PDA

View Full Version : Holes in my Red Dot keg

dolang1
02-11-2015, 01:04 AM
I was loading some 45s and dropped a primer. I couldn't find it because my floor was a mess so I decided to sweep. I bumped the Red Dot keg and noticed powder on the floor. When I moved it, I noticed 3 holes in the can. They were in the corners. How could this happen? That can has been under my bench for several years. I've got 4lbs of powder stored in two coffee cans for now. Do you see any problem with patching the can?. Any thoughts?

rockshooter
02-11-2015, 01:42 AM
duct tape. Red Green

Tatume
02-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Since the can is now empty, use a flashlight to look inside for rust. Also smell and visually inspect the powder. As suggested, tape the can and return the powder to its original container.

twc1964
02-12-2015, 02:23 PM
If its in a garage or outbuilding, maybe mice or a really hungry rat. Those critters will chew on just about anything. If its in the house, no clue here.

freebullet
02-12-2015, 03:18 PM
On another thread they were recommending zip lock bags for powder storage.

jeepyj
02-12-2015, 03:31 PM
On another thread they were recommending zip lock bags for powder storage.
:)^^^^^To much^^^^^:)
I agree with the mice theory.
Probably one banging mouse
Jeepyj

Springfield
02-12-2015, 07:38 PM
If it is possible for a mouse to eat through a metal can I sure wouldn't want to put the powder in a plastic bag.

mold maker
02-12-2015, 08:26 PM
My powder cans are safe, but the squirrels ate both posts off a spare battery. There were lead shards all around the battery, like they were just practicing. Battery cost $142. to replace.

leeggen
02-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Mold Maker now you make me wonder if AutoZone warrenty covers mice chewing on the battery? Huh met they would call the manager to asnwer that question. Have seen rats chew thru fencing/hardware cloth and steel wool, so why not a powder can. Now do you dare allow that rat to be shot and would he explode? LOL JB weld the holes and put powder back in.
CD

dolang1
02-17-2015, 11:36 PM
My powder is in the garage and I found some mouse poop on the floor so it must have been a mouse. I used melted weed eater string and plastic tooth picks to patch my Red Dot can. It looks like hell but I used your advice and checked it in a dark garage with a flashlight in it. No leaks. I never thought a mouse would chew a powder can. Back in business,thanks.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-22-2015, 01:32 PM
I've had mice chew through plastic powder containers, but interestingly enough - not the older cardboard ones.

number7tn
02-27-2015, 01:36 PM
im just wondering about that primer, if you never found it what if the mouse ate it with the powder?? lol , reminds me of the andy griffith show where they had that loaded goat that ate dynomite.