PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a commemorative pistol as an investment. Opinions wanted

DanWalker
02-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Hey guys,
My local gun store has this commemorative Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag in stock.
It was customized by American Legacy Firearms. It is unfired.
Wondering what you guys would consider a good price for it.
I'm wanting to pick it up as an investment, and flip it for a profit.
What should I be offering to pay for it, and what would you expect the resale value to be?
Not trying to get rich or rip my buddy off on it.
Just trying to figure out if there's any interest in these things, and if I could turn a few bucks profit.
Not even sure anyone would want it. I await your sage words gentlemen...

rintinglen
02-12-2015, 11:48 PM
As an investment it absolutely blows. Those faux collectibles and tribute guns NEVER are good investments. They typically cost 2-4 times what the same model would sell for, without the fancy laser graving, and the value falls by half the moment it is in your hands. That particular gun is a dolled up Ruger SBH, Street prices, new, maybe 750 dollars.
You would be very hard put to get 1,400 for it. I suspect it went for "24 easy payments of 91.99." Unless you already know a millionaire collector who's gaga over Ruger commemoratives, it'll be a tough resale. At least, at a profit.

DanWalker
02-12-2015, 11:55 PM
GOOD to know. Thanks for the info. Anyone else care to chime in?

Oreo
02-13-2015, 12:19 AM
Hit gunbroker and look for an old high quality revolver in excellent condition. Doesn't even have to be never-fired. Colt, Python, Korth, and even S&W. If you're a careful shopper to get a fair market value price, the very worst you could do is break even. The don't make guns like those anymore and they're getting harder and harder to come by. People love them for their quality and beauty.

Zim
02-13-2015, 09:49 AM
I'll agree. If you buy a $2000 car, put $5,000 paint job and $2000 worth of tires on it, you still have a $2,000 car.

The collectables are pretty to those who buy them, but real small market. I'll take mine with honest wear.

contender1
02-13-2015, 10:11 AM
To us who are serious Ruger collectors, (I'm one) anything not done or authorized as a factory item, will NOT get much interest. I'd pass as an investment.

If you are wanting to buy & flip guns, then start learning about older, lower production, high demand guns. Then start searching the pawn shops, auction houses, estate sales, & as many out of the way places you can. You'll make more $$ that way. Oh, be sure to get a FFL if you are planning on dealing in firearms.

bob208
02-13-2015, 12:38 PM
yea I got the commemorative bug twice 1 a Winchester the other a ruger .22 pistol. was lucky I got my money out of them. did not make any. never again.

bedbugbilly
02-13-2015, 12:44 PM
There are certainly "collectors" to whom these appeal and to each their own. But, I personally would never waste the money on one. I think their "collectibility" is too limited.

Another thing to consider . . and since I'm "older" . . . I'll put it out there. You have to look at your own situation . . if and when something happens to you . . . I doubt very much that what you put in to them will be realized when sold. Yes . . if you have children that are interested in them, they can be passed on. If you and it's up to your better half . . well . . . I know in my case she would have no idea of what they "might" be worth or the quickest way to dispose of them . . . especially if the situation is that she is up in years and needs money for health care, etc.

I had a friend who was really in to 1911 Colts. (A WWII Marine). He purchased many of the "commemoratives" but when it came time to having to dispose of them - his wife had Alzheimers and had to be put in a home - he had to go to Assisted Living - I helped him in liquidating much of their personal property as he needed the money for her care and his. Those commemoratives were "dogs" as far as I was concerned. You had to have the "right buyer" and basically, he lost money on all of them. Yes, he enjoyed them while he had them but when it was time to dispose of them, they didn't "appreciate" like he thought they would.

If it's something you really want and can afford . . then go for it. But do it with open eyes and what might lay down the road. I have settled several estates and liquidated firearms and have always found it easier to get fair prices on standard firearms than I have on "commemoratives". Someone else's mileage may vary though . . . .

