PDA

View Full Version : Lee Sizer Sizing Smaller than Previously

prickett
02-13-2015, 12:38 AM
I have a Lee .357" push through sizer. It now seems to be sizing smaller than it had previously (between .355" and .356"). I'm sizing PC boolits. So, I'm left to wonder whether either PC or lead has built up on it. Visually inspecting it doesn't appear there is any build up. But, just to be sure I'd like to clean it. How do you guys (or DO you) clean your sizer die? (to remove either lead or PC)

tazman
02-13-2015, 01:40 AM
I have never had that particular problem over thousands of boolits through my sizer. Not sure what to answer except that standard gun cleaners should clean it fine.

Bzcraig
02-13-2015, 02:19 AM
I have cleaned mine but never had a problem with lead build up. I once read a thread talking about this because Lee recommends lubing first to prevent leading in the sizer. Someone observed that the Boolit going through the sizer at maybe 1fps would not cause leading. It made total sense to me so I stopped worrying about lead buildup in the sizer.

LoopSoosStroop
02-13-2015, 02:59 AM
Someone observed that the Boolit going through the sizer at maybe 1fps would not cause leading.

Hahahaha

ipijohn
02-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Every couple of thousand, I chuck my sizer up in my lathe and use some 1000 grit wet/dry with oil on a bowel to "polish" out anything that might heve built up. The whole process takes only a few seconds. I size both before and after PC.

Doughty
02-13-2015, 11:00 AM
pricket,

Could it be that the sizer has not changed, but that the lead (alloy?) hardness? has changed?

Cowboy_Dan
02-13-2015, 12:08 PM
pricket,

Could it be that the sizer has not changed, but that the lead (alloy?) hardness? has changed?

Good point, also different alloys have different levels of springback. Generally speaking, more Pb\less Sn and Sb = less springback.

btroj
02-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Alloy change will give change in sized bullet diameter.

You CAN get lead deposits too. Run a brush thru the sizer with some steel wool on it and see what comes out.

Char-Gar
02-13-2015, 05:55 PM
The sizer dies don't shrink and trash left behind from sizing lead bullets cleans out easy with a good bronze brush and a little elbow grease. I think it is the powder coating **** that has fouled your die.

prickett
02-13-2015, 07:53 PM
>> Could it be that the sizer has not changed, but that the lead (alloy?) hardness? has changed?

Could be, but when I use a .358" die it seems to size properly.

>>I chuck my sizer up in my lathe and use some 1000 grit wet/dry with oil on a bowel to "polish"

I think I'll give this a shot. But, I'll be using a dowel instead of a bowel as that could get painful :-)

Thanks all.

MT Chambers
02-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Every couple of thousand, I chuck my sizer up in my lathe and use some 1000 grit wet/dry with oil on a bowel to "polish" out anything that might heve built up. The whole process takes only a few seconds. I size both before and after PC.
Okay, so you put oil on your "bowel" to polish things? Lotsa things to learn on here.

sawzall
02-14-2015, 11:12 PM
I've had (unnoticed) leading in Lee sizer dies. When sizing powder coats with them, the first few through the die came out with lead smears on them, on top of the powder coating. The PC cleans the lead right out. Try sizing an uncoated boolit cast from the same mol;d and alloy. If it sizes normally to your desired diameter, you know the problem lies with the powder coating. Maybe less spring back vs. uncoated boolit?

theperfessor
02-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Hope the OP doesn't take this the wrong way, but what are you using to measure with, and do you have a standard to check it with to be sure it hasn't changed zero? I try to check my mikes regularly, and especially when measurements don't seem to add up. Of course it could be different springback from different alloys, or fouling of some sort, but why not eliminate one possible cause quickly and easily?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-15-2015, 12:21 PM
yeah, I'm with theprefessor on this one.

Also, I wonder if different coatings and different coating thicknesses have different memory/springback. The OP didn't mention if he changed anything with his coating technique.