PDA

View Full Version : C. Sharps Blunder

ColColt
02-13-2015, 03:39 PM
I had ordered a rifle from them back in early November and received a call early last week it would be shipping out this week. So far so good. Today I got a call that the rifle was in and went over to pick it up. I didn't look that closely at it until I got home. To my surprise and disappointment, there was no front sight on it!!

I had ordered a glbe front sight from MVA and told them to send it to Pete at his suggestion. They didn't have them in at the time and was told my card wouldn't get charged for it until it was shipped to Pete. I noticed my card got charged the 8th of last month so, figured they had come in and they sent it to him. I called MVA and they did ship it to them on the 16th of January.

Scenario #1-They didn't send it to him.

Scenario #2-They sent it and he didn't put it on the rifle.

That's all there could be. If they didn't send it why didn't C. Sharps email/phone me that the rifle was ready but they hadn't received the sight yet? Or if they did receive it what was the excuse for not mounting it?

I called C. Sharps but Friday is Pete's day off so I talked with the gal that answered the call. She was surprise they sent a rifle without the front sight I h ad ordered and was going to check into it. Now, I'm left with sending the rifle back or have them send it to me and do it myself. Either way, I'm no happy camper. My first and last rifle from C. Sharps. No excuse for sending a rifle without a front sight you ordered.

Boz330
02-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Mistakes happen, see if they offer to make it completely right. If not then you definitely have a complaint. I own a business and have sure made mistakes and go out of my way to make it right with the customer.

Bob

oldred
02-13-2015, 04:44 PM
I agree give them a chance to make it right, mistakes happen to the best of companies and while it may seem like a mistake that should never have happened there's simply no way to know what actually transpired that led to the rifle being shipped sans that sight. They might go all out trying to correct the mistake and make it right to you for any trouble this has caused, or they may try to to play the "blame game" and deflect the responsibility and if that happens then they deserve any criticism they get!

ColColt
02-13-2015, 06:43 PM
It states the front sight on the invoice they sent me so, what happened is anyone's guess. Either way, someone needs an *** chewing.

enfield
02-13-2015, 08:23 PM
people make mistakes, they don't all deserve an *** chewing. I'm sure from what everyone says about them they will fix the problem.

Don McDowell
02-13-2015, 09:08 PM
I'd just chill out a bit, and call Monday morning and request they send the sight, and refund for what they would of charged for installing the sight.
Asking a company to put someone else's sight on their rifle is sort of a ballzy thing to do in the first place, and I'm sort of surprised they even said they would do that.

I'm still trying to figure out how you opened the box inspected the rifle , yet did not notice the abscense of the front sight immediately...

largom
02-13-2015, 10:38 PM
No one ever became great except through many and great mistakes!
There is no business or any person that does not make honest mistakes.

Larry

dtknowles
02-14-2015, 12:13 AM
We seem to be seeing comments from a lot of members lockwired in the pissed off position, is it something in the air.

Tim

JHeath
02-14-2015, 12:59 AM
Your rifle story reminds me of the Asian woman whose son died and she asked the Buddha to bring him back to life. The Buddha said, "Bring me some mustard seed from a family in which nobody has died and I can bring your child back to life." Well after she traveled all over India asking every family, she got the point.

Good luck buying your next rifle from a manufacturer that's never ever made a mistake. Ask Holland and Holland or Rigby if they've never made a mistake. If $50k won't buy infallibility, maybe a C. Sharps at two or three grand is a pretty good deal.

MT Chambers
02-14-2015, 01:14 AM
For your plan to work out, everyone in the place would have had to know your plan for getting and installing the MVA sight, and then matching the finished rifle with some sight that might or might not arrive from some other vendor. I'd have ordered the rifle without the sight and then had MVA ship the sight to my home and install it myself, much better chance of it all working out.

oldred
02-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Well I think he has every right to be upset so let's not be to hard on him, if it had been me that had received such a rifle missing obvious parts I am sure I would have been plenty upset and I think most everyone here would be also! However as has been pointed out mistakes do happen to the best sometimes so they should be given a chance to correct it, personally I think correction in this case means a bit more than just sending the sight. It should be interesting to see how they handle this but I truly hope they do the right thing.

LeRoy.Beans
02-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Could be the front sight fell off. Happened to me a couple of times.

But anyway, while we wait for this to work itself out, what is the rest of the rifle like? What caliber is it? Heck I can't see where it's a highwall, a 74 a 77 or maybe a Hepburn.

