PDA

View Full Version : scope base aqlteration

tenx
02-14-2015, 04:49 AM
upgraded my scope on a MOA 10-22 reciever (it's a pistol very similar to a ruger charger) to a weaver 2.5 to 8 power eer, the std. weaver T-09 base was too long to for my rings, the rings hit on the power ring in the rear and on the objecive bell on the scope in the front. i was fustrated that another base wasn't available locally and not wanting to wait on ordering a new one (a substantially more expensive base and being low on funds as usual) i took a minute and the solution seemed so simple, just cut a section from the center of the base and flip one end around and presto, just what i was looking for, touched the ends of the base up to blend them in. no money spent and a totally viable solution to my problem. seems that most of the time when we take a few minutes and take a time out and think about things, the solution is usually pretty simple. now if we could just remember to take our time and think things thru.............

pietro
02-14-2015, 05:20 AM

I doubt that the base was too long for your scope - the real problem, for many shooters, is that most modern scopes are compact models with main tubes much shorter than scopes in general use when the gun and/or the rail was designed.

Another solution would be to use a squared file edge to make new notches in the mount, in a position to accept the scope rings.

tenx
02-16-2015, 05:08 PM
the t-09 base has only 2 cross slots for scope rings so either filing another slot or cutting and repositioning the base would resolve the issue, just thought it looked better with a two piece base.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Good job, tenx---if it looks good and it works you've done well.