PDA

View Full Version : Super Blackhawk, checked with pin gauges, should be good to go.

BK7saum
02-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Just picked up a super blackhawk from by uncle with a 7.5 inch barrel. It was made in late 80s I think. I used to shoot it a bit when I was younger. Anyway, it is showing some age, but is still nice and tight. I was curious about cylinder throats and decides to pin gauge it.

They were a little larger than I expected but seemed a consistent 0.432". Is this normal for a 44 ruger? I don't have a problem with it, as my cowboy marlin gets fed 0.432" cast boolits anyway.

I dropped a 0.416" gauge all the way through from muzzle to forcing cone. A 0.417" would fit but a little ways into the muzzle. So, there doesn't appear to be any significant thread choke.

Now I just need to feed her a few and she how she does.

Brad

MtGun44
02-14-2015, 11:45 PM
Sounds good. Using throat diam boolits gives the boolit best alignment support as it leaves the brass,
and not having a constriction means it will be a good fit all the way down, not swaged down in the
threads and rattling down the rest.

Should be a good one.

Bill

DougGuy
02-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Your Ruger was made when they were gang reaming cylinders 3 at a time, on a Hitachi machine with 3 cutters. It would plunge 3 chambers, index one hole, and plunge the remaining 3. The problems with this comes when those reamers get worn because Ruger never changed them 3 at a time unless they all wore out about the same, they would often change one reamer at a time, so the new reamer cut a larger hole, and you often had a cylinder with a pair of .432" throats, a pair of .430" throats and a pair of .429" throats from the reamers being in various stages of wear. Very common to find cylinders like this. I suspect this is more the norm than ones with 6 evenly sized throats.

If you can size to .432" and push a .432" boolit into all 6 of the throats with finger pressure, you are golden!

BK7saum
02-15-2015, 06:27 AM
MtGun44 and DougGuy,

Thanks for your input. I enjoy reading you posts regarding revolvers and the. 44.

Yes, I think this will be a good one. I haven't tried to push 0.432 sized boolits through yet, but think they'll be a light press fit as they should be.

Brad

44man
02-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Common, My throats are all .4324" and I shoot down to .430 with no problems. My groove is .430". My boolits run from .430" to .432" and all shoot. I feel it is over blown to fit tight to throats.
You dropped a pin down the barrel but that will be bore, not groove. Fit to groove to a few thou over.

BK7saum
02-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Yes, the pin gauge in the bore was just a quick check for thread choke at the frame. I haven't had a chance to slug the bore yet and each throat in the cylinder. I probably will just so I know what they are. At this time I'm pretty comfortable that 0.431-0.432 boolits should shoot well.

44man
02-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Yes, the pin gauge in the bore was just a quick check for thread choke at the frame. I haven't had a chance to slug the bore yet and each throat in the cylinder. I probably will just so I know what they are. At this time I'm pretty comfortable that 0.431-0.432 boolits should shoot well.
They will indeed. Don't get out of sorts. The revolver is different but also very easy.