Pictures?

'74 sharps
02-14-2015, 11:06 AM
My pencils all come with erasers on the end...........

John Boy
02-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Well I think he has every right to be upset so let's be to hard on him
I agree with Don all the way. Is this a perfect world - No. And every time Colt has some odd ball issue, he runs to the forum and expects the members to resolve it for him or gives another bleeding heart post. His best was the 45-70 recoil black & blue from recoil on his shoulder ...but the picture of the humongous black & blue was on his bicep

w5pv
02-14-2015, 11:09 AM
I have always said that to mess up you have to be doing something,give them a chance to make things right and correct the mistake.

JSnover
02-14-2015, 11:12 AM
It states the front sight on the invoice they sent me so, what happened is anyone's guess. Either way, someone needs an *** chewing.
I'm sure they did not deliberately charge you for a sight that was never installed. I'm also pretty sure someone at C Sharps has already been 'advised' to be more careful.
Wait till Monday and see how they handle it.

wiljen
02-14-2015, 11:18 AM
In fairness to the OP, If I had paid the asking price for one of those rifles and waited 6 months to receive it, I would have an expectation that it be perfect. This wasn't a used or over the counter rifle, this was a one off custom that cost several times what an average factory bolt gun or even a Ruger #1 would have cost. I for one expect more when I have spoken with someone and been told it would arrive to my specs. I do know things sometimes go wrong and I've been guilty of it more than once myself. But I would have expected that during the final packaging a quick QC check would have identified the lack of a front sight and might indeed deserve to draw some criticism and maybe even that @** chewing. You can't tell me anyone even shouldered that rifle before they sent it out the door.

Boz330
02-14-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure how many folks might work on a gun from C-Sharps during production but it seems like mistakes might be made in communication.
I sent a Ballard to Wyoming Armory for some work and they made a mistake when it went to another department for milling and the original smith (Steve Garbe) was off that day. They caught the mistake there and went out of their way to make it right. I'm sure that they didn't make much if any money after the whole thing was over with.

Bob

alamogunr
02-14-2015, 11:24 AM
We seem to be seeing comments from a lot of members lockwired in the pissed off position, is it something in the air.

Tim

The responses to this short thread confirm this.

Don McDowell
02-14-2015, 11:47 AM
The invoice, what does the invoice say?

Gunlaker
02-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Mistakes happen. Sure it's dissapointing when you get the rifle and can't use it right away. I'm sure that Pete will sort it out. They do ship rifles out without sights so I'm sure it was just a mixup. The last few rifles I bought from them I ordered without sights as I prefer sights from other manufacturers. Chris.

ColColt
02-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Asking a company to put someone else's sight on their rifle is sort of a ballzy thing to do in the first place, and I'm sort of surprised they even said they would do that.

I'm still trying to figure out how you opened the box inspected the rifle , yet did not notice the abscense of the front sight immediately...

According to MVA they send sights to them all the time...even had their address handy and knew Pete. I didn't go over the rifle with a fine tooth comb at the gun shop, just glanced at it to see the double set triggers were there. A manila envelope with paper work in it covered where the front sight should have been and the thought never occurred to look for something I figured was there. I waited till I got home to give it a going over to discover it gone.

And every time Colt has some odd ball issue, he runs to the forum and expects the members to resolve it for him or gives another bleeding heart post. His best was the 45-70 recoil black & blue from recoil on his shoulder ...but the picture of the humongous black & blue was on his bicep

Wrong as usual, JB. You come in here throw out your comments and leave having said what you perceive to be the truth. I come here because of what the forum is about, black powder cartridge rifles and the discussion thereof-that's what it's for. It was not a 45-70 but a 45-90 with a crescent steel butt plate. Being on blood thinners the bruise was at my chest, arm and traveled down my forearm.-something you obviously didn't remember.

The invoice I was sent early on, which is the same one included in the box, sans serial number, had a Special Note: "Front drill and tap, customer sights 7/16". I had to call Pete and ask why they were drilling and tapping for a front sight and he told me that should not have been on the Invoice. Drill and tap? I would have hoped not.

ColColt
02-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Well, I'm not going to be concerned with this today. I'll see what they have to say Monday. Right now, I'm going to celebrate my 69th birthday by kicking back with my pipe, cup of coffee and listen to Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major, Opus 77 and cruise.

semtav
02-14-2015, 04:13 PM
A very High Quality rifle manufacture showed up at the airport one day with a gun and gun case. Said he was delivering it to his customer. Even told me it was supposed to be a 45-90 and they had accidently chambered it for 45-70. So he was fixing the error by personally delivering the rifle to the customer after fixing it. Its not the mistake that counts but how it is corrected.

