View Full Version : 25 Stevens... can you make it?

maxreloader
02-12-2015, 11:12 PM
I have looked around on the interwebs and seen a few ingenious ides but not a lot of results... does anybody here know how to make/re-make/form 25 stevens rounds? Any input is greatly appreciated! I have my eye on a nice rifle but won't pull the trigger, literally and figuratively, until I can confirm a solid ammo source. if not I will have to pass unfortunately.

kootne
02-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Scroll down and find the big long thread on reloading .32 rim fires. that thread has several ways to modify the brass. You would use .22 hornet brass instead of .32 long but the concept is to use a primed .22 short case or .22 blank as a primer in a modified case. Finding the right weight and diameter bullet mold may be a issue, as I think groove diameter is odd. I don't have a .25 (yet) but there is an article in June 2010 Single Shot Exchange magazine written by Brian Issacson detailing how he is doing the process. I think copies may still be available from the publisher or you might find one on Amazon. Also, some guns are fairly easily modified to center fire, if you have one of those it save a lot of work on your brass.

skeettx
02-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Hello
What model rifle do you have?

As found below, :)

I was passed along this trick: As it is well nigh impossible to find ammo for .25 Stevens rimfire, the Number 5 Power Load , available at Home Depot(Red Star S-43) can be fired after seating at #2 (.27") buck shot ball in breech. You push in buckshot ball then the #5 power load which seems to be .27" case diameter and fits in my old Stevens Favorite chamber just right. I just shot 10 over a chronograph and got 1270fps AVERAGE with 69Ffps deviation! Seems like about right , has a supersonic crack, which I wish it didn't have, but hey, I can shoot a beautiful old tang sighted gun I haven't shot in 30 years! :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-124180.html&amp&

http://www.homedepot.com/s/ramset?NCNI-5

Green middle
Yellow middle +
Red, hotest

Chev. William
02-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Maxreloader; Thoroughly read the ".32 Long; Need help" Thread it is 23 pages and DOES contain notes on making .25 Stevens Long cases from .22 Hornet parent Brass.
There is also information on PTL Blanks, both the Diameters and the loadings versus Ratings.
IF you make your cases up as Adapters for RF Blanks, try to use .22 Size first. If those do not do what you want, then try the slightly larger .25 Size but I don't think you will be able to make adapters for .25 Stevens that would allow the use of a .27 Size Blank in an adapter, too thin a remaining wall thickness.

Other threads that contain information of use to you are:
"25 stevens rimfire (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?128627-25-stevens-rimfire&highlight=Stevens+Favorite) "
"reloadable .32 rimfire brass (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?147224-reloadable-32-rimfire-brass&highlight=Stevens+Favorite) "
"Stevens Favorite ?? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222864-Stevens-Favorite&highlight=Stevens+Favorite)"
"Stephens Favorite." (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?263136-Stephens-Favorite&highlight=Stevens+Favorite)

Skeetx; Try a Grade 4 or Grade 3 PTL ..27 Caliber Blank across your Chronograph I think one or the other will get you a combination that will yield about 1000fps, which should remove the Supersonic 'Crack' from you shots and still give you accurate shooting.

A number of people have contributed to these Threads, and those on other Forums.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

michaelcj
02-25-2015, 11:43 PM
I'd love to have a nice old Favorite…I believe if a .25rf fell in my lap it would be tempting to look into having the barrel drilled/relined and chambered for .22lr . Not sure what mods would be needed for the hammer/firing pin.

maxreloader
02-25-2015, 11:57 PM
WOW! that's a LOT of great information Chev. THANK YOU! I really do appreciate it. It has re-inspired me to get the ole' girl going once again!

slumlord44
03-02-2015, 02:27 AM
I have used the #3 .27 Caliber Power loads with a couple of different .25 bullets with good success for plinking purposes. Never ran them through a chronograph though.

too many things
03-22-2015, 09:32 PM
the buck shot is really a number 3 ,not a 2 the 3 is special order from skyunlimted [member] but it works very good . with the 27cal hilti load.
the ball will not roll out of barrel and a small piece of toilet paper will keep it at the bore.

soli
03-22-2015, 10:15 PM
I have about 100 rds. PM me if any one wants to buy them.

kopperl
03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I'll take them

kopperl
03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Got my 25 Stevens out today . Used ramset 27 cal blanks and 25 acp jacketed bullits. It does shoot and I think with a little tweeking it might be a pretty easy way to use the old boy.

