PDA

View Full Version : Making homemade gas checks

afish4570
03-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Several years ago in the Handloader magazine there was an article on the Wilk Gas Check (I think Wilk died) But what is the feasibility of a tool to make your own alum beer can type or copper (probably too costly). afish4570[smilie=1::roll::roll:

Buckshot
03-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Several years ago in the Handloader magazine there was an article on the Wilk Gas Check (I think Wilk died) But what is the feasibility of a tool to make your own alum beer can type or copper (probably too costly). afish4570[smilie=1::roll::roll:

...............It can be done, and there is a guy who is selling such on E-Bay (he's a member here too). The Wilke GC were actually copper rings laid into the drive band areas of special made or altered moulds. The blocks were closed and the lead poured in. Good well made ones were very effective and you could really pour the coal to'em.

................Buckshot

yarro
03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Cans are bad. Aluminum oxidizes the instant it is exposed to oxygen. Aluminum oxide is abrasive. Not a good thing to have going down your bore. Zinc or copper are bore safe.

PatMarlin
03-06-2008, 12:45 AM
You can buy copper sheet stock too. Big debate though on whether of not alum gas checks are bad.

porkchop bob
03-06-2008, 02:10 AM
alum cans are used to contain food, even coke, for long periods before opening. When opened, the inside is nice and shiney. I expect they would stay that way stored in an ammo can until they are used and loaded. Alum is softer than iron and much softer than mild steel. For those who tumble and polish their brass, I expect there is a slight amount of the polishing compound that is mixed with the hot gas when the round is fired. Alum cleaning rods do become embedded with all sorts of grit. Is it the alum rod that damages the bore or the embedded grit? We all have opinions. Few have the time, equipment and dollars to test and to measure wear and tear of alum vs brass gas checks.

Bob

Swagerman
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I've made those type of holed gas checks by using my hollow base nose punch on the bullet base with a regular gas check.

The only thing is it makes a hollow base as well.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PC210010closeupofgaschecksHB540X.jpg