PDA

View Full Version : 1892 Krag with 1896 arsenal upgrade... who has one?

maxreloader
02-12-2015, 11:30 PM
I have a pretty nice specimen and was looking to compare with others that have the same. Thanks!

madsenshooter
02-13-2015, 02:59 AM
One? Can you have only one? Got three, 2 full length, one cutdown, all from 1895. I might have another one in my parts bin. One of the full lengths is an odd one, all the metal was parkerized. None of them ever were officially, but I figured what the heck, when someone else gets it in another 100yrs, it will look nearly as good as it does now. The stock has absorbed so much cosmoline it weighs a couple pounds more than my other, and the cartouche is an outtie! Here's my three:

bob208
02-13-2015, 11:51 AM
yes I have a 92 converted to 96 specs. it has the filled ramrod channel 94 receiver date.

madsenshooter
02-13-2015, 02:43 PM
What do want to know Max? There are some minor differences in mine even though they were produced the same year. The highest serial # is 22018, the parkerized Krag. As it came to me, it had a 96 sideplate on it. That could have been changed by someone other than the armory over the years. It has been worked on by someone who knew what they doing with Krags. It has the best trigger of all my Krags with zero overtravel. It is also tighter fitting than all my other Krags. It still has the full width guide rib on the bolt. The other two earlier ones have 92 sideplates and later bolts. All have the later 96 magazine box, those could have been changed during service or by someone else. The oldest one had gotten very rusty at some point in its life, but someone did a good job of getting the rust out of the receiver. Appears to have been rebarreled after that. The two older ones have .310 groove diameter, the parked rifle .308. All have a .301 bore diameter. If I could have no other rifles, I'd still have these antiques. They're a real blast to shoot!

maxreloader
02-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Mine has the 1894 date and is a 4 digit serial. I just picked up some Krag brass and will be reloading for it soon. The action looks to be the smoothest I have seen on an older rifle in quite some time. I cant wait to shoot it. I was looking around for a carbine and found the pricing on an actual carbine to be pretty high. I may be waiting for a while!

madsenshooter
02-15-2015, 04:00 AM
Yea, they are somewhat pricey, unless you're lucky enough to run into one of those sellers that doesn't know what they have. There's a story behind my parkerized Krag. It arrived snapped in two at the wrist. First I took the gun to the local PO, they wanted to keep it. No way, you surplused it once, you're not getting it back. So I made a claim with photographs and a statement from a FFL that new stocks could be had, but the collector value, which a parkerized Krag wouldn't have anyway, would be destroyed. I got the full purchase price back and kept the rifle! Found a junk Krag with a good stock sans forearm, did some grafting from the PO snafu and repaired a cracked wrist, got a good gun. Got any pics of yours?

smokeywolf
02-23-2015, 11:02 AM
"......Under a starry flag, civil 'em with a Krag"