PDA

View Full Version : 45 gov antique reloading tool

hound13
02-14-2015, 08:19 PM
http://www.oodmag.com/community/showthread.php?76794-45-gov-antique-reloading-tool
check this out any info will help>>>> thanks hound13

Vinne
02-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Great find Hound. Wish I could help.

ascast
02-14-2015, 09:35 PM
pm sent

Chill Wills
02-14-2015, 11:35 PM
How is the mold farthest on the right marked? That one might be your prize.

Bent Ramrod
02-15-2015, 01:28 AM
The one on the right looks like a Sharps mold. Those go for ridiculous amounts of money. They had no sprue plate; the sprue was snipped off the end of the boolit with the nippers built into the end of the mould blocks. Is it a smooth sided cavity? The Sharps moulds were often for paper patched boolits.

The mould on the left is a Winchester mould which should have the caliber stamped on one of the handles. The boolits made from these were meant to be shot as-cast, with no sizing. Yours is an early example; the later version had wooden handles.

The loading tools are also Winchester; the larger one being the earlier 1880 patent date (I think it's called the Fourth Model by collectors) and the smaller, the more often encountered Fifth Model. If you are lucky, they will have the decapping punches inside the loading chambers; if not, it's easy enough to make a functional one out of a piece of rod with a drilled hole and soldered in decapping pin.

The 1880 tool has a Berdan decapping chisel on it to dig out Berdan primers. Both tools should have a hole in the handle opposite the small punch in the other handle. That was for repriming the shell. You then loaded the shell with black powder, inserted a boolit, put the assembly in the loading chamber and squeezed the handles. The boolit would be seated and crimped, and the extractor would pull the completed round out of the chamber.

That's quite a haul.

hound13
02-15-2015, 09:50 AM
these tools I have are only for show and a conversation piece this stuff belonged to a great uncle of mine then my grandfather ended up with and now my uncle gave it too me .also I for got to mention I also got a test tube powder measure with a spoon on the end of the cap I wish I knew what this stuff is actually worth,>>>>????. the tool i have is the second one in from left to right this is a pic that I got off the net. hound13

bedbugbilly
02-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Very nice! Nothing like those old reloading tools! I have one of the Winchester loading tools for 32-20 (32 WCF) and a 32-20 Winchester mold. I'm just getting set up to reload the 32-20 but am looking forward to doing a few with those old tools.

It's nice that those have been passed down in the family - that makes 'em even more special whether you use them or not - and I hope you'll pass them on to another family member who will love them as much as you do when the time comes. Enjoy!

Chill Wills
02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
OK, I think I did not understand at first.
So, is it correct that you do not have all four tools? Just one like the one pictured second from the left?

And that is why you did not respond with any information about the markings on the Sharps mould on the far right?

hound13
02-17-2015, 11:11 PM
sorry this might clear things up these are the tools I have !!! hound13
https://mail.google.com/mail/#label/basil/14b8f7aa21ff32b0