PDA

View Full Version : Value of mosins today

Tackleberry41
02-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Seems the days of cheap mosins are over. A quick look on google and didnt find any in stock anywhere, vs the way they used to be. Friend said he was in Dunhams not long ago, and they were cleaned out. So what will this do to prices?

I have 3 of them, the usual thing starts with one, swore it would be a zero dollar rifle, no scopes, stocks etc. Now have the 3. Bought 2 recently looking for project guns, good deal at $400 for 2 rifles, ATI stock, 2 sets of ATI scope mounts and bolt handles, 95% of a spam can. Thinking I will get rid of one, keep one as a bone stock rifle, the other one I have already messed with in the lathe as my project gun shooting subsonic heavy cast out of it.

So question is whats the rifle worth if I walk around in the gun show with it? 1943 production, Ishevek made. Nothing wrong with it, guy I bought em from already did the down turned bolt, but never drilled for the scope mount. Not the prettiest rifle, with not much finish on it. Is $150 to much to ask? I know I only paid that for a really nice prewar hex gun, but it was 2 yrs ago, when you could just order one up.

Houndog
02-14-2015, 09:32 AM
You don't list your location so I don't know how close you are, but Bud's gun shop in Sevierville TN. has several cases of them for $149.00 each.

GhostHawk
02-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Still able to find them by the case from the company's that import them. Such as Century Arms which has them at 139.99.

Cabella's has them for 169.99.

I do think the price has gone up somewhat. I also think the stocks could be running down. With Russia and Yugoslavia squabbling exports from that region probably are just not going to happen.

JeffHolt
02-14-2015, 11:10 AM
130766look for barreled actions for project guns... you making use of something that isn't and saving a mosin and at the same time not destroying any military/ historical pieces.

Tackleberry41
02-14-2015, 01:21 PM
I bought the rifles as project guns. They are not exactly perfect, both pretty rough war time production. My son was asking me about the one in the lathe as it wobbled, well the bore was straight, but required alot of offset in the 4 jaw to get it that way. Kept the one, serves the purposes I had in mind, cut down barrel shooting heavy subsonic. And I can set my really nice one aside. 3rd one is just an extra one and whatever cash I can get for it is most welcome towards a gun on layaway.

I looked around on line and everything I could find said 'out of stock'. Just have to see, maybe I can sell it maybe not. I would be happy with $100, like I said its not exactly pretty.

dragon813gt
02-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Still racks and racks of them at Cabela's. I won't pay what they want for them. They days of $99 Mosins are long gone. But you can still buy them.

Motor
02-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy an altered one. Sorry shouldn't have gone there.

I'd say you should be able to get above 100 bucks for it. Ask 150 then go from there.;-)

CHeatermk3
02-14-2015, 02:05 PM
How was the bolt done? Having the bolt done professionally is worth at least $50. If you wanted you could swap the bolt body with one of your others if you wanted to and sell the rifle that way but getting one with the bolt work already done should make it a $150 rifle.

JeffHolt
02-14-2015, 03:59 PM
TB 41,
I took a 43 that Ivan mis-cut on the lathe. It had a 2 inch section of barrel that was slightly thinner than the rest of it about 3/5ths of the way down. I also had to grind down the sight base and the 2 pins. As you are probably aware the 42's and 43's are roughly done specimens. The threadlike texture of the entire barrel was ground off and then I polished with emery cloth to a finer finish. It is sitting in the laminated stock in my previous post. (pics added). just need to tap for a scope mount and square, crown and thread for a Muzzle brake. the one in the Archangel stock is GTG.

Remiel
02-14-2015, 04:48 PM
the parts for my Project Boris will be here next week, took a cut up bubba'd Westinghouse M91 and i am converting it to a bench rifle,

JeffHolt
02-14-2015, 06:52 PM
"Project Boris"
I named my first Build the "Romanov's Legacy' sucked that I used a commie built receiver though. (although that could be construed as part of the whole legacy thing...)

Remiel
02-14-2015, 11:59 PM
"Project Boris"
I named my first Build the "Romanov's Legacy' sucked that I used a commie built receiver though. (although that could be construed as part of the whole legacy thing...)
Yeah I thought it sounded good for a name, I prefer the imperial hex receivers for my stuff, i got this rifle as a project for 75 bucks, so i figured i would give it a go

nagantguy
02-15-2015, 12:17 AM
You could get $150 most likely but probly not from a dealer, who will put it on his table fer about $169, that seemed to be the average price at the last show I went to. Deals can still be found. I am looking for an action; one more project then that's it, honest no kidding. After this ugly chi 53 gets done being powder coated and recrowned and this last heavy barrel project that's it, well except the good looking polish I'd like to drop into a beech stock I've been meaning to finish but after that I'm done. Except there is one real nice condition 37 tula in the safe I've been meaning to do something special with. And the owner of the cpl school where I'm an associate instructor has a very nice hex Remington he's thinking of selling.....

Frank46
02-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Go over to Nitroexpress.com. They have a quite good article on mosins. While i really like them as they are. They show some that modifications have been made to the magazine so that you do not have that wedge shape on the bottom of the mag. Since this obviously reduces magazine capacity they show the bottom of the mag as being flush with the bottom of the stock. Changes the whole look of the rifle. Figure on up the spout and two in the modded mag. Frank

LAGS
02-15-2015, 11:42 AM
I modify some of my Custom Mosin Nagants to the flat bottom magazine design.
And you are right.
You get two in the magazine and one in the pipe.
Still plenty of capacity for hunting, and a lot more comfortable to carry in the field.

Tackleberry41
02-15-2015, 10:31 PM
It was a pretty poor example of a mosin. One side of the receiver looked like they didnt care about file marks, almost ribbed. None of the numbers matched, little finish. I didnt know they had subvariations on Russian guns, this one wouldn't go in an ATI or my other rifles stock. They usually cut some notches at the rear of the receiver, but not on this one. It also shot terrible, I got my value out of the deal, and a $100, I wont miss it.

The bolt was the ATI set up, the guy I got them from followed the directions, but wont stay tight that way. Bit hard to fix after its been cut off. I filled the handle with marine tex, red locktight on the screw.

Wasnt a great gunshow or anything, saw a few mosins for sale. All over $200.