PDA

View Full Version : Win 92 Lyman peep sight (screws)

dikman
02-14-2015, 02:16 AM
I just got hold of an old Lyman tang peep sight for my Winnie, however the two mounting holes are closer together than a standard Win. sight. So, my first thought was make a plate with the correct hole spacing and screw it to that. Much work later and scrapped that idea, as it set the sight too far back on the tang and interfered with my hand grip around the wrist.

Next idea was to machine a complete replacement base plate - I gave that idea up as being a LOT of work!

Next idea is to simply drill and tap a hole in the tang to line up with the rear sight hole. As far as I can tell the front hole is a 10-32 thread, which is no problem as I have a 10-32 tap and die. The required screws, however are a problem. Naturally, I have nothing like that as that thread type is very uncommon here. Searching the 'net I found they're readily available in the US (of course) for around $5 a pair. Shipping around $24 - for a pair of screws!:eek:

Still thinking.........

pietro
02-14-2015, 05:11 AM

FWIW, I shot/hunted with a (Marble's) tang-sighted .45-70 Winchester Model 86EL for 5 years, that used only the tang screw to hold the tang sight.

It was doable because the tang top surface is rounded/convex and the underside of the tang sight base was likewise curved/concave.

I always checked the tang screw for tightness, but it never needed re-tightening or epoxy to hold it steadfast to the rifle's tang.

IDK if that will work with the non-Winchester 92/94 tang sight base you have, though.

dikman
02-14-2015, 06:57 AM
The problem with that is I don't have any screws to hold it on with, as the front screw already on the rifle is only a short blanking stud.
I suppose I could hold it on with duct tape.........

Wind
02-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Hey there dikman -- Winchester used a 10-36 thread on their tangs screws. You might have another issue to contend with as well. Different rifles have different tang angles. An example would be your Winchester with an 18 degree tang angle and a Marlin with a 21 degree tang angle. Getting them wrong may inhibit seeing through the aperture clearly. You might consider finding a complete Marbles set made specifically for a Winchester as it has the added advantage of a windage adjustable tang sight. When it all comes together it should look something like this...

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

dikman
02-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks Wind, I thought the 10-35 seemed just a fraction tight!!! Considering the tang isn't very thick, however, I may be able to get away with 10-35 if all else fails. The sight has a "lock" position on it which makes me think it's made for a steeper angle, like you say, but the price is very good so it may be worth persevering with it. Bear in mind that these things are not at all common here in Oz, and the way our $ is falling it makes it a pretty expensive proposition to get one from the US at the moment.

Nice looking rifle, btw :-).

JHeath
02-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Or use whatever metric screw fits through the existing front hole, screwed into a nut inside the tang with the stock removed. Then D/T the other as metric.

dikman
02-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Yep, that could work, except that the countersunk screws required have a very narrow head on them for the thread size. None of my existing stock of screws (imperial/metric) are like that. Whatever I do is going to require some work. I think I'll have a go at turning a couple of screws on the lathe. Be a bit fiddly and I'm not sure if my die will run the thread far enough up to the head, but worth a try.