PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

FISH4BUGS
02-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Just got through preparing for the upcoming blizzard. 50 gallons of backup gas - check. Generator tested - check. Roof raked - check. Wood in the barn - check. Wood pile covered securely - check. Freezer full of food - check. Snow blower ready to go - check.
We are about 25 miles inland from the coast of Portsmouth NH and the forecast is for 12-18" of new snow but the wind will be brutal. The forecasters are calling for gusts to 50+ mph, with hurricane force winds on the Cape.
I like winter but this is getting to be a little too much. Three storms dumping at least a foot each time in the last two weeks. Now another one. At least it has the decency to happen overnight Saturday and all day Sunday.
We really just stoke up the wood stove and ride it out. If we lose power we fire up the generator, and it is really just a minor inconvenience for us. Cleanup is always not fun, but hey....it's winter.
My SO has lost a ton of business in the last three weeks. Restaurants have been closed 6 out of the last 18 business days. Schools have had 5 snow days added to their schedules. By the time this is over they will be going to school until July! My retailing friends are suffering. It really is starting to hurt economically.
We New Englanders are tough but I am getting to the edge of my tolerance for winters like this. This one is tough.....and it is about to get tougher.

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Were getting it here in Michigan today. Zero visibility and about every road around is closed.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Feels like the roof is gonna blow off, or the house is gonna blow away & fly to Kansas, which means it won't land on the wicked witch of the east.. my ex lives in NC!

FISH4BUGS
02-14-2015, 05:20 PM
The storm that hit Michigan is going to come across the mid-Atlantic states and hit the Atlantic ocean, turn north, and it will bomb out (drop to very low pressure) and get stronger and stronger as it comes north up the coast. Classic Nor'Easter. We are in the path of it.
It should be an interesting night and morning tomorrow.

wallenba
02-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Feels like the roof is gonna blow off, or the house is gonna blow away & fly to Kansas, which means it won't land on the wicked witch of the east.. my ex lives in NC!

Yep real windy here too. Hoping nightfall will bring a break from the wind. Finding air leaks I didn't know I had. Weather man projecting 25 below zero with the wind chill Sunday. Around here, it's the wind that can bring down the power lines. Knock on wood.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Yep real windy here too. Hoping nightfall will bring a break from the wind. Finding air leaks I didn't know I had. Weather man projecting 25 below zero with the wind chill Sunday.

It just let up for a second, time to let my Newfoundland out of the barn to do his business, if I don't post again send someone out to find me!

Iowa Fox
02-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Using the same check list here fish4bugs. We're both retired and live in the country, people think I'm crazy when I tell them "if the weather's crappy we're not going anyplace".

jeepyj
02-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Just got done prepping as well. We are in the bullseye, 20 plus inches & heavy winds. Worst part is I'm a plow driver. I don't generally mind the snow but the wind blowing makes it a bit tough. See you on the other side.
jeepyj

farmerjim
02-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Don't you love this global warming. 30 years ago they were predicting we were going into a new ice age. Who looks correct on this one lately.

btroj
02-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Not global warming, climate change. As if Nebraska weather doesn't vary a ton already?

We haven't had much snow, we sent ours to New England. They can keep it. If they want we can see about sending a few tornadoes come spring. We just ask that in return they promise not to send us any people, we have just about enough.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 05:47 PM
It just let up for a second, time to let my Newfoundland out of the barn to do his business, if I don't post again send someone out to find me!

OK, I'm back inside, the poor fella whizzed, ate, dumped then ran back to the barn, winds at 31mph now.

slim1836
02-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Dang, 79 here with a low of 50 tonight, sure is tough in Texas this time of year.

Slim

FISH4BUGS
02-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Using the same check list here fish4bugs. We're both retired and live in the country, people think I'm crazy when I tell them "if the weather's crappy we're not going anyplace".

You are not crazy at all. Since my SO and I are both self-employed (retirement is a foreign concept at this point) we usually work 6 days a week and go out for dinner on Saturday night and do errands on Sunday like the dump runs, shopping, etc.
We live in the country too, and we are happy to stay off the roads in snowstorms. We are sitting at home for this one. I can drive just fine in snow - it's the other guy I worry about.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 06:00 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/14/190270e72d4d3d287eecf9aca80f1bcf.jpg
-9 degrees now..

