PDA

View Full Version : Custom collet die for 300Savage?

DanM
03-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I like those Lee collet neck dies, and want one for 300sav. A custom made one is expensive and involves a long wait. Could I shorten a .308Win collet die for 30Sav? Seems like it would work.

edit: maybe I could use a 300WSM collet die for 300Sav with no mods? 300Sav case is 1.87" and 300WSM is 1.66".

edit2: I have just about talked myself into buying a 300WSM collet die. I think it will work for the slightly longer case with a .2" bushing or washer over the shellholder. Should be about half the price of a custom die form Lee, and no waiting.

Pepe Ray
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I've used washers as spacers to crimp longer cases. Not for volumn shooting as its SLOW, or--maybe my fingers are too old.
Pepe Ray

DanM
03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I use my 7.62x54r FCD for others with a washer added. Works great for the FCD, but will it work for a collet neck die? I think it will, but this is uncharted territory....

HeavyMetal
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Dan:
Just checked my curent Lee catalog. They will make a complete collet die set for $50.00. All you need to do is send them two fired cases from your gun and the bullet of choice that you want to use.

Because the 300 has a short neck I don't think you'll get the results you want if you start "Disney Engineering" another die set.

MY suggestion: bite the bullet, do it right, never have to look back!

racepres
03-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Dan:
Just checked my curent Lee catalog. They will make a complete collet die set for $50.00. All you need to do is send them two fired cases from your gun and the bullet of choice that you want to use.

Because the 300 has a short neck I don't think you'll get the results you want if you start "Disney Engineering" another die set.

MY suggestion: bite the bullet, do it right, never have to look back!
:twisted: What's the Fun in that??? if yer not easily aggravated..Go for it!! You can always "do it right" Later!!!! :drinks:

1hole
03-01-2008, 08:40 PM
I shortened a couple of Lee collets dies to make my own custom sizers for cartridges they don't normally make, it worked fine. You could shorten a .308 collet die to .300S length easily. It sure is good to have a metal lathe to do it on.

Remember to take just enough off the sleeve to make it the proper length to the shoulder, not the full length of the case. The short neck of that .300 won't give you a lot of slack to work towards. After you cut the sleeve you can cut off the bottom of the die until it is the right length for the job, then cut a new groove in the sleeve for the retaining spring.

HeavyMetal
03-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Racepres:
Lots to be said for a man not afraid to have fun!

That can help the economy more than a good tax break!

DanM
03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I figured it could be done, and I could probably handle the project except for the groove in the sleeve for the retainer. I do have a collection of various thickness machine bushings that could be stacked on the shellholder to make up the difference in case length between 300Sav and 300WSM with no machining. May go that route....

Nueces
03-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Dan, I've been thinking about 'our' problem (I load the 300 Sav, too). What about devoting one shell holder to the 300 sizing operation and gluing the bushing to the shell holder after cutting out the side for case clearance? I don't have a Lee collet die to check, but would that work?

Mark

JeffinNZ
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I had a Lee collet die custom made for my .303 Pygmy and it did not take long at all and I live at the bottom of the world. Cost was not inhibitive either. I was really happy with the service. Big fan of those dies.