PDA

View Full Version : Browning BPCR

Boz330
02-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Browning Hiwall. A young guy that has gotten the bug found a walk out on a Browning 45-70 along with just about everything to get started. I have never handled one but he would like my opinion.
The rifle has sights although I'm not sure what brand.
The rifle comes with a Crosno 22 adapter, Postel mold 450 rounds of brass, sizer and much, much more for $2300.

Bob

Gunlaker
02-12-2015, 05:07 PM
They are accurate rifles. Mine is not very picky about what it shoots. It's very close to as accurate as my Shiloh in .45-70 which is quite a complement IMO. Mine has the unmodified factory trigger so is hard to shoot offhand. I use mine for prone practice.

I've shot three different bullets through mine, the .459" BACO Money (no tapered or reduced bands), Saeco #740, and a custom .460" Brooks Creedmoor with two reduced bands. Most of my shooting was with 68 or 69 gr of Goex Express FFg, but have recently been using Goex Express FFFg with the Brooks bullet and it looks good. All of my loads are using slip fit bullets with around a quarter inch of compression if I remember correctly.

The only thing I found was that the chamber is a fair bit longer than 2.105" so I use cut down .45-90 Starline brass which works well.

Chris.

Don McDowell
02-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I have the Browning and the Winchester stamped versions of that rifle, they both are equally fine rifles. Both are capable of taking a shooter to the top if the shooter is able to keep up with the rifle..
That deal of which you speak is a really good deal , and if someone were just wanting to get started in one fellswoop that is surely the place to do it.

Kenny Wasserburger
02-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Very good quality, and if I wasn't so tied to the Shiloh Sharps it would be my next choice in a rifle, the 90 version wins, a lot in Creedmoor competition.
KW

gmsharps
02-13-2015, 01:05 AM
I have the Browning in 40-65 and it shoots like a dream. The original sights work fine also. Not quite as good as some of the really expensive ones but will keep you in the competition if you do your part. I would not wait to long for that package it will be gone soon.

gmsharps

Boz330
02-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys! This kid did really well in his first match with a borrowed rifle and not that good of sights. Of course he has the one big advantage that us old guys need, YOUNG eyes. I forwarded this on to him.

Bob

kokomokid
02-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Only thing these guns need is a little trigger work and if it has been shot in competition that may be already done. Check on Lee Shaver or the Magee fix.

Chill Wills
02-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys! This kid did really well in his first match with a borrowed rifle and not that good of sights. Of course he has the one big advantage that us old guys need, YOUNG eyes. I forwarded this on to him.

Bob
Young eyes! That is true.
We are a mostly older bunch that shoots these rifles. The young guys want rat-a-tat-tat guns.

Lucky for us too. If a few hundred "twenty something's" showed at the BPCR nationals one year, all the hard holding award winners of years past would just be competing for the senior award only. [smilie=s:

BTW - the Browning BPCR rifles are very good. right out of the box....

detox
02-13-2015, 06:04 PM
The BPCR barrels were made by Badger and are handlapped with slight choke in last 6"-8" of barrel before muzzle. The RCBS 500gr bullet shoots really well in my 45/70 BPCR

Boz330
02-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Young eyes! That is true.
We are a mostly older bunch that shoots these rifles. The young guys want rat-a-tat-tat guns.

Lucky for us too. If a few hundred "twenty something's" showed at the BPCR nationals one year, all the hard holding award winners of years past would just be competing for the senior award only. [smilie=s:

BTW - the Browning BPCR rifles are very good. right out of the box....

This kid (he is 30) has a couple Ratatat rifles and hand guns as well. I took him under my wing and got him a part time job when he started flying. I let him shoot down at the farm. He likes anything that goes bang but kinda got hooked when I let him shoot some of my stuff. Personally I did the high speed stuff back in the 80s & early 90s. I always wanted a Hiwall and started playing with BPCR a little after getting one. Got serious in 2004 but not like you guys out west. The only person i try to beat is me. Got way to serious about IPSC shooting when I started to win a little and it shortly began not to be fun anymore. I was shooting in excess of 20,000 rounds a year at my peak. A shame since I could still see good then.

Bob

Doc Highwall
02-14-2015, 11:54 AM
I have 5 of the BPCR, 2 in 40-65, 1 in 45-70 and 2 in 45-90 just wished they was matches around here to put them to more use.

Don McDowell
02-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Doc, they are doing some midrange matches in New Jersey.

Gunlaker
02-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Chill it's funny that you say that. I'm 48 and am accused of having young eyes ( although I wear some serious corrective lenses ). I remember reading one of the old books and the author described a fellow as a "well preserved gentleman of 45". That'll make you feel old. :-)Chris.

bigted
02-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Chill it's funny that you say that. I'm 48 and am accused of having young eyes ( although I wear some serious corrective lenses ). I remember reading one of the old books and the author described a fellow as a "well preserved gentleman of 45". That'll make you feel old. :-)Chris.

LOL ... [smilie=s: ... this in an era when 45 was an old mans age. most lived and died at an early age and if out on the back of a horse ... mainly 35 was a time to get settled in for the end.

rocky mountain trappers rarely lived to 40 years of age.