PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best Distributor to order Black powder from in case lots?

koger
02-12-2015, 01:14 AM
We are needing to order some for our local club, been a while, where do you guys order from.
Also, a few years back I got 2 cases of /Dragon 2FFg and 3FFg, Reenactor powder, for shooting blank loads at Civil War reenactment. I found that if you poured out several cans, mixed well of the same granulation, it shot just as good as my Goex of the same granulation, might have been more dirty. Some cans would have fines or dust in the bottom, hence the reason for pouring out and mixing. I actually put some in Goex Cans, and used them in my shooting box at local and state matches, to stop folks from telling me how junky the Lidu was. I medaled several times at Friendship, and won first place in the Bluegrass State Games, Percussion class shooting this powder, imagine what I could have done with good powder.LOL! Anyone have similar experiences, chime in. All info also appreciated!

DIRT Farmer
02-12-2015, 01:34 AM
If you are going to Friendship just pick yur powder at the magazine. Your choice of five brands and no hazmat shiping.

Themoose
02-12-2015, 07:13 AM
DirtFarmer is right, but I think you have to be a registered shooter or at least a member of the NMLRA... I used to live six miles from the range miss Friendship...moved to PA to be closer to kids and grandkids...

koehlerrk
02-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Well, some friends and I just went in and split a case from PowderInc. The price with shipping and hazmat was $16 and change per pound which is $6-8 cheaper than we could buy it locally. We made a 25lb order... about half Goex and half Schutzen. Biggest obstacle for us was that you need an adult there to sign for the box... one of us arranged for his dad (who's retired) to stop in at his house for a day and wait for the UPS truck. Worked so well, we may have to repeat this next year.

BruceB
02-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Another good one is

www.mainepowderhouse.com (http://www.mainepowderhouse.com)

and I believe their shipping policy is very attractive..... FREE SHIPPING AND HAZMAT ON 25 POUNDS OF POWDER.

newrib
02-12-2015, 03:16 PM
I have made a order with Powder Inc. for musket caps and some powder a few days ago and after the delay of snail mailing the release form, the order is on its way. Very Good service and some real nice folks to do business with. I will order from them again, you my want to also.

fouronesix
02-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Unless you can drive inexpensively to a distributor, just have it shipped to your door. I've used both Graf and Powder Inc. Both have provided fine service and competitive prices.

bob208
02-12-2015, 04:57 PM
well I am lucky there is a goex distributor about 20 mi. from my house. he sells it in 25lb kegs. which makes it cheaper then buying it in cans.

Muddydogs
02-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Is one black powder brand better then the other?

hc18flyer
02-12-2015, 08:55 PM
The August 2014 issue compared 'Olde Eynsford' with Swiss and Goex in .45 colt, 45-70, 12 ga, and .50. They found it to give higher, more consistent velocities. I picked up several pounds at Graf and Sons on a trip thru MO this Fall. They also have other brands, including a 'store brand', but I don't have any experience with it. Only made it to Friendship once. WHAT A TRIP TO SHOOT MY SMOOTHY THERE!!! ALMOST WET MYSELF!! Need to make another pilgrimage!
Flyer

hc18flyer
02-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Sorry, August issue of Handloader mag. OOPS

Maven
02-13-2015, 02:32 AM
Try this guy for excellent selection, prices, and service: http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com