PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there with a good load for 100 gr xtp in a 327 Single Seven?

JDHasty
02-15-2015, 01:05 AM
Just got my revolver back from Ruger and tried up to 13.2 gr of W296. Accuracy was terrible. Can't keep it in the black on a B3 at 25 yards.

The gun shoots 100 gr Fed American Eagle into sub 2" groups now at 25 yards though, so it isn't the gun or operator error.

I have some Lil' Gun and 2400 sitting around and thought I would give them a try. But let's hear your experience.

We have a SSM that we use this bullet in for shooting black tail does and shot every conceivable 32 cal bullet into milk jugs and this one stayed together and mushroomed perfectly, none of the others jacketed bullets did. I have a boatload of 22 LR revolvers and pistols and they suit me just fine for target shooting and I am so much more a rifleman than pistolero. I suppose I could put a scope on it and use it for varmint shooting, but shooting chucks with a revolver just isn't my bag.

I am kinda' wedded to this specific bullet or I will sell the gun. It doesn't interest me for any other purpose other than as a small compact deer hunting revolver. The SSM does a great job, but I thought this Single Seven would be just that much better. The purchase was made with horsepower/weight and size ratio in mind. That is why the Blackhawk never really interested me.

wrench man
02-15-2015, 02:31 AM
I believe that it was the last issue of "Hand Loader" Brian Pierce did a big write up on loads for the 327 Federal and the Single Seven.

Guesser
02-15-2015, 12:03 PM
A#9 and 2400 seem to be better for me that H110/296. I don't shoot the light bullets unless it is factory ammo I'm shooting out for the cases. I've never loaded the 100 gr. anything. My cast GC 311316 is the only thing I use. Try the 2400.

Fergie
02-15-2015, 05:14 PM
I just started working on some .327 loads for the 100gr XTP yesterday, and have yet to go out and shoot them. I started with a max load in from the .32 H&R at 3.5gr of BE, then some at 4.0 gr of BE, all with WSP primers.

I've been working off of the book data, and the data here:
http://www.reloadammo.com/327fed-mag.htm

And this thread has some good info too.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312

And this article as well:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st_reloadingthe327_200902/

As said above, check out the newest Handloader for some great info on the .327 with lots of differ projectiles and powders.

sixshot
02-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Brian Pearce was getting excellent results with the 100 XTP & Longshot powder at about 1350 fps. Can't remember the charge but its in Handloader mag, feb. issue, page 28. He got complete penetration on a large male coyote with that load.

Dick

JDHasty
02-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Brian Pearce was getting excellent results with the 100 XTP & Longshot powder at about 1350 fps. Can't remember the charge but its in Handloader mag, feb. issue, page 28. He got complete penetration on a large male coyote with that load.

Dick

Thanks, called and ordered a copy of that issue.

rintinglen
02-19-2015, 02:32 PM
I have had poor results with that bullet in limited testing. Pearce thought highly of that bullet and Power Pistol but I got 5 inch groups. I had just put 5 LBT 32-100'swc's into an inch with 12.3 grains of H-110, and shot another couple of groups afterwards that were decent. I have loaded up ten more XTP's with 2400 and will give them a try tonight, along with some other loads. So far, I have had my best result's with H-110. Unique is ok, and I am going to give WW-231 a shot, but Power pistol is out of the running. Titewad has worked very well in the 32 S&W Long from this gun and the 314-640-100 grain MP is the best boolit so far. The LBT shows promise as well , though.

I'll be darned if I can figure out how the guys in the magazines get those 200 load 2000 round tests done. I've been working on these tests for 3 months and am barely through 10 loads. I have 4 more I want to try tonight, though.

sixshot
02-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Brian Pearce used 7.0 grs. of Longshot with the 100 gr. XTP & was getting 1353 fps. He got complete penetration on that coyote with it & it must have been very accurate or he wouldn't have been packing it.

Dick

rintinglen
02-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Figures, that's one powder not on my shelf.

Fergie
02-20-2015, 12:30 AM
I'll be headed out tomorrow to test some 100gr XTPs and some W231 to see how it does. Actually, everything from 32 SWL wadcutters up to some hot .327s, and everything in between.

Should be great, and I'll report back with how the loads did.

dougader
02-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Where did you find the data for your 327 load with the 231 powder?

Fergie
02-20-2015, 03:31 PM

http://www.reloadammo.com/327fed-mag.htm

About midway down the page.

I loaded mine at 5.4gr of 231 and on 21 shots, had extraction issues on three rounds. All were federal nickel cases, no problem with the starline brass.

No holdover needed at 50 yards on a milk jug, but that was as about as scientific as I got on the grouping. Recoil wasn't bad either.