Artful
02-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Mid 80's for the next week here - above normal temp's - dang global warming.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 06:20 PM

I could be chasing jackrabbits right now..

oneokie
02-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Just be thankful you are not atop Mt. Washington...........

ballistim
02-14-2015, 06:42 PM
deleted

dragon813gt
02-14-2015, 07:03 PM
No snow here. But temps are supposed to be frigid all next week. Won't be getting out of the twenties. And we're supposed to hit -4 Sunday night. It drops into negative temps maybe once a decade.

RayinNH
02-14-2015, 08:31 PM
FISH4BUGS, there's another coming Wednesday too.

lightman
02-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Dang, wishing you guys luck. Looks like we are going to get a taste of it here too! We don't know how to deal with it here, so it ain't gonna be pretty. Most of the folks here can't drive on dry pavement, or function in good weather. Think People of Walmart!!!

Houndog
02-14-2015, 09:21 PM
It's been snowing off and on all day with fairly brisk wind. They predict single digit temps tonight and low teens tomorrow with a chance of 1-3 inches of snow Monday night. That kind of weather is RARE around here this late in the winter season! It's been so warm this winter that most of the ski resorts didn't even get to open this year! I feel for all youall up in yankee land gettin swamped with al bore's "global warming"! I just wish he was there!

marlin39a
02-14-2015, 09:44 PM
I remember the blizzard of 78, but I guess your Winter is worse than that. Now I'm in Northern Az, and loving it. Mid 70's here today. All the windows open. Saw a couple of lizards out back. That's a sure sign of Spring. Good luck and be safe.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 09:58 PM
I remember the blizzard of 78, but I guess your Winter is worse than that. Now I'm in Northern Az, and loving it. Mid 70's here today. All the windows open. Saw a couple of lizards out back. That's a sure sign of Spring. Good luck and be safe.

The Blizzard of '78 was really something, our family of 6 kids and all our friends and relatives had quite an experience. Power was out for a week at our house and we spent most of our time in front of the fireplace, daytime was spent in my friends lifted Ford F-250 pulling people out of snow banks and refusing tips, we made the best of it, good memories!

MaryB
02-14-2015, 11:58 PM
Yet SW MN is still snow free, we have had more rain than snow this winter! Had the wind last night though, my weather station said a max gust of 68mph and the way the house was moving I would believe it.

Dave18
02-15-2015, 05:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u03QcymdCtg

frozen wasteland, enjoy[smilie=s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM

if we had some global warming

0--------------------------------

as to 78, we were out having a blast during that blizzard, riding sleds the whole time, had some pics sitting on the snowmobile, and reaching down and touching the top of some stop signs around here, , we also did a lot of running peoples meds out to them for the local drug store back then, even had the possum cops chasing us (skidoos vs 440 exciters, guess who was always way out there, then when we stopped and they finally caught up with us,at our shop, came in bitchin about them guys outriding around in the blizzard, then realized it was us, kind of got quiet, and the topic changed

Plate plinker
02-15-2015, 05:18 AM
We had the wind here Saturday. I'm not gonna lie it pretty much sucked, you all are toast. Stay warm.

New batch of of babies on the way. Lol

trapper9260
02-15-2015, 07:10 AM
I know how the northeaster are in New England That is where was from before I move here to Iowa and be ready when they say about getting them.You will get alot of snow.Like stated 78 was one storm to remember and as for yesterday we had high winds also.if they talk about snow here or ice storm I do not go out and stay in ,I live in the country and have all I need for now and do not worry about the weather.Make our monthly shopping and just a few odds and ends some times during the month but that is it.freezer have the food so is canning shelf is full.and all so just ride it all out.Just do some reloading in the time when time is there.

