PDA

View Full Version : H&r 586

BLTsandwedge
02-13-2015, 07:31 PM
About 8 years ago I bought an H&R 586 6". The trigger is so bad I can't make the thing shoot- even after going through all the steps- slugging throats, buying a custom mould through a group buy, working loads, trying alloys etc. The trigger is the issue- I thought I could either get used to it or find a mechanical way around it (i.e. benching- and I hate benching a pistol!). The short: the mould cost about $25 less than the revolver (I bought this H&R 'gem' for $170). The mould I love (an NOI 4-cavity SWC, IIIRC 115g/straight WW). The revolver? ***. What to do?

Many thanks and Shabbat Shalom................

ejcrist
02-13-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm no gunsmith or anything, and I'm not familiar with that particular revolver, but I'd start by changing the trigger spring and cleaning up any machining marks on the sear. If for whatever reason you can't do that due to parts availability for the trigger spring or you don't have a jig to stone the sear, I'd sell it for whatever you can get and buy another 32 H&R mag, probably a Ruger Single Six off of Gunbroker, LGS, or gunshow and start over. If you can't find a 32 H&R, or you can but it's not in the price range you want, you could possibly get one of the new Ruger 327's and use the mold for that, or even shoot 32 H&R's in it since I'm assuming you already have the components for it. That's what I'd do. I don't know if you have another 32 H&R mag or not but I've been in love with that caliber and cartridge ever since they came out.

Bored1
02-13-2015, 08:07 PM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HarringtonRichardson-33274/Revolvers-36449/586-38079.htm?page=4

I would start here and get another trigger for $10 and a new spring for 2.70. See if it helps. Only 13$ to find out. If that didn't work, I would see what could be done with the original trigger to smooth up the surfaces. If you mess it up you would already have a replacement waiting to reinstall. For under $15 seems like it would be worth the hassle. Nothing says if you sell it and start over you aren't gonna run into a different issue with a different revolver! Devil you know is sometimes better than the one ya don't right.

Have you thought about calling a local smith to see what they have to say? I know there's a few around where I live that would probably take on a job like that more for the challenge and novelty of working on something different than for the $.