Fergie
02-22-2015, 01:52 AM

I was just browsing through the Hogdon site, and the same data is listed under the 100gr XTP with an HP-38 load...same powder as 231. so I trust it the same as a manual.

rintinglen
02-22-2015, 02:19 PM
My trip to the range was a bust. I had a bad case of the fuzzies on my front sight and was not able to keep a clean sight picture. However, 10.0 grains of 2400 seemed to show promise. I will have to try it again with more rounds loaded. I only did 10 each of 4 different boolits and 2 loads. I am going to have to spring for a Merit optical aid. After 40 shots, things got so blurry, I just gave up trying to shoot groups iron sighted and ran some rounds through my SBH, which has a scope. I was regularly popping a small boulder about 150 yards out with some MP 432-640's over 18.5 grains of 2400. A buck, even the small ones here in California would have been a goner.

leftiye
02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
A#9 and 2400 seem to be better for me that H110/296. I don't shoot the light bullets unless it is factory ammo I'm shooting out for the cases. I've never loaded the 100 gr. anything. My cast GC 311316 is the only thing I use. Try the 2400.

Plus 1 on the AA#9 being the best HV powder for both the .32 H&R mag. and .327 magnum. My S&W model 10 with .327 chamber (model 16) and .32 barrel (model 16) shoots quite accurately with #9. I don't go to max loads though.

JDHasty
03-08-2015, 03:40 AM
" I had a bad case of the fuzzies on my front sight and was not able to keep a clean sight picture."

I can relate. If it were not for the fact that I have a couple masterpieces, a Smith 41 and a 357 Herrett Contender, a Smith Magna Classic and a Freedom Arms there have been many a day when I would have written myself off as born to be a rifleman. There has never been a day when I shot a handgun that was all over the place that I did not blame myself and think I just am not cut out to ever shoot handguns decently.

The fact of the matter is that handguns have never interested me the way my rifles interest me and for some reason I just don't give them the respect they deserve. That being said, when ever I shoot any of the above, which are a known commodity, I shoot them about as well as they are capable of (one inch groups at 25 yards with open sights).

This exercise is in interest of breaking an old habit and seeking out a load the way I would with a varmint rifle that will not soot under 3/4 at a hundred yards instead of just saying: "I am going to sell it." Truth be known, this revolver would just sit in my safe and gather dust with company of other firearms that I lost interest in.

I really appreciate you pistoleros keeping me focused on this revolver. It will be used to hunt blacktails from treestands with. I

t is a compact powerhouse that has just that much more power than our SSM does, is much more compact than our Freedom Arms revolver or Smith 44s, and offers a second shot the way our 357 Herrett Contender doesn't.

We hunt a firearms restricted area with Ithaca Deerslayer II slug guns. It is shotgun or handgun only and if you are in a treestand and a deer you want comes in over your right shoulder you are screwed without a handgun. This little powerhouse will be "just the ticket" if we can get her figured out.

I am going to put the expander into my drill press and polish it down to .385 like the article suggests and also crimp the dookey out of loads with H110 and try them again. Just to be sure that too little grip on the bullet is not what ails us but I am also looking for some Longshot to try.

I ordered the Handloader issue and read it.

Oh for the days of Watters' Pet Loads, I would still be a subscriber! But I digress. What a treasure that man's ability to cut to the chase was. Without Ken Waters I really doubt the magazine would have held my interest for two consecutive issues. God bless him. I am not a subscriber today and I never thought I would say that two decades ago. Enough said on that subject.

We need ~1" groups at 25 yards AT THE RANGE because a blacktail's heart is not much bugger that 2". A Handgun, any handgun, except the Freedom Arms just doesn't have the hydraulic shock to "put them down and keep em' down" even with a double lunger. That is where the 357 Contender falls short. We shoot every blacktail that has been dropped a second time right in the lungs just to keep them down with every handgun we own except the Freedom Arms.

I could go into blacktail hunting in detail, but that topic has been thoroughly discussed already at length. They live in a jungle in western Washington and it rains in buckets here during hunting season. If they get up and run.... you are lucky if you can track them ten yards.

We have ten or fifteen minutes to follow a blood trail before rain washes it away. When we hit them with our slug guns or our cross bows we have a half hour MAX. They are bleeding by the bucket. With a 30 caliber entrance hole or even a 44 caliber hole - forget about it. Hit em' again in the lungs again and anchor them when they fall to your first shot even if they are not moving.

But the first shot just is best to be in the heart. That way they will drop them for good within ten yards and with a handgun entrance wound you will not have a blood trail anyway. Hit them again just to be sure. But this takes me away from why 1" at 25 is essential, the goal is to take out the heart with the first shot IN THE FIELD. That way the follow up is just academic. 1" at the range ensures confidence in 2" in the field. That means a heart shot.

That is why this revolver must perform to that standard. And again I thank you pistoleros for keeping me interested and once varmint season is behind us I will get back to sorting this revolver out.