FISH4BUGS
02-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Well, we survived overnight. It is hard to tell how much snow we got but one thing for sure - the wind was howling all night, and it is picking up even more now that sunrise is here.
The NOAA radar shows we are in between a couple of heavy bands of snow and the bands are rotating counter clock wise. It looks like some of them are forming, dumping a fair amount of snow, then breaking up. It is hard to tell whether more is on the way or not. If the bands of snow hold up, we are in for more.
Now...get some breakfast, bring in the day's supply of wood, and snow blow the driveway. That will not be fun in 40 mph winds.
I'll wait until the wind dies down to rake the roof.
Man....what a day this will be. I won't be able to do any casting or reloading because the wind is so strong, the shed can't hold any heat. I think it is time for a bigger propane heater!

jonp
02-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Wifes brother lives just north of Boston and one son lives in Dover. The snow has been tremendous. It is a matter of perspective. We are from 100 miles north of you and would just shrug, shovel and get on with it. Here in NC where we moved several years ago just forcasting the possibility of a couple of inches causes a run on the stores and school closings. One of the places i deliver to is opening a couple of hours late tomorrow because of the excessive cold. Its going to be 20!

Being from the far north new england we always have several weeks of food on the shelves and just laugh

Taylor
02-15-2015, 08:35 AM

It flurried a tad yesterday.

Edster
02-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Well the storm split and will not reorganize. I just happen to be in the middle of the split. Got about 2" and it looks like that's going to be it. ​I'm so disappointed!!!!!
Folks North and South of me are getting close to a foot.

marvelshooter
02-15-2015, 08:51 AM
I've already got a foot with several more hours to go before it ends and we start shoveling.

Edster
02-15-2015, 09:16 AM
I've already got a foot with several more hours to go before it ends and we start shoveling.

I feel your pain.....I'll be back in Beantown on Tuesday and have to deal with it again. Looks like more snow on Tuesday/Wednesday too!!!

375supermag
02-15-2015, 09:35 AM
We got about 3" of snow here last night in southcentral Pa. winds are blowing at gale force...temperature is 1F and wind chills are at -25F. The heat pump is really struggling to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Power has stayed on, so far.

One weather service is predicting the most significant snow event of this winter for Tuesday-Wednesday. We are prepared as much as is possible. Kerosene for emergency heat...both 4WD are fueled up.

dragon813gt
02-15-2015, 09:43 AM
We got about 3" of snow here last night in southcentral Pa. winds are blowing at gale force...temperature is 1F and wind chills are at -25F. The heat pump is really struggling to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Put your thermostat on emergency heat. You are just wasting money running the condenser. And your thermostat is going to shut off the auxiliary heat before you reach the set temp. We are at design temp, but well below the threshold where heat pumps run 24/7 to maintain temp.

leebuilder
02-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I hope the worst has passed you guys to south, i know we are about to get smashed back to the stone age here. Shoveled off the step to let the girlfriends dog out, the snow drift was up to my chest, the wind is brutal. Tried the internet to see how cold it is,,, "sevice unavailable".
I remember as a kid getting snowed in for four days, was a great time,, never seen a community pull together to get stuff done and safe. Was alot of fun once we got the three wheelers out.

birddog
02-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Ya boys, must not have been living right out there last year, as we got out payback last winter here in the balmy midwest. Got a few PAM's (piss and moan) around here Eastern Iowa, this year is nothing like last winter.
Charlie

ballistim
02-15-2015, 10:30 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/12a61303216620a879cdbfe635180021.jpg
Well I think my Newfoundland says it all...

sleeper1428
02-15-2015, 10:40 AM
I sure wish there was some way to take all the snow you're getting in the Northeast and magically transport it to the West Coast, specifically the mountain ranges in Oregon and Northern California. Our snow pack is about as low as its ever been (<17% of normal) and that means that the high lakes, which are in large part fed by the melting of the snow pack, will undoubtedly be almost unfishable come Spring. Essentially all the boat launch ramps on these lakes are 'high and dry' at this point and if we don't get some snow soon not only will we not be able to launch boats but a lot of fish are going to die from lack of oxygen in the small pools that now make up the lakes, especially when the temperature begins to soar in the Summer. Our ski area, Mt. Ashland (near the Oregon/California border), which normally opens in late November or early December has only been open a few days in January and February so far, less than two weeks as I recall. While I don't ski any more - hell, I'm lucky to be able to hobble around, much less ski - the loss of income to the Southern Oregon area is significant and will be felt for years to come. So if you can figure out a cheap way to send all your snow out here for a couple of weeks, please do so and I assure you, we'll be forever grateful to you!!

sleeper1428

dragonrider
02-15-2015, 11:31 AM
We got about 6-8 inches during the night, not really windy. Right now it is doing nothing. Now to get the Kubota out and blow some more snow. Back in 78 it was really fun, had 50 inches of snow to move with a shovel on a driveway about 120 feet. I had to take the windows out of the screen door in order to get outside and shovel off the steps. Wife went to work on the day it started and did not get home for 3 days.