Soli-did you sell the ammo? I am still interested.

soli
03-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Do you need short or long?

Chev. William
04-10-2015, 09:04 AM
I received a PM requesting I write up my Best Method of making .25 Stevens Cases and after thinking about it, decided to post the results on this Thread as a condensed set of notes:

Tools used;
RCBS "Primer Pocket Swager Tool Kit plus a 3/16 ID Fender Washer.
Piece of .2500" Drill rod with end tapered from about .180" to .2500" over a length of 1/2 inch.
Lee .25ACP Carbide Reloading Die Set, with the Sizing die verified as open from top of Carbide ring to threaded area (one of my sets had an internal 'burr' that extended into the Die Bore and caused deformation of the Mouth of cases).
Shell Holders for both .22 Hornet, AND .25ACP cartridges.
A Strong Reloading Press (RCBS "RC" Type Works).
A "H" Shell holder Adapter (nominally adapts replaceable shell holders to fit a Hollywood Press and I use it to hold a Shell Holder in a Drill Press Vise).
A Half Inch Capacity Drill press (either Bench or Floor model).
"C" clamps.
Machinist's Drill Press Vise with a vertical 'V' groove in one Jaw; a 3" or 4" size is sufficient.
Large Rifle Cleaning Patch saturated with case lubricant.
3/16" or 7/32" diameter by 6" Long Shaft Pin Punch ( with body relieved to fit the Bore of the Lee Sizing Die threaded 'Decapper' end).
Hammer.
Case Trimmer set up for .25 Stevens Cases (a pilot made to fit the formed case Inside Diameters is Required).
#8 Machine Screw Pilot Drill/counterbore.
#2 Twist Drill (ADDED: A Sharp 7/32" Twist Drill is also usable.)
.22LR "Freeland" Match Grade Finish Chamber Reamer (PTG makes them).

Parent Case used:
.22 Hornet unfired Empty cases ( I have my best results with Privy-Partisan, "PPU", cases).

Method:
1. Set up .2500" Drill Rod expander punch in Drill press Chuck, Tighten Hard to hold it against both push and pull forces.
2. Place Vise on Drill Press Table and place "H" adapter in vise so its shank is held in the "V" Groove.
3. Install a .22 Hornet Shell Holder in the "H" adapter.
4. Carefully align the Shell holder Center under the tip of the Expander punch (the tip of the punch may be lightly run into the Primer hole in the Shell Holder to verify position, Clamp vise combination rigidly to the Drill Press Table (you do NOT want the Vise to lift when you extract the expander punch).
5. Place a .22 Hornet case in the Shell Holder.
6. Lower the tip of the Expander punch into the mouth of the case about 1/8 inch then retract it.
7. Rotate the case about 1/8 turn in the Shell holder.
8. Lower the tip of the Expander Punch into the mouth of the case adn additional 1/8 inch over the previous insertion then retract again.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until the Neck and Shoulder have been expanded to .250" inside Diameter.
NOTE: make sure the punch enters the mouth without catching on the mouth as it WILL fold the edge if it does catch on the mouth edge.
10. Remove Expanded Case from Shell Holder and set aside for later further operations.
11. Repeat steps 5 through 10 for each case to be modified.

12. Set up Reloading Press with Lee Carbide .25ACP Sizing Die in place with the Lee Decapping/expanding parts removed.
13. install the Small Primer Pocket Swage Punch on the Press Ram.
14. Place the Stripper Cup over the Swage Punch.
15. Place the 3/16 ID Fender Washer on top of the Stripper Cup and over the Swage Punch.

Note: I found that Shipping Tape wrapped around the Stripper Cup and folded over the edge of the Fender washer will hold the washer in place nicely.

16. Wipe the outside of a Expanded Hornet case with the Saturated Cleaning Patch.
17. Place the Lubed Case on the the tip of the Swage punch.
18. With a Smooth continuous motion force the case into the sizing die until the case rim touches the bottom of the die.
19. Lower the Ram.
20. insert the Pin Punch into the top of the Die and insure its tip enters the case mouth and seats on the inside base of the Case.
21. Strike the pin Punch with the Hammer to drive the Case out of the Die.

