PDA

View Full Version : If you are going to have Shoulder Surgery . . .

archmaker
02-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Be sure to get a lot of casting in early! I am nearly out of boolits as I was down longer than planned and still having problems.

Can't do the marathon sessions I used to do where I spend all 1/2 a day (cast a while, fill pot, wait to melt again - rest, and start again).

I had a torn Labrum, and it knocked me out for almost 5 months.

jim 44-40
02-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Know what you mean,had elbow surgery and got behind on things. take your time healing.

Bohica793
02-12-2015, 11:18 AM
I had a torn labrum, bone spurs removed and bicep tendon relocated. I was down less than 3 weeks thanks to one hell of a doctor and physical therapist.

dakotashooter2
02-12-2015, 12:19 PM
I would think casting would make for good PT................

ballistim
02-12-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm in a sling for a month after rotator cuff surgery, reattached a bicep tendon, removed two bone spurs, etc. Yesterday I put on some gas checks using my Lyman 4500 with my left hand, will lube those same boolits today or tomorrow. I've made a commitment to do as much with my left hand as possible to be ready to shoot again when I'm able to. I'd like to hear from any others who've had rotator cuff surgery how long it was before they were able to shoulder a rifle and withstand recoil.

sparky45
02-12-2015, 12:39 PM
I had identical surgery except the rotator cuff tear was so large it took 6 screws into the head of the Humerus to be able to close the defect. I changed a utility Tractor's front tire that was blown out during my 4th week of recovery. I was instructed NOT to do anything physical with the shoulder, but I had an excellent Surgeon and Physical Therapist and they got me going fast after surgery. I was back to work full time on week 5.

I had a torn labrum, bone spurs removed and bicep tendon relocated. I was down less than 3 weeks thanks to one hell of a doctor and physical therapist.

chsparkman
02-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I had shoulder pain for years from playing football in high school. On a suggestion from a PE teacher, I recently changed my weightlifting routine. For every exercise, I start with a light weight and lift it as many times as possible, to exhaustion. This means an average of 50 times. The next two sets can be progressively heavier, but still lift as many times as you can.

I don't know the science behind it, but it has really worked for me.

Of course, if your pain is recent and severe, you should see your doctor before trying this.

altheating
02-12-2015, 07:39 PM
We as you know I just had full rotator cuff surgery last Tues. Dr and Therapest said absolutely no lifting and no use of the right arm unless it is supported by the left hand. The rest of the time it's in a sling for four weeks. Therapy hurts like hell!

doc1876
02-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Good luck to all, and LISTEN to your therapist. Had full surgery in 1983, and I followed their directions. I still have some pain at times, but it works.

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2015, 09:54 PM
I`ve had 4 hospital stays since late Oct. `14. The first was a severe DVT in my left leg. The 2nd stay was XMas time for left lung Pneumonia with an accompaning heart attack. The 3rd was a week after XMas for a heart Cath procedure. The last was a month ago today for an Angioplasty procedure and putting Stents in at the heart. Dr. said to "Veg Out" for the Winter and do NOTHING! I learned why he said that after I was out on my tractor plowing snow Sunday and got the tractor stuck in a 5` deep drift. Had to drop a Nitro tab to get back to the house. BOY! did I get a lecture from both the Frau and my Dr. today! Something to the tune of "Do we have to break BOTH your legs to keep you off the tractor"?Robert

JWFilips
02-12-2015, 10:24 PM
We as you know I just had full rotator cuff surgery last Tues. Dr and Therapest said absolutely no lifting and no use of the right arm unless it is supported by the left hand. The rest of the time it's in a sling for four weeks. Therapy hurts like hell!

Fritz: Hope you are doing well!...If you find yourself unable to use all those .246" boolits ( like you sent me ) ...well I will be glad to take them off your hands!:bigsmyl2: They shoot sweet!!! Thank You for all your help!!!
Jim

kfarm
02-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Had my left shoulder done in 2008, did all my own rehab with the door hanger stretcher thing and pushups, only wore the sling for a couple of days cause it kept getting in the way. Driving wasn't to bad but climbing up into a tractor was tough. If I remember it took me 4 weeks to be able to do most light things. The harder stuff took longer. My rotator cuff was torn to the point I could not raise my arm to open a door and I put off surgery till winter so the hardest work was done. Now a couple a weeks ago while getting a 2.5 gal container of DEF off the top shelf at tractor supply. I pulled it moved and I went over and hit the floor ( I'll ask for help next time). I think I tore the right shoulder this time. It hurts and processing 1000 308 cases hasn't helped. Got an appointment next week. If rotater cuff is torn get it fixed, it's not going to get better on its own I tried that. As for rehab, if you do not have the drive to work it and stay with it go, to physical therapy but I did what the doc said and passed on PT. I did go to PT with a hand surgery and enjoyed the cute therapist holding and massaging my hand.

I feel your pain, man do I feel it hurts just to hold this tablet typing.

MaryB
02-13-2015, 12:38 AM
Right should done Christmas 2006, was back to using it in 6 weeks. Exactly 1 year later the tendon tore completely. Doc reattached the tendon with a bunch of screws and removed to much bone so now that shoulder is unstable and pops out. Now that shoulder hurts most of the time too. I still shoot but tend to look for lower recoil rifles if I can.