PDA

View Full Version : Tried New Mold Last Night

lolbell
02-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I got a new RCBS 410-210-KT mold a few days ago and finally got to test it out last night. I am a new caster and to date have used nothing but aluminum molds.

Al I can say about that is - using a steel mold is different. I tried to warm the mold on the pot as the alloy was coming up to temp, which works with the Lee molds, but was not enough time for the steel mold.

After the alloy came up to temp it still took about 25 casts to get mold temp up, and that was taking my time dropping the boolits from the mold. After the mold started working good it took a whole different rhythm to keep things going.

This is my first boolit to cast with a lube groove so now I get to try and figure out this 450 Lubrisizer I purchased a few weeks ago. I got the lube and top punch and sizer dies. I just need to figure it out.

Here is last nights work130640

jeepyj
02-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Depending on how you prepped the mould that could have been part of the reason it took extra casts to get the baby up and rolling. I'll bet next time it will sing right off the bat. A hot plate from a thrift store will help you get the mould up to temp a little easier especially when your using more than one mould. The Boolits in the picture look as though it was well worth the wait. You may find it a bit easier to pick up a Lyman heater for your 450. I use carnauba red heated in my old 45 and I'm soooo pleased with the results. best of luck!
Jeepyj

lolbell
02-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I cleaned the mold with some electrical contact cleaner that we use at work. This has worked good on the Lee molds. After cleaning I smoked them with a match and lubed them with synthetic 2 cycle oil.

I've got a heat gun that I use when covering model airplanes that I am going to try to get by with for a heater for now, but if I stick with this casting thing I'll check into a heater.

runfiverun
02-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Why would you put soot in a mold?
just warm it up and go

jeepyj
02-13-2015, 09:29 PM
I cleaned the mold with some electrical contact cleaner that we use at work. This has worked good on the Lee molds. After cleaning I smoked them with a match and lubed them with synthetic 2 cycle oil.

I've got a heat gun that I use when covering model airplanes that I am going to try to get by with for a heater for now, but if I stick with this casting thing I'll check into a heater.

That old monokote air gun will work is a matter of fact quite often I use a heat gun to get mine up to temerture quick. The small iron used for your RC coverings probably would work well if you were to get it to make enough contact area.
Jeepyj

lolbell
02-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Why would you put soot in a mold?
just warm it up and go

I read in the Lyman Cast Manual that sooting the cavities would help with sticking. I'll admit I am green as goose stuff when it comes to casting, but I'm learning. I don't know if it helped or not. I still had to give it a pretty good whack on the handle hinge to get 'em to fall out nearly every time

lolbell
02-13-2015, 10:29 PM
That old monokote air gun will work is a matter of fact quite often I use a heat gun to get mine up to temerture quick. The small iron used for your RC coverings probably would work well if you were to get it to make enough contact area.
Jeepyj

I didn't think of the iron. I've got a couple of large ones and a couple of small ones.. I guess you could just turn it on and lay it against the lube reservoir? I got the 450 cleaned up and adjusted this evening. I sized and lubed 100 of the 410 210 KT bullets tonight. After lubing 10 averaged 213 grains. Tomorrow I hope to get to do some testing. I'll be shooting these in a Super Blackhawk Hunter. I'll load them over Unique and IMR4227.

I've shot a commercial cast to 1150fps without leading and pretty good accuracy with the 4227. I hope I my home cast will do as good or better since this revolver has been my deer rifle for the last couple of years.