PDA

View Full Version : jerky

carpetman
03-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Those of you that have not tried jerky using a jerky gun and ground meat,I suggest you give it a try. To me it is easier and makes better jerky. It also takes less dehydrating time. I have been using the jerky mix by Nesco--sold at Walmart. It comes in two packages. One is salt and other spices. They recommend one package each to pound of meat. I like salty foods---but to me that is too salty. I cut back to 3-4 packs of salt for 6 pounds of meat. The jerky guns come in two sizes. I think the larger(about size of caulking gun)is best.

waksupi
03-24-2005, 12:05 AM
"Hey Ray, Thanks for all the recipes, especially the beans. Your culinary talents are really coming to the surface, since Martha got out of the slammer. Do you suppose she was REALLY caught with a bra full of stolen spices from the kitchen? I know that you have previously been caught in that predicament, and I'm sure it must have been embarrassing.

Welcome aboard.

carpetman
03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Waksupi--Thanks for the welcome. I noticed your beaded costume seems to be well preserved with lanolin. Is that a natural occurence when you wear it?

wills
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
"Hey Ray, Thanks for all the recipes, especially the beans. Your culinary talents are really coming to the surface, since Martha got out of the slammer. Do you suppose she was REALLY caught with a bra full of stolen spices from the kitchen? I know that you have previously been caught in that predicament, and I'm sure it must have been embarrassing.

Welcome aboard.

It probably wasn’t spices C’man was smuggling. If you recall from Shooters he was lending his assistance to the members of the women’s board in the development and testing of the Bra Gun.

carpetman
03-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Wills--I dont think it was a bra gun I was helping with. I think it was a bra holster. Don't remember but I had a hand in it.

waksupi
03-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Ray, can't be lanolin. We can't get any sheep up hee. Texas has the market cornered, in a nefarious cartel plot.

carpetman
03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Waksupi---Cant get any sheep up here(Montana). You misread the report. The report said while sheep are abundant in Montana there is no virgin wool produced there.

wills
03-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Ray, can't be lanolin. We can't get any sheep up hee. Texas has the market cornered, in a nefarious cartel plot.

You are too modest.

“Montana ranks seventh in the nation for sheep numbers. In Montana sheep are raised primarily east of the Rocky Mountains. In 1999, sheep producers in the state raised 370,000 animals, which is about two people per sheep.”

http://montanakids.com/db_engine/presentations/presentation.asp?pid=8&sub=Sheep

waksupi
03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I plead innoicence. I live WEST of the divide.

Logan
04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Never made jerky in a dehydrator, generally in my Brinkman smoker (heavily modified).

StarMetal
04-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Ray

I agree the only way to make jerky is to grind up the meat and use a gun to put the strips on the machine. Actually I use my wife's cookie shooter, works great. One thing I like about this method is that I can cut out all the fat and tendon strings have a good chewable good tasting jerky.

Joe

Scrounger
04-06-2005, 10:31 PM
What the heck...

Scrounger
04-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Those of you that have not tried jerky using a jerky gun and ground meat,I suggest you give it a try. To me it is easier and makes better jerky. It also takes less dehydrating time. I have been using the jerky mix by Nesco--sold at Walmart. It comes in two packages. One is salt and other spices. They recommend one package each to pound of meat. I like salty foods---but to me that is too salty. I cut back to 3-4 packs of salt for 6 pounds of ground cat. The jerky guns come in two sizes. I think the larger(about size of caulking gun)is best.

I don't think I could eat that.