PDA

View Full Version : Power Pistol loads for 45 ACP

bcr
02-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Ran out of Bullseye a couple weeks ago. Been running 4.5 grs under the H&G68 clone for action pistol matches. I have 8 lbs. of Power Pistol so I switched over to that. Minimum load in the Lyman cast book is 6.3 grs. for the 452260 and 6.5 grs. for the 452630. These are running a lot hotter than my Bullseye loads, and I wouldn't mind to back it down a little bit. Is there any reason not reduce the load below the loading book minimum if the minimum load pressure for Power Pistol is already nearly double the minimum load pressure for Bullseye?

I'm shooting a Commander sized 1911.

35remington
02-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Not in my experience. The powder may not burn as clean but pressures should be fine down in the shotshell range. Velocity variation goes up, of course. More soot appears on the cases. Power Pistol meters well in smaller charges.

The burn rate is between Unique and Herco. There is no point in going below about 700 FPS as this would be below target load levels and pushing a reasonable thing too far.

Meanwhile hope for Bullseye to return to store shelves!

bcr
02-14-2015, 04:00 PM
OK, thanks. I shot it in a match today and didn't notice the recoil during the match, so I'll stick with the 6.5 grs. Then I'll have a lot of Power Pistol to go.

huntrick64
02-15-2015, 10:39 PM
I love Power Pistol, but to me it has a distinctive, sharp recoil for similar pressures. It is one of those powders that I never get to max recommended load because it "feels" like it is hurting my gun. Maybe just in my mind, but I have that same feeling in my 45 colts, 1911s, and my old beretta 96 when using PP.