PDA

View Full Version : Annealing rifle cases(in bulk)

just bill
02-12-2015, 07:56 AM
I've read the sticky and searched the threads, Iam about to anneal about 4 k 308/30-06 cases to Cut for jwords. One at a time with a torch seems a little intense. Grumpa's cast iron pot seems to be the best idea, is it best to try to keep the bases on the bottom of the pot or just fill the pot and fire it up? I ask only because of the thicker military brass.
Bill

BT Sniper
02-12-2015, 12:31 PM
That's a lot of brass! I haven't looked into Grumpa's cast iron pot technique lately but when I tried a cast iron pot I didn't have that much luck.

for that much brass and the thick brass too I would try to find a used Kiln for cheap or cook them in a hot wood burning stove or maybe a fire out side? Watch them close, when they glow your done.

BT

tiger762
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
If I may offer a suggestion? Cut the brass first, then anneal. This has two benefits: Cutting hardened brass will cut cleaner and won't gall the blade. Also, annealing smaller pieces of brass will fit more of them into whatever you're using to anneal :D

I've read the sticky and searched the threads, Iam about to anneal about 4 k 308/30-06 cases to Cut for jwords. One at a time with a torch seems a little intense. Grumpa's cast iron pot seems to be the best idea, is it best to try to keep the bases on the bottom of the pot or just fill the pot and fire it up? I ask only because of the thicker military brass.
Bill

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Yes!!! Cut brass first!!! Good tip. I figured this out when I annealed a bunch of 45acp cases and decided I needed them a bit shorter LOL. Granted you are dealing with a thicker case wall, but I prefer to trim before annealing.

just bill
02-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Good answers. Thanks,
Bill

xman777
02-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Best bet is finding an old kiln on craigs list. This has really helped me with bulk processing.

d garfield
02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
I was always told not to anneal the whole case, it makes the head to soft.??????????????????

R.Ph. 380
02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
I was always told not to anneal the whole case, it makes the head to soft.??????????????????

They're annealing the whole case to draw, swage, or point up making bullets from old brass. Not to load the brass.

Bill

xman777
02-12-2015, 03:49 PM
This is for swaging, not shooting. NEVER anneal the whole case for reloading unless you want to rapidly field strip your rifle.

tiger762
02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Maybe use a propane turkey fryer with a 12-qt stock pot. Filled slap full of brass with a Lyman lead thermometer in the middle of the pile of brass. That would be the last to come up to temperature. Start the timer once the center of mass is at anneal temperature. I suppose it depends on how much brass you're working with.