MtGun44
02-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Anybody own one of these pistols? Any comments on quality, reliability and
accuracy? Fit and finish?

Bill

Catshooter
02-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Bill,

The Star I used to have was a "B" not the super.

However, it was very well made and shot well and reliably with boolits and jacketed. Fit and finish was good to pretty good.

Magazines were a bit tough to find extras and you have to watch out for after market ones. The aren't as good quality, but mine still worked well.

Cat

kungfustyle
02-15-2015, 03:05 AM
We have a Star PD 45ACP. Back when they were new in the 70's or so they were $400 guns. You can get replacement springs at Wolfs and midway. But as for fit and Finnish they have an aluminum frame so you have to have a recoil buffer and replace it about every 2k rounds. All and all if you can get it for $300 or less its a fun gun that shoots great. You should test your rounds that you are going to shoot because they have a tight chamber and will fff if the rounds are not just so. I field strip the barrel and plop test each round. Pain sometimes, but its better than doing it at the range. If you shoot jacketed and get a Lee Factory crimp die you should be good to go, but that isn't the best for cast accuracy.

FLHTC
02-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Had one in 9mm Largo and used 38 Super cases. It shot fine but I gave it as a birthday present. I had it reblued too. It was beautiful. Mine was a B Super

dubber123
02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I have a BM, the short model. Mine resides in my sisters nightstand now, but I shot it quite a bit when I had it. I liked the feel, and thought it was well built. I have heard they are "softish" in the steel department, but I loaded mine pretty hot, and never saw any wear. I managed to put a magazine full on a standard sized shoe box at 100 yds., so it shot pretty well too. I only paid $200ish for mine in the box back in the 90's

MtGun44
02-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Thanks, guys.

Bill

rintinglen
02-17-2015, 01:09 PM
I like mine a lot, but it doesn't get shot much due to the difficulty in finding brass. I only shoot it outdoors where I can retrieve my brass, which keeps it in the safe most of the year. It actually fits my hand better than a 1911. I got mine for 99.99 on sale back in 93. It would not function well with the Blazer Aluminum case stuff, but once I turned the heads on some 38 super brass, I was off to the races. I was able to get 300 good Starline cases year before last, so that is what I use now.

MtGun44
02-18-2015, 03:07 AM
The one I am looking at is in 9mm Para, so brass is not too much of an issue.

Just trying to see if it is junk or not.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-18-2015, 07:13 PM
I've got two of the Supers in 9x19mm that I've owned for about 12 years. Good quality, fun to shoot, accurate. You probably can't get a better pistol for the money. The only caution I would extend is that it is going to become increasingly difficult to obtain parts as Star is long out of business. Happily, I've never had one break.

MtGun44
02-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Are the mags for Super B in 9mm Para the same as the 9mm Largo?

Der Gebirgsjager
02-28-2015, 11:44 AM
I have always used them interchangeably. I'm not certain how they came from the factory--if there was a difference in the original equipment. Putting them side by side, I can observe no difference. I have noticed that some magazines tend to hold the cartridge more firmly than others, and that the top round will work it's way forward. To clarify--if you insert a loaded mag into the pistol and chamber a round, carry the pistol around for a couple of days, then withdraw the magazine you will often find that the top round has moved forward in the magazine and will sometimes even fall out loose. But I've never had one fail to feed. I'm not certain if that is because it is a 9x19mm round in a 9mm Largo mag, or if it is due to worn feed lips or a weak follower spring. I use a Star Mod. B (not Super--but I do own 4 of them, 2 each 9x19mm and Largo) as a carry gun and I replaced the magazines with new ones from Triple-K. Like I said, the movement of the top round is not an issue with all mags. Another thing to look for with the used mags is cracking at the very rear of the right side feed lip, also frequently observed in Astra 400 pistol mags.

gwpercle
02-28-2015, 03:10 PM
I had a Star Model PS, 45 acp. 1911 type with no grip safety and a pivoting trigger, It was stolen and I replaced it with an AMT Hardballer. Still miss the Star, accurate , well made and shot every boolit profile I put thru it. I liked it and would get another.
Gary

Der Gebirgsjager
02-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Kind of hard to do, Gary--but they are around. Too bad Star went out of business as they made a good product. The current crop of used Star pistols that are now on the market seem mostly to be ex-Israeli police guns. If you can get one in good condition they are worth the money. Here's my Hardballer. I changed out the grips and added an extended slide stop.132347

MtGun44
03-01-2015, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the mag info. Will be getting a few spares and need to have
some clue.