PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca 37 barrel

phonejack
02-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I've inherited an older Ithaca 37 with matching serial numbers on the receiver and barrel. Problem is --- its a 30" full choke. I would use it if it had a shorter barrel. Would my best choice be to have a gunsmith shorten the barrel and thread it for choke inserts ? Thanks

ascast
02-12-2015, 11:13 AM
I suggest you look around and find a different barrel. Those are common 'nuff. What gauge?

phonejack
02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
It's a 12 gauge. The serial "start" date range for replacement barrels is 850,000. Mine is 403xxx. I could send it to Ithaca and they would rethread the receiver for a modern barrel which includes rebluing but I want to keep the finish original.

scattershot
02-12-2015, 11:52 AM
If you decide to go with a new barrel, I have read that there are two different barrel attachment systems, and they are not interchangeable.

GBertolet
02-12-2015, 12:11 PM
I would get the barrel cut, and set up for the choke tubes. I did it to my 37. Big difference. I think mine only cost about $100, including the 3 tubes. My 37 was done using Truechoke thinwall tube size. Over the years I have had several different shotguns done, including a double, with the thinwall tubes. This way I can utilize the same tubes for all my shotguns, without having to buy a complete set for each.

pietro
02-12-2015, 09:19 PM

Get it cut/threaded for tubes.

The earlier guns, with barrels serialized to their receivers, will not interchange with any other barrel - unless an Ithaca gunsmith (who knows what he's about) fits the new/extra barrel to the receiver.

wv109323
02-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Doing that will certainly lower the value but if you inherited it and want to use it, chokes are the way to go. It is better to have the shotgun afield and remember the person kind enough to give it to you, than to keep it in the safe.
Make sure the barrel is thick enough to be threaded for chokes before you have it cut off. My pre 855,00 barrel is pretty thin.

phonejack
02-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Getting it cut and choke tubes threaded sounds like the way to go. It will also keep the original appearance intact. Thanks,guys

trapper9260
02-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Getting it cut and choke tubes threaded sounds like the way to go. It will also keep the original appearance intact. Thanks,guys

I have one that you can not barrel for it because of the same reason it can not fit the new type and when my dad had it he blown the end off and the barrel was alittle short and I have a gun smith look he told me that it be just about harder to try to find one then to just put the choke on it.He did and now it is good to go and he also put a front sight on it also.i was use of shooting it with out one but since he had the gun to just do it.He also had a choke that you can put on the same as the others that you can use for slugs also.I got that one also if I need it later on.

richhodg66
02-13-2015, 07:55 AM
855,000 is the magic number, below that, they don't interchange, but I have been told fitting them between guns isn't that hard and there are gunsmiths out there who can easily do it, you might want to ask around.

The barrels seem thin on them, never considered having one of mine threaded for choke tubes but if it can be done, go for it.

groovy mike
02-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Do not cut it! There are replacement barrels easily available in whatever length and choke you want. Don't destroy the original!

If you are not familiar with teh Model 37 be aware it will fire every time you pump it if the trigger is back. Keep your finger OFF the trigger when cycling or you will put a hole in your ceiling!

GBertolet
02-13-2015, 12:07 PM
If you deceide to go the choke tube route, use truechoke thinwall. They will work on very thin barrel walls.

KCSO
02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Cut crown threa and three chokes Thin wall tru choke. If the barrel is straight and has enough wall thickness. It needs to be measured and checked first.

$100.00

richhodg66
02-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Do not cut it! There are replacement barrels easily available in whatever length and choke you want. Don't destroy the original!

If you are not familiar with teh Model 37 be aware it will fire every time you pump it if the trigger is back. Keep your finger OFF the trigger when cycling or you will put a hole in your ceiling!

There are enough of them out there that I don't think you'd be ruining a valuable collectors item if it's a standard model of some sort, but generally, I agree and I would look for a barrel in a configuration I liked used and see what it would take to have a smith fit it.

Interesting information here;

http://www.ithacaowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1197

Ithaca 37s do slam fire if you work the slide with the trigger pulled back. I used to do this as a kid for fun with one I still have, but I have a hard time seeing how you would do it by accident. I think Model 12 Winchesters will as well and probably some others too.

I like Ithaca 37s and have several though I'm not an avid shotgunner by any means. You might want to try hunting and shooting with the current barrel before you do anything and see how you like it.

Mk42gunner
02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Not sure about the Winchester Model 12, but every pump gun I have fired that was designed by John Browning had no disconnector. I guess he figured the shooter would be smart enough to take his finger off the trigger while pumping.

Sure is fun to empty a .22 that way though.

Robert

rking22
02-13-2015, 06:52 PM
oddly enough , the Remington M17, the gun that the M37 is "patterned after" does have a disconnector. My 37 would slam fire , M12 Winchesters will slam fire up to a certain data (I can't remember), My M17 will not and it was made in 1921. It is an actual disconnector mounted into the trigger group, designed that way wny JMB. Have no idea why Ithaca did not copy this aspect as well????
Oh ,on topic, I would shoot it a while as is and see if you really want to change it. I have a barrel from he 1930s that fits my M17 just fine, if you can fine someone with some M37 barrels of the correct form. Take your gun an "try fit" the barrels till you get a good fit. Then you can have that one screw choked if you want and still have the original. I have returned to "my roots" and pretty much shoot a fixed Mod at most everything.

