PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to run my first anneal attempt by you

shawnba67
02-14-2015, 05:22 PM
So I've read the annealing brass article by Ken Howell a couple times, I got the 650 and 475 tempil stick crayons. I got my propane torch set up in my metal sink basin of good water, I used books to get my cordless drill to set in with my brass 3/4" from tip of the blue torch flame. I marked with the 650 3/8" below shoulder. I ran the drill at 2-3 revs per second(guessing) put my 30-06 brass in a socket holder and into the fire. The tempilaq melted at 9 sec 5 times in a row, that seem about right? It would produce the blue anneal marks 1/2" below shoulder junction. I had always heard about being careful not to heat the base to much so I sacrificed a few to see how long to melt the 475 degree down 1/2 from base, it took 20 seconds and the neck had turned bright red at about 13 seconds All this seem to be correctly done on my part? A couple of them have a second anneal blue ring at end of case neck, I think maybe got neck to hot ???? Any experienced advice is appreciated.

30CalTy
02-15-2015, 10:06 AM
9 sec sounds about right. I've had similar results with the tempilaq that I use (I think it's 750). You don't need to do water for 30-06; I would for small cases like 25-20.

Having the crayons takes all the mystery out of it.

GrayTech
02-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Keep the water, and brass should be quenched to prevent crystal structure enlarging and increasing bitterness. Flame temps vary, go by color, light pink, NOT bright red.