PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first 45 Colt bullets today.

bigarm
02-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Cast a bunch of 45 Colt bullets with my new Accurate mould today, 45-250DC. Poured a little heavy, about 270. I am sure that is partly because I had the lube grooves eliminated. They came out nice. Did manage to destroy my .452 sizing die, however. I got a bullet stuck in it. Took the die out of the press and tried using a punch to knock it out. Just managed to destroy it. Sized the remainder at .454. I checked the cylinder with .452 and it appeared that would work on my Smith 25. Should I load a few at .454 just to try in the Smith and the Rossi 92? I need to powder coat them, hopefully tomorrow or at least part of them.

btroj
02-14-2015, 10:47 PM
With no grooves I assume you are coating them? If so, try a touch of soap on the bullets for lube, it will rinse off with water quite well. It should not hinder the coating process if all soap residue is rinsed off.
One thing I have noticed with the Lee push thru sizers is that it takes far less force to size if the die is adjusted so the base of the pusher is just short of touching the bottom of the die at full extension of the ram.
Get the die lower than that and it requires more effort to push the bullet thru the die.

bigarm
02-14-2015, 11:17 PM
Yes, they are to be powder coated. Thanks for the hints. I should have raised the die, but didn't. They were going through with a small effort and then all of a sudden I had a terrible time. I am not sure why the change, but it was radical.

btroj
02-14-2015, 11:25 PM
You might even need to use a bit of case lube every so often on them. No grooves means more surface area getting sized, that increases the effort required.
If you do use a lube just wash it off with an appropriate solvent.

bangerjim
02-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Next time you get a slug of lead stuck in a sizing die, centerpunch the lead and (in a drillpress!!!) start off with a small 1/8" drill. Keep increasing until there is about 1/32" lead ring left and then you can pry/knock it out easlly! Do NOT try this by using a single drill. Step drill the hole to get it centered so you will not scrape into the die side.

banger

runfiverun
02-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Lee lube is water soluble
just lube a handfull and push one through about every 15 boolits it gives you a little glide.
So is dish soap.

bigarm
02-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Next time you get a slug of lead stuck in a sizing die, centerpunch the lead and (in a drillpress!!!) start off with a small 1/8" drill. Keep increasing until there is about 1/32" lead ring left and then you can pry/knock it out easlly! Do NOT try this by using a single drill. Step drill the hole to get it centered so you will not scrape into the die side.

banger

Thanks! I been wanting a drill press, at least a bench mount one, now I have a reason why I need one to tell my wife!

Everyone - thanks for the suggestions. Never thought of lubing because I know the bullets need to be clean for powder coating. Never had one stuck like that before. I have had them difficult enough that I had to really put my weight on it, but always got it pushed through.

30Carbine
02-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Bigarm word of advice if you are going to ask for a drill press get a stand up one and a good one don't skimp on tools to much you will find your self using it more and more. just my 2 cents.. you will be amazed at the stuff you will dream up to use it.

Wayne Smith
02-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Drill press - the major difference between the table top ones and the floor stand ones is the variety of speed adustments. I use Forstner bits and need the slow speed that the table top presses just don't deliver.