PDA

View Full Version : SAECO LUBRI-SIZER PRESS question

Just Duke
03-01-2008, 02:17 AM
The handle on the side looks awkward to use. How does it compare to the Lyman or the Star?

Jon K
03-01-2008, 02:25 AM
DN,

Just different, that's all...........You can cut a notch, or turn the bench for the sizer, if you want the handle to point out. Good press, I sold mine + extras to finance a Star.

Jon

Just Duke
03-01-2008, 02:34 AM
The Star I had seem to be a pain to change dies. So would I be better off with a Star even if I am seating GC's on 500 GR 450 S&W and 500 grain 45-70's?

Jon K
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
No, depends on how well the GC fits the boolit and how the boolit fits the sizing die. I had a mould that the GC wouldn't fit the boolit, so I expanded the GC, now the die @.459 would not crimp the GC tightly. A seperate GC seater like on your Saeco would do the job.

Jon

Le Loup Solitaire
03-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi, I've got two of them. Use one for pistol and one for rifle. Not awkward at all and I'm a lefty. The pain is with the top punches. They are not compatible with the Lyman and RCBS punches because the Saeco ones are of the screw in type and they are spendy. I got fed up with that and had a machinist friend make me an adapter to use the Lyman and RCBS type. the boolits don't know the difference. A plus point is that you don't need to look for lube sticks that have a hole in the center. I have both of mine mounted on short lengths of 1X4 board and clamp the board to the bench anywhere and at whatever angle I want the handle to be at. Been using them for 15-20 years and have had no probs. I originally tried the Lyman and it leaked a lot plus the ratchet system broke. Dumped it and got an RCBS. That needed hollow sticks, used the same dies as the Lyman and also leaked lube, but not as bad as the Lyman. Got fed up with their little pressuring swivel system...the little plastic balls kept unscrewing and bouncing around all over the shop. Enough of the games and I got a Saeco. Liked it so much I got a second one and have been happy with the arrangement ever since. Loup

The Nyack Kid
03-02-2008, 02:23 AM
IMO they are the best/strongest inandout luber/sizer on the market. it can be used as a push though sizer if one just wants to size (then heat-treat , and lube later) . it really easy to do just remove the depth adjuster and vola ,just dont lose all the parts. i did have to modify a nose punch , but i use that nose punch for 90% of my needs (flat nosed big caliber boolits)

bobthenailer
03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
i had them on 2 seperate occasions, and i also doent like te side mounted handle , after the first one i bought a star, then about 5 years ago i bought another one for black powder lube ,sold it and bought another star as im useing a different lube than spg now.

cbrick
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
The handle on the side looks awkward to use. How does it compare to the Lyman or the Star?

The Lyman, SAECO and RCBS don't compare to the Star. The Star is better on several counts. Its faster, it doesn't mess up bullet noses, it puts lube where YOU want it and most importantly . . . it sizes boolits more concentrically.

I started out with the RCBS and after the second time I got it back from the factory I sold it and bought the SAECO. Shortly after that I got a used Star. Even though the Star has been used 99% of the time since then the SAECO has still been to the factory once.

I bought my used Star from John Adams. John owned SAECO and when he sold SAECO to Redding and closed the shop he sold me his Star. Now if you think about this . . . why was SAECO using a Star when he had all of the SAECO's including dies that he could want? hhmmm . . .

The Star I had seem to be a pain to change dies. So would I be better off with a Star even if I am seating GC's on 500 GR 450 S&W and 500 grain 45-70's?

I solved the check seating problem by sizing the checks first. They slip on properly with no lead shaving and crimp on tight. No sore thumbs either.

As for changing dies in a Star being a pain, you simply need the Magma die changing tool. Extremely quick and simple.

http://www.lasc.us/DieExtractionTool-3.jpg

Screw #1 in where the punch goes, slip #2 from the bottom up through the die and screw into #1, raise handle and the dies out. Simple.

Rick

Just Duke
03-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks a bunch for the excellent imput guys.
Rangerrick, my buddy in Alaska, called me today and I asked him what he uses He uses the Star and the RCBS and has had no trouble with them. I would go with Lyman but they don't return my phone calls to this day.
So I am putting in my order tomorow.
Thanks again.

Just Duke
03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I just noticed the front page. Mods can you move this thread to the appropriated board. Sorry.
TIA
Duke

Just Duke
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
To my surprise the RCBS Lubesizer showed up today from Graf and Sons. Thanks for the heads up on the RCBS Rangerrick. This is the only Lube sizer he says that holds up to professional use.

I will be waiting for the Star now.:-D

TAWILDCATT
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
cbrick:wonder how long John Adams owned saeco.the owner died as I talked to his wife after his passing. think the moulds were Cramer.wondered who made the melting pot as it was nearly identical to Lyman.look at picture of Lymans first lubricator,the saeco /reading is same upgraded.with Mepos die.

cbrick
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Don't know how long they owned SAECO, several years anyway, the owner you mentioned and John Adams where partners in the ownership. Johns best friend and partner died just a few years after selling to Redding, a heart attack if I remember right and he was fairly young. Give or take a couple of years 60ish.

Sundogg1911
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I bought a bunch of original star sizing dies from a gentleman named John Paul Jones. We talked a few times. He worked for Saeco and then went to Star. He tole me that the star press was designed as a base first press, and He designed and tested the nose first flat punches. He had a tom of stuff in his collection. He said he was in bad health and selling off the stuff. Really nice guy to talk to.