PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Lube-Sizer

WyrTwister
03-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I just finished lube-sizing some .454 bullets for .45 LC .

I push the handle down , advance the ratchet a little to feed lube and raise the handle . But I end up cycleing the bullet a second time ( w/o feeding any more lube with the ratchet ) to get the grooves full .

Is this SOP ? Am I doing this right ?

God bless
Wyr

quickshot
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
you might have to turn the ratchet a little more. I have no idea what kind of lube you are using (hard or soft lube) I run lars red through mine. I generally crank the ratchet a little less than a 1/4 turn and I can get 2 boolits worth of lube out of it before I need to crank it again. You might have to wait a little longer before you raise the boolit up. you might try a little heat to soften up the lube. That might help groove fill out some.

beagle
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
You didn't say where you were doing this. If the lube's cold, it will do the same thing. If acold place, place a light bulb next to the sizer for a few minutes and back off the pressure a bit and let the lube warm. Should do all right./beagle

floodgate
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
WyrTwister:

Perfectly OK, if you're not in a rush. I usually start out with light pressure, eject and look at the boolits, and hit them again - adjusting pressure and dwell-time as I go until I get good fill and no excess "bleed" on the first stroke; then one pass each thereafter.

Fg

mroliver77
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I try to match the lube grooves with the feed holes in the die in addition to what the others have said.
J

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 06:56 AM
You didn't say where you were doing this. If the lube's cold, it will do the same thing. If acold place, place a light bulb next to the sizer for a few minutes and back off the pressure a bit and let the lube warm. Should do all right./beagle

Light bulb is what I use for a heater in the winter . Will do that on the next batch .

Adjusted the " depth " so lube does not push past the part of the nose of the bullet , where the nose starts to turn round .

God bless
Wyr

oldfartz
03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Lyman recently changed their some of their sizing dies so the holes are 90 degrees apart instead of 180. Makes it easier to get lube in. Had same problem, new sizing die, no problem!

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Lyman recently changed their some of their sizing dies so the holes are 90 degrees apart instead of 180. Makes it easier to get lube in. Had same problem, new sizing die, no problem!

Thanks . :-)

I am too cheap to replace the dies I have , but that is encouraging , if I have to buy any more .

Can you get a Lyman die and punch for .460 ? RCBS ?

My cousin and I lapped a Lee sizing die from .457" to .460" .

God bless
Wyr

Rat-Man
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
WyrTwister:

You could do what I did, I got so tired of a .452 die with 2 sets of holes at 180 degrees, that I decided to fix it or tear it up trying.
I went to the hardware store and bought a 1/8 hammer drill bit and sharpened the edges with a diamond knife sharpener. Ran that sucker at high speed in a drill press and drilled right thru the die out the other side.
Now it has holes at 90 degrees. Worked great for me no burrs on the inside or any other problems and now it lubes a bullet in one pass.