improving appearance and handling. Just lay in a round and it feeds in fast and smooth! Simply revert to your magazine whenever desirable. Two types of Single Shot Follower are available for the CZ 527. "S" TYPE is for the 22 Hornet, 221, 222 and of course, 19 Calhoon and 19 Badger. "L" TYPE is for the 19-223, 17 Rem, 204, and 223 Rem.

waco
02-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Very cool. I might have to get one!

Alan in GA
02-24-2015, 02:07 AM
'Bob's' makes the same single shot adapter out of black Delrin. Works great and lighter than the Calhoun steel SS adapter. I own both.

M-Tecs
02-24-2015, 07:53 PM
'Bob's' makes the same single shot adapter out of black Delrin. Works great and lighter than the Calhoun steel SS adapter. I own both.

I don't know "Bob's" got a link?

GabbyM
02-25-2015, 11:33 AM
http://originalbobsled.com/

That's it. Bobsled. I am wondering if they hold the round so it gets picked up and under the claw or just pushed in.

M-Tecs
02-25-2015, 12:34 PM
http://originalbobsled.com/

That's it. Bobsled. I am wondering if they hold the round so it gets picked up and under the claw or just pushed in.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

3006mv
03-21-2015, 11:16 PM
there is a ? 3 round mag at midwayusa but you have to cut that
mag well for it to fit flush

3006mv
03-21-2015, 11:18 PM
http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html

GabbyM
03-22-2015, 08:20 AM
After a time for the look to grow on me. I like it. Recalls the SMLE. I never notice the magazine getting in the way. But then I also like the LUX hog back stock.

Crash_Corrigan
03-22-2015, 08:34 PM
I have a pair of CZ rifles. One is the .22 LR Varmint version and the other a FS in .223. With the unavailability of .22 lr ammo I have not shot it in years. However the .223 is joy to carry and shoot. With a small Leupold scope it delivers reliable accuracy if the wind cooperates. tt is so light and handy so the AR series of black rifles holds not a bit of attraction for me at all.