Lumpy grits
02-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Monday is a 3 day weekend for many-
:popcorn:
LG

StrawHat
02-15-2015, 07:39 AM
...I'm going to celebrate my 69th birthday by kicking back with my pipe, cup of coffee and listen to Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major, Opus 77 and cruise...

Happy Birthday!

I am sure things with the rifle will sort themselves out. Enjoy your music, tobacco and coffee. It's not my brithday but I may do the same thing!

Kevin

kenyerian
02-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Not sure about the music but the pipe and the coffee sound good to me. To dang cold to shoot.

Yellowhouse
02-15-2015, 08:41 PM
In the meantime I'd be making a homemade one out of whatever....no that hard!

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-16-2015, 01:19 AM
there's a story in the New Testament; some Pharisees were going to stone some hooker to death. Jesus just looked at them and said, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone..." Story goes that they bailed out one or two at a time and disappeared. Then Jesus tells the woman, "Go and sin no more...".

There's something to that first rock thing...

Rich

ColColt
02-16-2015, 01:03 PM
I didn't get a call today but Pete sent an email.

"Found the sight. Since you weren't using ours, I marked the order for
dovetail only. When the sight came in from MVA, the guys didn't catch it.
Will send the front sight Tuesday, Priority mail. "

oldred
02-16-2015, 01:37 PM
See there it was just an "over-sight"!

Sorry, :p

Don Purcell
02-16-2015, 01:59 PM
ColColt, The coffee the pipe and the music. Ah, now that sounds relaxing. I hope you won't mind if I relax with you if in spirit only. Class act.

ColColt
02-17-2015, 02:56 PM
I hope you won't mind if I relax with you if in spirit only. Class act.

Not at all. Today I've been listening to Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B Minor, Op No. 4.

ELFEGO BACA
02-20-2015, 03:42 PM
If you are not happy with the C Sharps put it up for sale acknowledging the deficiency and you will probably get a buyer!

GuzziRider
02-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Want to have a real interesting experience? Try sending a C. Sharps back to them in an MVA box! I did it with out thinking as the MVA box I had on hand was wood and I reasoned it would be safer. Never saw that box again!

country gent
02-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Mistakes do happen and its upsetting when they do. Especially when its something youve been waiting for for severl months. But it sounds like C Sharps is making it right and gave a decent explanation of what happened. After about a years use my Hepburn broke a trigger spring, a quick call to Pete and one was on the way priority mail the same day. Its great dealing with a reputable company thats is willing to admit thier mistaakes and make them right.

ColColt
02-23-2015, 07:08 PM
I got the sight in the mail today. I'd like to apologize to C. Sharps and for posting as I did on this forum. Not that this is an excuse to offer but for the past few weeks I can't seem to get anything delivered properly. I had some important documents sent 2nd day air via UPS that didn't arrive until a week later followed by a $60 order for CD's with the Jewel cases cracked. Then having to deal daily since this summer with neuropathy in my foot/toes(numbness, stinging, tingling, burning) and trying to live with that plus all the above hasn't exactly given me the best temperament I've ever had. Then, I got the rifle sans the front sight.

Nevertheless, I'll not start a thread like this again, regardless.

oldred
02-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Now that that's settled how about some pics of that new rifle? We never get tired of seeing new rifles, especially top quality guns from makers such as C Sharps.

ColColt
02-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Soon-we just lost our power for the third time in the past eight days. This time only about a little over an hour.

mack1
02-23-2015, 09:16 PM
I got the sight in the mail today. I'd like to apologize to C. Sharps and for posting as I did on this forum. Not that this is an excuse to offer but for the past few weeks I can't seem to get anything delivered properly. I had some important documents sent 2nd day air via UPS that didn't arrive until a week later followed by a $60 order for CD's with the Jewel cases cracked. Then having to deal daily since this summer with neuropathy in my foot/toes(numbness, stinging, tingling, burning) and trying to live with that plus all the above hasn't exactly given me the best temperament I've ever had. Then, I got the rifle sans the front sight.

Nevertheless, I'll not start a thread like this again, regardless.