Mk42gunner
02-14-2015, 12:36 AM
oddly enough , the Remington M17, the gun that the M37 is "patterned after" does have a disconnector.

Huh, learn something new everyday. I had one of the Savage pumps (Model 520 or 620) that didn't, no idea when it was actually designed though. One thing I learned with it is that a pump action twelve gauge with a 32" barrel is a looong gun.

Robert

richhodg66
02-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Huh, learn something new everyday. I had one of the Savage pumps (Model 520 or 620) that didn't, no idea when it was actually designed though. One thing I learned with it is that a pump action twelve gauge with a 32" barrel is a looong gun.

Robert

Occasionally you run across one of the Remingtons, funny, I saw one in a shop not long ago, next to an Ithaca of the same gauge and configuration, the two could have been twins. They wanted $100 or so more for the Remington, I guess since it's kind of rarer, though I've never heard of them being especially collectable.

I wonder how Remington felt selling the patent to Ithaca of what they felt was an unsuccessful seller and having Ithaca turn around and make it one of the best shotguns and sellers of all time?

Mk42gunner
02-14-2015, 06:01 PM
I don't think they sold the patent; it was my understanding that Ithaca waited until the patents expired, then started production. I could be wrong on that, it has been several years since I read about it.

Drifting back to the original topic, I think I would make some spreader loads instead of altering the gun.

Robert

rking22
02-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Yep, Ithaca waited for patent to expire, built a gun then found that there was another patent that was still in effect. Peterson,I think, but don't trust my memory. They had to sit on the gun several more years before release. the nice thing about the Remington 17 is that it is a 20 ga size reciever. The M37 was up sized somewhat. I personally like the Rem 17 better than a M37 in 20ga. Now, I am looking for a nice early 16ga M37 :)

richhodg66
02-19-2015, 10:44 PM
I have both a 16 and a 20 Ithaca. The 16 I can't tell is any different sized from 12 gauge guns, but the 20 is definitely on a much smaller receiver.

rking22
02-19-2015, 11:08 PM
What vintage is our 16? I have not been able to get hands on an older 16 but am told they were smaller than the 12 ga. My 20ga M37 was more trim than the 12ga but the Rem 17 is even more so. oo many guns , not enough money to try them all !

W.R.Buchanan
02-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Here's some little known info on your gun. John Browning designed the original to be a duck gun. It ejects spent rounds strait down into the boat. I just found this out recently from a guy who know shotguns pretty well.

Also if you must do internal chokes on your gun do yourself a favor and send it to Briley. They do hundreds of guns every month and are considered in the shot gun world to be the best and surprisingly the most reasonable as well. http://www.briley.com/ Briley chokes are considered the best.

Also as far as keeping the original finish on your gun for value reasons I have to disagree. Maintaining a finish on a gun is part of maintenance , and it doesn't detract from the value of the gun unless the gun has some significant historical value and even then sometimes it doesn't matter. You wouldn't refinish a Colt Revolver that was owned by US Grant! But it is not a problem refinishing a common shotgun owned by your dad.

In the case of High End British Shotguns and Rifles made by the top makers in the world it is not uncommon for these guns to be returned to the maker for refurbishing to original or upgraded condition as needed. It doesn't detract from the value one iota! In fact diminished condition does detract from the value and anything less than virtually new condition is considered a major negative.

I just had my 1940 Ithaca M37 refurbished by Ithaca last year. It cost about $300 to do it which included complete disassembly and rebluing and/or replacement of all defective parts including my 6 Cutts Compensator Choke Tubes. I also redid the wood to English style with wood I purchased in 1976 but never finished.

I now have a brand new Ithaca Model 37 that was made in 1940! The gun is absolutely beautiful!

it's value is about $1500 right now as it is perfect. It is also nice and broken in, and runs so smooth it is pathetic.

Randy

ksfowler166
02-22-2015, 11:47 PM
I have a 1953 16ga M37 with a 28" full barrel. What I did was to reload for the gauge. That way I could make loads not commercially available in the 16ga ie #9 loads for skeet as well as the immediate problem of the tight choke with spreader loads. Took the full barrel down to I.C. maybe more open.

Ithaca Gunner
02-23-2015, 01:45 AM
Why not do a classic Poly Choke with the original barrel. It'll look right for the period and give you what you want.

justashooter
02-24-2015, 01:34 PM
the nice thing about the Remington 17 is that it is a 20 ga size reciever. The M37 was up sized somewhat.

same deal with early winchester model 12 in 16 gauge on the 20 gauge receiver. many had factory 26" barrels, making a very handy gun with near full power loads.

waksupi
02-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Somewhere around here, I have a barrel for a M37 I would part with. I would have to dig it out to tell you what it is. If any one is interested, PM me, and I will check to see what it is when I get back home. I know it is a 12 gauge.

rking22
02-24-2015, 05:44 PM
same deal with early winchester model 12 in 16 gauge on the 20 gauge receiver. many had factory 26" barrels, making a very handy gun with near full power loads.
So true, I have a first year 16ga M12, very sweel little hunting gun. It's a 26 mod and still chambered for the 2 9/16 loads. It shoots Rem gun club OK, but I still trim them back before reloading. Anything else, factory 2 3/4, will not clear the ejection port, makes it a really slow single shot :)

Waksupi, better watch having extra barrels around, that's how I wound up with the M17. Had a nice barrel I figured I neededd a gun to go with it !