NSB
02-13-2015, 12:45 PM
If you've got some money to invest, guns are a poor place to invest it. The idea of "investing" in guns is pretty lame. It falls into the "greater fool theory" of investing. You have to find someone willing to pay more than you did to make any money. Try to think of one person who actually made money investing in guns. I'm not talking about a hundred bucks or anything like that. I'm talking about real money. Savey investors don't put their money into guns. If you've got some money to invest, go talk to a financial adviser. You'll get a lot better return in the long run investing in the stock market (regardless of any recent downturns, it always goes back up).

pietro
02-13-2015, 01:18 PM

Personal enjoyment of a fancy firearm aside, IMO, those guns fashioned as a "collectible" are not the real collectible/antique, and are the Beany Babies and Dreamsicles of the gun world - bought @ a high price, then virtually unsellable years later.

Hardcast416taylor
02-13-2015, 01:45 PM
The only real money made from these "Collectables" was made by the people that sold them to you!Robert

runfiverun
02-13-2015, 02:52 PM
I have never come out well on a commemorative anything.
If I can't shoot it I don't want it anymore.

BethelHntr
02-13-2015, 02:53 PM
22 Long rifle ammo :bigsmyl2:

Bent Ramrod
02-13-2015, 05:18 PM
A friend bought a Commemorative revolver once. It cost less than a plain revolver of the same type, and when he sold it again, he lost a little money. Reasons:

He wanted to sell it, rather than buy it.

It had been fired.

It had been cocked.

It wasn't in the original box.

Even if it had been in the original box, the box would have been opened.

Even if the box had not been opened, the flimsy paper around the box had been removed.

Even if the flimsy paper around the box hadn't been removed, the sleeve over the flimsy paper was gone.

I imagine there were a couple other equally cogent reasons having nothing to do with the gun per se, but at that point I realized I was never going to be a Commemorative owner, or, for that matter, a Gun investor, and tuned further deposition out.

I am under the impression that Commemoratives which are never removed from their packaging do increase in cost somewhat after 25 years or so, but whether this makes up for the storage and maintenance expenses for the outside of a box, and the accompanying boredom of it all, I have no idea.

The manufacture of "collectibles" and Collectors' Items is not a cultural or historical advance.

opos
02-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Had a good friend that is gone now...he was obsessed with Dale Earnhart and NASCAR...he spent every spare dollar on "collectables"...had die cast cars, caps, pictures, clocks, every sort of thing imaginable...when he died it all went in a big garage sale for pennies on the dollar...investment value was nothing...but it made him happy and as the ad always says..."priceless"...if someone wants to collect "commemorative" guns..great..like John Wayne memorabilia ... probably won't ever get worth more but fun and enjoyable for the collector...

MtGun44
02-13-2015, 09:41 PM
The only people that make money selling commemorative guns is the gun maker.
They are typically very hard to sell second hand.

Bill

jonp
02-13-2015, 10:32 PM
If it makes you happy it's worth every penny. If you are buying it to make someone else happy then it is worth what they will pay you for it.

Hardcast416taylor
02-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Got a BIL that is an automotive engineer and is a very intelligent person. Back in the `60`s he bought quite a few of the then Winchester 66 commeratives in both barrel lengths as an investment. I warned him then that it was doubtful to happen. He still is waiting for their value to go thru the roof. He`s thinking they are worth thousands each because of their gold plated reciever, I have finally quit trying to explain to him about post 64 Winchester commeratives and their values.Robert

DanWalker
02-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge gentlemen. I am once again, in your debt. I didn't think this gun was worth much, but thought I should tap the well of knowledge here before passing on it.

jonp
02-14-2015, 07:31 AM
One last comment, Dan. I just saw a S&W Model 19 6in California Lawman Commemorative in the original wooden case, new condition, go for a little over $600 on an auction site. This should tell you what the commemorative edition did to the value. I would have bought it but shot it like any other gun

Never buy one of these things unless its something you want one for yourself for some reason like a John Wayne or Charleton Heston Commemorative Edition for personnel reasons.

bhn22
02-14-2015, 11:57 AM
I too would pass. Third party commemoratives never seem to do well. This one appears to perhaps be a "Fort Collins" commemorative, and I searched for auction results and selling history on similar guns without success. The company seems to be on the up and up according to the BBB, and they donate to the NRA, but none of that affects product value.

It would be a dandy barbeque gun though!