I wouldn't feel to bad about the thread we all see C Sharps service at work, I think this is good for them and all who follow this thread. If you never posted we wouldn't know of it and your honestly in reporting on them has real value.
Thanks

ColColt
02-23-2015, 10:18 PM
A few pics...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/BEBF41.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0BEBF41j)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/94s49Q.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ex94s49Qj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/661/HMYz2k.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idHMYz2kj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/631/YgS5tU.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hjYgS5tUj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/913/gUuZpc.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pdgUuZpcj)

Don McDowell
02-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Looks pretty good. Now we need to see some shooting results.:bigsmyl2:

ColColt
02-23-2015, 10:21 PM
One more to know the caliber...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/6SuHmQ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f06SuHmQj)

Way too cold for shooting. Snow and ice still on the ground now a week.

country gent
02-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Very nice rifle there ColColt. JUst curious but what barrel length?

ColColt
02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
32"...my favorite.

ColColt
02-23-2015, 10:30 PM
The set trigger was way too light for me so, I backed it out several turns and is not as touchy but now I've introduced some creep into it. I'll have to work on that.

StrawHat
02-24-2015, 07:52 AM
The set trigger was way too light for me so, I backed it out several turns and is not as touchy but now I've introduced some creep into it. I'll have to work on that.

As Rosanna would say "...It's always something!... " The good thing is you have the ability to remedy it. Some folks don't. Like you, I find light triggers very vexing and prefer something that requires more than a look to set it off. I really prefer two stage triggers but they are hard to find on a set up like yours.

Kevin

oldred
02-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Crisp lines and excellent metal to wood fit! That's the kind of thing we like to see! The fit&finish of newer production guns these days (of course that one is not exactly a "production" gun!) has reached the point of simply appalling and it's nice to see real quality for a change, certainly worth every penny.

Gunlaker
02-24-2015, 11:09 AM
C. Sharps does a really nice job fitting the wood. Your rifle looks a lot like the first CSA 1874 rifle I bought. Mine is a .45-110 and works quite well with paper patched bullets.

Chris.

fouronesix
02-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Yes, ColColt, that is a fine looking rifle. Don't know what all the hand wringing and OMG posts were about from other posters about the front sight mistake. Somehow I don't think that the same panic and remarks would have been made if it were a Shiloh. Wasn't rocket science to get ahold of C Sharps to correct the error nor was it rocket science to install one- huh.

I've had M1874 Shiloh, M1874 C Sharps and original M1874 Sharps rifles. I have looked into and inspected them very closely and have shot them all. IMO, the C Sharps comes the closest to the real thing (in many ways).

FWIW, I've kept two…. the original and the C Sharps. :)

Don McDowell
02-24-2015, 01:47 PM
I am curios as to why the choice of the MVA sight over C Sharps front sight. Outside of the MVA level permenantly mounted to the sight, it looks like it will raise your sight setting 20 minutes or there about, just as the C Sharps sight does.
I have bubble level fronts from CSA, Baldwin, Shaver and Distant Thunder midrange, and am really partial to the Distant thunder as it sits a lot closer to the top of the barrel, allowing for less elevation on the tang.

Boz330
02-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks Don. I was just getting ready to order that exact sight and was wondering if it was a little closer to the barrel than the one I'm using now.

Bob

Don McDowell
02-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Bob I believe it's about as close as a fella is going to get it and still have a bubble level. Thinking about ordering the octagon shaped one, with a couple of the special order inserts thrown in for kicks and grins.

Don McDowell
02-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Boz the Baldwin sit very low as well, I only need a flat 200 on the staff of the CPA 45-90 to be spot on a 1000 yds.

Boz330
02-24-2015, 05:56 PM
I like the idea of the angled mount for the longer ranges and that I can order the annulus and aperture size to suit my eyes. I already have the Distant Thunder rear. No problem reading the numbers on that thing. I was also going to try his rectangular aperture for the Ram and pig and see how that does.
I was using an MVA scope for the last several years for silhouettes but since I got a pair of amber seeing glasses I seem to be able to get by with irons again. Not only getting by but my scores at the last couple matches have been the best that they have been in quite some time. Not sure why but I like it.

Bob

Don McDowell
02-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I have not shot the big sillouettes but once, and I did find that open centered crosshair to be favorable for me. I can't see the 22bpcr turkeys well enough to do much more than fire the allotted rounds for that relay, so I shoot scope for those lil buggers.

paul s
02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Curious, why a C. Sharps and not a Shiloh ?