NOTE: This will take several strikes with the Hammer.

22. Set the Resized case aside for further operations.
23. Repeat steps 16 through 22 for each case to be sized.

NOTE: There will be a roll of displaced Brass jsut above the Rim on each case processed to this point. This 'roll' needs to be removed before furhter work on the cases can be performed. It is best and easiest to use a lathe to trim the 'roll' off but it can be done in a Drill Press Chuck with a File. I will presume you will find a suitable means of trimming the 'roll' and have completed all the cases formed to this point, and continue with the method steps.

24. Trim Cases to !.125"+/-.002" for Stevens Long replacements.

NOTE: This gives a .25 Stevens Long CF replacement case similar to the ".25-10 Halstead" Except it is suitable for .250" diameter bullets instead of .257" diameter bullets.

NOTE: if you wish to make Adapter Cases to use .22 Rim fire blanks and balls or bullets, then the Following steps will work.

25. Set up Drill Press and vise so as to center a Case held base up in the "V" groove under the Chuck.
26. Insert the #8 Machine Screw combination Drill/Counterbore in the Chuck.
27. Drill the Primer Pocket out and 'kiss' the rim with the counter bore (if wishing to have a 'Tight 22 RF rim rebate) or to a depth of .040" (if wishing a 'loose' 22 RF rim Rebate).
28. Set case aside for further operations.

29. Replace Combination Drill/counterbore in the chuck with the #2 Drill(or 7/32" Drill).
30. Install a pilot drilled case in the Vise.
31. Drill/ream the Base of the cartridge to .221"(#2 Drill size)(or .2185", the 7/32 Drill size).
32. Remove and set aside the drilled base case for further operations.
33. Repeat steps 30 through 32 until all cases are processed.

34. Replace the #2 Drill in the chuck with the .22LR "Freeland" Match Grade Finish Chamber Reamer.
35. Insert a Drilled base case in the Vise.
36. Ream, at SLOW Speed/Hand Turning the Chuck, the Case base to the proper depth (for "Loose Rebate", until reamer 'rebate edge' is just at the counterbore face and For "Tight Rebate", until the reamer 'rebate edge' has cut a .040" deep rebate in the base of the case).
37. Remove the finished Adapter Case from the Vise and set aside for further operations.

38. Remove Reamer from chuck and return it to its protective package.

39. Check all CF cases for internal burrs and reduced size flash hole (use the Decapping Punch to check flash hole diameter).
39A. Check all Adapter cases for Burrs in inside of case base.
40. I recommend tumbling the Completed cases in Crushed Walnut Shell medium to remove the lubricant.

This should give you a good basis for your own conversion process.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

bbiinc1
10-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Got my 25 Stevens out today . Used ramset 27 cal blanks and 25 acp jacketed bullits. It does shoot and I think with a little tweeking it might be a pretty easy way to use the old boy.

Soli-did you sell the ammo? I am still interested.
Hi Might have an additional way for you to use your old .25 stevens with new ammo if you are interested. Thanks Steve

skeettx
10-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Hello Steve (bbiinc1)
Welcome on your FIRST posting
Yes, we are interested
Please expound!!
Mike

ndnchf
10-08-2015, 07:32 PM
I'll just add that I was deeply involved in the earlier reloadable 32 rimfire discussion. With that experience under my belt, I would not hesitate to buy a nice 25 Stevens if the opportunity arose.

40-82 hiker
10-08-2015, 11:55 PM
My dad has a few boxes of .25 Stevens long (Canuck brand, if I spelled it correctly ?, and my memory is working :lol:), and a Favorite he had as a kid. I would love to get it from him, but he's waiting for "that day", and I pray it to be far, far away. He bought several boxes in the mid 60s, but it turned out the firing pin was broken, and he never got it fixed. I'd love to fix the firing pin and shoot one box, and be done with it, unless I made brass for it, or used the cartridges and boolit or round ball as specified in this thread.

I sure have enjoyed this thread, however.

