PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Blackhorn 209,,,,,

Polar_Hunter
02-14-2015, 05:10 PM
When using Blackhorn 209 in cartridges does the case need to be full?

The loading data says 11.6 charge weight grains and a load density of 102% pushing a 200 grain RNFP bullet for .44 Russian. All my components are correct but the powder volume is not sufficient to make a light compression.

Is this safe to shoot? If not, what is the best way to solve this problem? (please don't tell me to use BP, it isn't going to happen)

ProfGAB101
02-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Can't speak as to the case volume question - but I will say you need to use mag primers or a booster to get this stuff to light off good consistent full burns.

NSB
02-14-2015, 06:06 PM
You only need magnum primers on some guns with long channels in the breech plug. I've never used magnum primers and it goes boom for me every time. It is difficult to light in side locks with percussion caps. Blackhorn209 is basically a smokeless powder. True black gets compressed but I don't believe Blackhorn209 requires any compression. I use it in several in-lines so I can't speak for cartridge guns. A simple google search will answer this if someone doesn't come along who knows what they're talking about first hand.
Here's a link to their website and it talks about cartridge loads using BZ209 http://blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209blackpowdercartridgedata.pdf

Polar_Hunter
02-14-2015, 10:36 PM
I have looked at the info on the web page without a definite result. I may have to contact them to be sure.

Nobade
02-15-2015, 12:07 AM
They show loads as low as 74% for the 45-120, and many loads less than 100% for other cartridges so I would have to say you won't have any problem. Of course you could always add a touch more powder if you want to make sure you have a compressed load.

Edit - I see in the big rifle cases they also recommend dacron filler for loads less than 100%. I'd just add a little more powder for the 44 russian, you have to be nearly at a full load anyhow.

-Nobade

Polar_Hunter
02-15-2015, 09:22 AM
They show loads as low as 74% for the 45-120, and many loads less than 100% for other cartridges so I would have to say you won't have any problem. Of course you could always add a touch more powder if you want to make sure you have a compressed load.

Edit - I see in the big rifle cases they also recommend dacron filler for loads less than 100%. I'd just add a little more powder for the 44 russian, you have to be nearly at a full load anyhow.

-Nobade

Thanks Nobade, my test shows that I need about 12.5 gr of powder to fill for a light compression load. (1 grain over Blackhorn's recommendation) As I have no previous experience with this powder I don't know if that would be safe.

Nobade
02-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Certainly no problem in a modern gun. If it's an original top break revolver I wouldn't use BH209 at all.

-Nobade