Gunlaker
02-25-2015, 11:16 AM
I am curios as to why the choice of the MVA sight over C Sharps front sight. Outside of the MVA level permenantly mounted to the sight, it looks like it will raise your sight setting 20 minutes or there about, just as the C Sharps sight does. I have bubble level fronts from CSA, Baldwin, Shaver and Distant Thunder midrange, and am really partial to the Distant thunder as it sits a lot closer to the top of the barrel, allowing for less elevation on the tang.

That sight is definitely a bit taller than the ones on my C. Sharps rifles. For silhouette I like the Shaver large diameter globe. It helps me see a larger area around the largest.

Last year at Kamloops I hit five chickens in one relay, but only got two points because I hit three out of order! That was with an MVA low profile sight ( which is also a great site ). That was embarassing, and obviously three dumb mistakes, but the bigger diameter globe makes this mistake a tiny bit harder to make.

The only thing I don't like about the larger diameter Shaver globe is that the inserts aren't quite ideal for me and I don't believe anyone else makes inserts compatible with it. I like the way the insert is held in place as I'm not a bit fan of the flat spring used in the MVA and CSA sights.

I still have a CSA front sight on my .45-90. I've been waffling over ordering the Distant Thunder front as I might just go for the DZ scope instead. Gotta make up my mind soon on that one.

Chris.

Don McDowell
02-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Chris, Distant Thunder makes inserts that will fit the shaver. I think Ron Snovers lollipops will fit that sight as well, but don't hold me to that.

Grump
02-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Off topic:

fouronesix (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?25058-fouronesix):

The system here says I can't send you a PM. I have a BP related question for you but prefer to not start a thread and hope you reply to it. PRB, a flask that was used after a certain rifle was adopted and the charge it throws...

Please LMK how to contact you.

Thanks!

Boz330
02-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Curious, why a C. Sharps and not a Shiloh ?
Probably the wait time. C-Sharps can generally make you a rifle within a couple months. Last I heard which was sometime ago Shiloh was a 3 year wait. They have a loyal following but so does C-sharps. I have 2 C-Sharps rifles and my experience with them was nothing but positive. In fact I broke a firing pin on my Hiwall the day before deer season and they got it to me at deer camp on Monday which was the next mail delivery day. I did manage to jury rig a firing pin out of a drill bit and it killed a very nice buck opening day.

Bob

fouronesix
02-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Off topic:

fouronesix (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?25058-fouronesix):

The system here says I can't send you a PM. I have a BP related question for you but prefer to not start a thread and hope you reply to it. PRB, a flask that was used after a certain rifle was adopted and the charge it throws...

Please LMK how to contact you.

Thanks!

Grump, go ahead now and shoot me a PM. You should have one in your inbox.

Grump
02-26-2015, 02:13 AM
Grump, go ahead now and shoot me a PM. You should have one in your inbox.

Got it, done, thank you and public props for accommodating my request.

Kinda like the old Honda advertising, you meet the nicest people when packing guns.

ColColt
03-03-2015, 08:36 PM
No explanation as to the choice of MVA over the C. Sharps other than I just like the looks and was familiar with it. The choice of C.Sharps over Shiloh was easy. I may not be alive by the time they finished it. Make no mistake, they make gorgeous rifles but at 69 and two other hobbies I didn't want to wait that long and possible be out of the mood...or out of time.

Hiwall55
03-18-2015, 10:02 PM
He must be out of the mood, it's for sale in swapping and sellin

Kenny Wasserburger
03-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Funny! As for Shilohs it depends on what you want going through Goodman you can your shiloh in 6 months or less. Most direct are 18-20 months. Unless like a bull barrel model may take 2 years, mine from order to delivery was 6 short months.
KW

Gunlaker
03-19-2015, 02:33 PM
My bull barreled Shiloh was also less than a year if I remember correctly. I think I called just in time to get in for a bull barrel run. My last Shiloh, a .40-65 took a fair bit longer, but it also has a few more options so the production time was longer.

I'm going to be passing through Montana a couple of times this year. It will be awfully hard not to drop into the Shiloh shop and order another.

Chris.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-20-2015, 11:49 AM

In the original Sharps company someone would have sat down with the rifle, and pen and an inkwell, and billed you for what was on the rifle. I think this is an example of extra work caused by all those labour-saving devices we have now.

Chill Wills
03-20-2015, 02:10 PM
In the original Sharps company someone would have sat down with the rifle, and pen and an inkwell, and billed you for what was on the rifle. I think this is an example of extra work caused by all those labour-saving devices we have now.

Ain't it the truth!