PDA

View Full Version : Ammo box for 7.62x54r

Tackleberry41
02-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Anybody know a good ammo box for the mosins. I know MTM etc say use same ones that fit a 308, yea it holds them, but not very good, wobbling and banging around. Bought some 20rd ones, dont remember the #s on the box, but the lid was resting on the ammo, not quite all the way on. Or will I have to modify something else, maybe a plexi plate w holes drilled so they wont rattle around so much? Or something soft you can put down in the holes?

LuckyDog
02-13-2015, 12:23 PM
This is the one I am using:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/237894/mtm-flip-top-ammo-box-7mm-winchester-short-magnum-wsm-300-winchester-short-magnum-wsm-45-70-government-50-round-plastic

Gunor
02-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Bullet up or down - just going thru the same on the 54R

Tackleberry41
02-13-2015, 01:13 PM
I know part of the problem is just it being that weird russian case. Might almost take a special designed box for them, unlikely.

Bullet up, they are going to rattle and bang around even more, certainly be at all sorts of odd angles when you open it. So I think only way would be bullet down, again it would take a specifically designed box to have space for the wide rim on one and narrow on the other, and wouldn't fit anything else except the old similar and obsolete stuff.

I tried some in my MTM RM-50, which is what comes up for 54Rs. They wobble around real bad with that taper to them, pain to even close the lid as they tend to lean over in the way.

I was trying to think of something that could be put down in the holes, moldable maybe. Silicone or spray foam, wrap rounds in saran wrap until things set up? Or on the other end, a piece of plexi cut to fit in the box, then holes drilled for each round, I know sounds like alot of fun.

1johnlb
02-13-2015, 01:37 PM
They make, foam inserts that sit on top of the rounds in the mtm cases. You could also easily make some with foam.

I use the mtm when working up loads, then I use 30 cal cans for bulk reload storage of plinking rounds.

Tackleberry41
02-13-2015, 01:52 PM
My extra stuff I often just put in a freezer bag, printed label telling me whats in it. But its always nice to have a organized box to sit next to you at the range, plus they stack better in the gun safe than plastic bags. Ill mess with it when I get the time, find the right kind of foam to use, maybe experiment with a dollop of silicone in the bottom, slowly press a wrapped bullet into it see how it comes out.

30calflash
02-13-2015, 02:16 PM
The R-100's may be better as you can remove the tray and turn it 90 degrees to adjust the depth of the rounds in the box.

That and foam in the lid as described would probably be ok.

FWIW I never noticed the rattling, I'm sure it's there though.

LuckyDog
02-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Mine rattles. I have been loading 115 SWC into pulled Surplus cartridges, so I am not worried about the tips though. Even with the short rounds they stand up nice even after turning the box upside down and back.

If you want to try the R-100, use the R-100-MAG
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1564323330/mtm-deluxe-flip-top-ammo-box-with-handle-7mm-winchester-short-magnum-wsm-to-470-capstick-100-round-plastic
and you can get the foam pad too.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/common/2013-R-Ammo-box-chart.pdf

Tackleberry41
02-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Went to MTMs site. Seems its the 'deluxe' thats required. The R series, just has the square holes, the deluxe has the trays, with fingers to hold things in place. The bit more comprehensive PDF chart on their site says R-100-mag with the tray up will work with them tip down. Odd tho that the 50rd H-50-mag doesnt show it works with 54r, one would think it would just hold 50rds vs 100, but there I go thinking. Guess will just have to buy some and see what works.

shawnba67
02-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Could you shoot great stuff into a box then poke lubed rounds into it?

LuckyDog
02-17-2015, 11:33 AM
... Guess will just have to buy some and see what works.

Let us know what you find out, please.

texassako
02-17-2015, 12:26 PM
I use the SmartReloader VBSR617 that holds the rounds point up. They have held up well and are cheap, but are a strange 36 round count(4x9). I thought of switching to an MTM 100 count box, but I already have about a dozen of these boxes. The rounds can rattle a little bit because the holes in any bullet up box are going to be big enough for the rim and a lot bigger than the body. A bit of foam cut to fit the lid would take care of that if it bothered me. I can fit the longest rounds I can assemble in them, 245 gr seated way out to engrave a long Finn throat.

Tackleberry41
02-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I was at my friends over the weekend, I knew he had one of the deluxe boxes for his 308, 54r fit fine in it without rattling around, room for the rims. But big for a 50rd box, but guess thats what it will take.

Jack Stanley
02-18-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking a thirty caliber ammo can would work better than the plastic boxes I have . The MTM is close but no cigar .

Jack

340six
02-18-2015, 04:35 PM
I am using J-20 LLD and they do ok and do rattle a little but i care not they fit