PDA

View Full Version : Scop Collimating w/Muzzle Brake

HABCAN
02-12-2015, 05:47 PM
I thought this might be of use.

The Bushnell collimator's spuds are not long enough to penetrate and secure in a barrel beyond a muzzle brake or other device. What I did to overcome this (I was having a real b**** ** a time adjusting variable scope bases and then following a crosshair around a misaligned L/E barrel/action and wasting a LOT of ammo) was to insert my long .30 cal. cleaning rod with no brush from the breech end and snug the handle up to the action. Then, I fit the collimator onto the cleaning rod and slid it up tight to the muzzle. Unable to cinch it tight enough to get a proper reading, I inverted the whole. Gravity took over, the colimator hung vertically and I was able to make valid scope turret adjustments which proved out on subsequent firing tests.
HABCAN.

GrayTech
03-08-2015, 12:15 AM
That trick could come in handy. Thanks. There's always a way...

Ballistics in Scotland
03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
It sounds like a place for a cartridge-shaped boresighting laser. You can buy them from China for $4.74 on eBay, even in .303. I have a couple in 12ga, and it is fascinating to see how the barrels would crossfire if everything but the shot was static.

DCM
03-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Great tip for collimator's.

Artful
03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
It sounds like a place for a cartridge-shaped boresighting laser. You can buy them from China for $4.74 on eBay, even in .303. I have a couple in 12ga, and it is fascinating to see how the barrels would crossfire if everything but the shot was static.

I didn't find $4.74 but I did find some for 9.99 w/ free shipping - thanks for the tip

Ballistics in Scotland
03-08-2015, 11:13 PM
If that is a .303 LE, it would come in for all the usual problems of loose chambers. But thin tape around the neck of the device, or on the base to force it into the conical surface, ought to make it accurate.