FISH4BUGS
02-15-2015, 11:49 AM
This one was nowhere near the Blizzard of '78 (don't we sound like old farts?). My then wife and I were vacationing in St. Maarten and we heard rumors of people being on the last plane out of Logan before they shut it down. We thought they were exaggerating but it turned out to be true.
We got stuck in St Maarten for four days (it truly broke my heart - NOT) before we were able to get back home. We had to hire a bucket loader to clear the driveway and open up access to the house. There was four feet of snow and drifts that were six or seven feet high.
This one gave us a foot or more but the wind is what hurt. All told there is probably four feet on the ground from the four storms.
I just did three hours of snowblowing and shoveling. My neighbor cleared the end of the driveway with his Kubota. The State plows are really working hard on this one. I'd get the end cleared and they would come back and plow a bunch of snow back into the driveway. I can't blame them. They have a job to do. My hat's off to them!

jeepyj
02-15-2015, 12:47 PM
We ended up in the middle of the split. Wow did get lucky maybe 3 or 4 inches at most. Windy yes but better than two feet and wind. Best of luck for those in the heavy areas. Looks like I'll be able to enjoy the holiday tomorrow after all!
jeepyj

merlin101
02-15-2015, 12:58 PM
I just went down to the truck stop to start my truck and let it warm up for this afternoon, temperature at 11:00 was 0* on the way home it warmed up to 1.
When I turned the key on ole blu she really moaned and groaned before fireing up!

Iowa Fox
02-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Ya boys, must not have been living right out there last year, as we got out payback last winter here in the balmy midwest. Got a few PAM's (piss and moan) around here Eastern Iowa, this year is nothing like last winter.
Charlie

Last year was a son of a gun. Plus the propane scam hit some of the folks hard.

MaryB
02-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Snow free still in SW MN. Cold though and has been windy enough to make the house vibrate. But winter of 96/97 I had a 27 foot drift up to the peak of the roof, entire north side of the house was buried. Do not want that again! My driveway was a tunnel almost, got to the point that I had to hire the city and their big truck mounted blower to move it back far enough to snow blow it with my little blower. Once the cut was over 7 feet deep I couldn't toss the snow up high enough.

Not my house but many looked like this, some single story ranch houses were buried and had roofs collapse. City office here had the rafters crack under the snow load and they had to rebuild the roof. This was north of me along the red river.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/misc/visit/minnesota_snowdrift.gif

DoubleAdobe
02-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Yeah, Art, for a while today I thought I was going to have to put on a jacket, but then the sun came out again, whew. Low 60's I reckon here today. Then it showered a little, almost was a measurable amount in my rain gauge. Almost.:|

FISH4BUGS
02-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Just be thankful you are not atop Mt. Washington...........
You are right. 35 below with 100mph sustained winds....gusts to 135.

http://www.wmur.com/weather/stormwatch/strongest-wind-gust-since-2008-recorded-on-mount-washington/31292366

jonp
02-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Ive climbed mt washington a bunch of times. I loved seeing those guys at the bottom in shorts and sandals when its 30 at the top.

Well, im afraid this might be my last post on this forum. NC is getting some snow and ice tonite and from the hysterical reports we may all be dead and the state gone by morning. The good news is that so many people canceled at the dentist today im getting in 3hrs early :)

dakotashooter2
02-16-2015, 07:28 PM
OK, I'm back inside, the poor fella whizzed, ate, dumped then ran back to the barn, winds at 31mph now.

You must have gotten a whimpy one. Friend of mine has one that loves when it storms. Wants to play outside when it gets -20..........................

ballistim
02-16-2015, 07:43 PM
You must have gotten a whimpy one. Friend of mine has one that loves when it storms. Wants to play outside when it gets -20..........................

I should have mentioned he's 11 now, has outlived his life expectancy so I cut him some slack, two years ago I would've had to drag him into the barn along with his partner, an Anatolian/Pyrenese mix that died of lymphoma, might be his last winter, he's slowed down quite a bit.