Chev. William
10-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Look on the various Auction sites as Stevens "Favorite" rifles come up Frequently. many will need some Tender Loving care from your self or a Good Gunsmith to be ready to shoot again as they were mostly 'boys Rifles' or 'Kitchen rifles' and not cleaned well if at all between shooting Periods.
Do Not be put off by a 'dirty or Pitted bore' as most still will shoot accurately to "Pot" a Squirrel for dinner. Generally Quick Kills without much Meat damage.

It IS possible to convert RF Stevens to CF or to other RF Calibers if desired. Just Remember the Stevens Favorite is not designed for Modern High Pressure Cartridges, around 27,000psi MAP is about the Reasonable limit for a Good Condition action in .25 Stevens caliber. if in .32 Long, then a lower MAP is indicated.
The Stevens 'model 44' and similar are about 25% larger in size and Sections and can take somewhat higher MAP for .32 Size cases.
The 'model 44-1/2' is a different action and is much Stronger by design. CPA rifles makes modern copies that handle Quite big and Powerful cartridges.

Look around and Get one, I am sure you will enjoy shooting it. It will draw Attention at the Range.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
12-13-2015, 12:59 AM
There is Another 'parent' case that can be reformed to ".25 Stevens (Long)" diameters; that is the 5.7x28mm Case.
It does take three Stages of diameter reduction to get it to .25 Stevens diameters but with proper sized Tools you can achieve 100% yields of Reformed cases, which is better than the Yield from reforming .22 Hornet cases.
A difference is that the 5.7x28 parent has a Roughly .252" diameter Extractor Clearance groove just above the rim, so making Adapters for other than .22 Caliber RF Blanks on Center line is not possible.
A useful thing is tht the Cases are Polymer coated by the Manufacturer and tha tcoating survive sthe original firing and the reforming so adding case lube is not required.

The derived cartridges are described in threads named "6.35x32mmSR . . . " and "6.35x28.6mmSR . . ." on this Forum Web site.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

bird44jpgy
02-07-2021, 02:57 PM
There is Another 'parent' case that can be reformed to ".25 Stevens (Long)" diameters; that is the 5.7x28mm Case.
It does take three Stages of diameter reduction to get it to .25 Stevens diameters but with proper sized Tools you can achieve 100% yields of Reformed cases, which is better than the Yield from reforming .22 Hornet cases.
A difference is that the 5.7x28 parent has a Roughly .252" diameter Extractor Clearance groove just above the rim, so making Adapters for other than .22 Caliber RF Blanks on Center line is not possible.
A useful thing is tht the Cases are Polymer coated by the Manufacturer and tha tcoating survive sthe original firing and the reforming so adding case lube is not required.

The derived cartridges are described in threads named "6.35x32mmSR . . . " and "6.35x28.6mmSR . . ." on this Forum Web site.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Hi everybody! I am a new member here. This is actually my first post ever
I came across this thread and followed the progress since first posted back in 2011
I would like to know if it is too late to add to the thread, my experience is with the 17WSM. There was a few mention of it along the way but no useful follow-up except for Chev’s comments on one post.

uscra112
02-08-2021, 01:55 AM
Would like to know your experience, and compare to mine. I've got the conversion well worked out now, including a way to anneal the case mouths without setting the primer off.

bird44jpgy
02-08-2021, 02:28 AM
usra112 I am certainly interested in your 17WSM conversion of live primed brass to 25 RF and your experience in shooting it in those old guns.

Stay Safe,
bird44jpgy

wch
02-08-2021, 03:32 AM
I've seen some beautiful rifles in some of the Stevens rimfires but I think you'd be better off spending your money and your time on another project.

uscra112
02-08-2021, 04:50 AM
The difficulty of the task only adds to the pleasure of success! And creating a utility rifle isn't the point. If that were all there were to it, we'd all be shooting modern factory ammo through modern factory guns. Bo-o-o-o-ring! Besides, at my age I've already done most of those other projects anyway.

uscra112
02-08-2021, 07:50 AM
usra112 I am certainly interested in your 17WSM conversion of live primed brass to 25 RF and your experience in shooting it in those old guns.

Stay Safe,
bird44jpgy

Not the first to ask......I've got an extensive writeup on it all. Much too long for a post. P/M me with a regular email addy and I'll send it to you.