NSB
02-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Here's a good example of how much value "commemorative" firearms have: two years ago I decided I wanted a Win/Miroku High Wall in 45-70 and starded watching the internet sites for a good deal on a new one. The very best deal I got on a new gun was one that was a 125th Anniversary model with gold lettering, scroll marks on the receiver, and deep bluing on the barrel and receiver. I actually got that gun cheaper than the plain Jane model of the same gun. Commemorative guns have been done to death. They have basically no extra value anymore and too many people don't want to buy them and shoot them. The dealer I got the gun from had several in stock and sold them below cost. I shoot mine and it shoots great. I don't care if it's got the extra stuff on it. I bought it to shoot and got a better price on it buying it that way.

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't buy guns I can't shoot and the problem with these Commemorative Guns is if they are shot any possible extra value is shot with them.

Buying one to shoot is fine, but buying them as an investment is pointless. There is nothing particularly Rare about them. I guess if you had a whole set or collection of them, like collecting Commemorative Plates or coins, then you might have something.

Then all you'd have to do is find the one person on this planet that might want to buy your collection. I don't know who he is?

I don't see much upside to this path .

Randy

M-Tecs
02-14-2015, 04:07 PM
The only real money made from these "Collectables" was made by the people that sold them to you!Robert

Quote of the day and I hope you don't mind but I am stealing it.

smkummer
02-14-2015, 05:48 PM
DanW, while you may already have your answer, many of us have played this game and have comments. In the 60's and 70's and early 80's, Colt and Winchester among others seemed to have commemoratives for just about anything. They in my opinion overbuilt although some were not so over priced as the US historical society commemoratives. I remember buying a 1892 Browning lever 100 anniversary 44 mag. that was tasteful but it took 5 years just to get my money back on a trade. I have a Colt golden spike 22 single action revolver I bought about 2 years ago for $250 as it was used and no case and paperwork. It one of my fun shooters for about 1/2 of what a regular peacemaker would sell for now.
So I am on the side of the crowd that says "Run" when it comes to paying normal prices on commemoratives. Some of those post 94 Winchesters today are fancy shooters but never were ever a good investment. There are of course a couple of exceptions, one being the Colt Wyatt Earp 16" buntline 45 with skeleton stock. $250 then now $3000-$4000.

Petrol & Powder
02-14-2015, 07:29 PM
As an investment it absolutely blows. Those faux collectibles and tribute guns NEVER are good investments. They typically cost 2-4 times what the same model would sell for, without the fancy laser graving, and the value falls by half the moment it is in your hands. That particular gun is a dolled up Ruger SBH, Street prices, new, maybe 750 dollars.
You would be very hard put to get 1,400 for it. I suspect it went for "24 easy payments of 91.99." Unless you already know a millionaire collector who's gaga over Ruger commemoratives, it'll be a tough resale. At least, at a profit.

I couldn't agree more. Commemorative edition firearms almost NEVER re-sell for a profit, in fact, one is lucky to even get his money back out of it.
It's one thing to have a pristine Python or beautiful S&W triple lock but some dolled up production gun will probably not be a good return on your dollar.

sw282
02-15-2015, 05:05 AM
l have owned a couple of ''commemoratives'' in my time. First is a 125th Anniversary S&W Model 25-3... 0ne of the nicest revolvers they ever made. But you can get them dirt cheap. l paid a tad over 550..Chambered in 45 Colt mine shoots great.. a 1978 25-5 plain production will go for $1200-$1500 in the same condition...25-5s are crappy shooters because oversize throats 454-455...25-3 is a tite 452.. My other comm gun was/ a Colt Model P 100th Anniversary... Colt made 2 versions. 45 Colt blued-Nickel in 44WCF...These are 2nd Gen guns and my nickel 44-40 is a real JOY to shoot. NOT the wrist snap of a 45 Colt lts smooth and feels like a 38spcl..l ''stole'' it along with the fancy glass top walnut Colt Factory box it came for $700 from my local dealer. He knew what he had, and knows Colts better than all. Any other Colt PeaceMaker l have ever seen there was marked $1200 minimum... Collectables are great if you shoot them..l think they are bad investments if you buy them to look at.. Fine guns are like fine women and fast cars.. They are to be enjoyed by touching, shooting,driving