PDA

View Full Version : Pacific 366 value?

mattw
02-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I have an chance to pick a complete one of these up... I have been loading metallic for 20+ years, but have never loaded a shot shell. Can someone tell me what a good condition complete unit is worth?

Thanks Matt

MaryB
02-10-2015, 09:23 PM
I picked up a spare one for $75 and it came with 2 pounds red dot, 50 pounds of #5 shot. I restored it and resold it, was to good to use as parts. Sold for $125 after I added a powder and shot shut off and a new advance pawl.

fryboy
02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
same as the hornady 366 which is still in production , actual value varies according to condition let's just say that the new ones arent cheap , accessories also figure into the price or lack of , miss mary found a smokin' deal !!!!

Skunk1
02-11-2015, 05:42 PM
They range between $300 and $400. I sold one years ago for $350. I picked it up with a 155 and a car load of stuff for $50. That was a fluke though. Still have the 155 but don't use it, I use a Bair 600 that is about the same press. I think a good deal would be under $250 range depending on if anything comes with it.

seagiant
02-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Hi,
Yes, I've had a few and they are the same pretty much as the Hornady,except no bells and whistles! Auto Advance,powder/shot cut off.
I never really warmed up to the 366 even though I've had a few to play with.

I would not pay more than $100 for one but the new Hornady is close (or is?) to $400!

However I did find a DL/Pacific-300 that I love and is one of my favorite loaders,built like a tank and all manual including the priming and is a joy to use!

too many things
02-11-2015, 05:58 PM
save your money and get a MEC

376Steyr
02-11-2015, 06:16 PM
$100 would be a good deal. I wouldn't pay $200 for one unless it is in pristine condition. Be advised that dedicated shotgun shooters can actually wear out a press. Good news is these don't have any plastic gears or the like in them.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-11-2015, 10:40 PM
My son was given one that had been used enough to wear the red paint off. It was an early Hornady and was exactly like the late Pacifics. A very well made press. I cleaned it up, replaced any missing parts, got it running smoothly. But my son, who is a big shotgunner, never showed a lot of interest in reloading. He prefers to use the cheap case load shot shells he gets when his Gun Club orders by the pallet load. So I sold it and all the parts for $350.00 a couple years ago.

Note: even with all the use it had, it was in great shape except for a few rust spots on the blued steel and worn paint. I was doing a lot of bluing at the time, so I just pulled it down and reblued the steel parts.

Seagiant,

That's a very nice press you have there.

seagiant
02-12-2015, 07:08 AM
My son was given one that had been used enough to wear the red paint off. It was an early Hornady and was exactly like the late Pacifics. A very well made press. I cleaned it up, replaced any missing parts, got it running smoothly. But my son, who is a big shotgunner, never showed a lot of interest in reloading. He prefers to use the cheap case load shot shells he gets when his Gun Club orders by the pallet load. So I sold it and all the parts for $350.00 a couple years ago.

Note: even with all the use it had, it was in great shape except for a few rust spots on the blued steel and worn paint. I was doing a lot of bluing at the time, so I just pulled it down and reblued the steel parts.

Seagiant,

That's a very nice press you have there.

Hi,
Thanks for the nod!

I need to paint it! I did the rebuild upgrades but never got to the painting as I was having so much fun using it.

I paid around a $100 for it on our favorite auction site. The seller had found it I guess sort of rusty and had run the dies on a wire wheel! Trying to make it look better to sale!

I would of preferred to have found it before he did that but was lucky that he was lazy and did nothing I couldn't fix!

I milled a new shot/powder transfer bar from brass and built new converters to replace the shot/powder tubes. I still need to tear it down and paint it as I was having so much fun using it, I haven't got to that yet!

W.R.Buchanan
02-13-2015, 05:11 PM
I have one and I paid $150 for it. I completely disassembled it and cleaned it up and it runs perfectly, and makes perfect shells. You'd have to get up real early on lots of mornings to wear one out.

If I sold it I'd easily get $350-400 for it. They are very popular loading machines and are excellent loaders for just under $600 new. Plenty of nice used ones out there.

I also have a 12 ga. DL266 which was brand new that I paid $50 for. It is a single stage which shares many parts with the 366. Conversely my DL266 in .410 cost me $250 and I had to put some parts on it. Not as many .410's out there. I have seen used DL366's in .410 being sold for $800 when new ones were only $625 but not available. Go figure?

If you go on Ebay you'll see many of the Hornady/Pacific DL366 loaders come across the block. Condition is the main consideration as many of these machines spend their entire lives in a garage uncovered and look like it. One that looks good will sell high, and there is no bottom end. If you find one for $50 in a garage that is in need of TLC, it can be put back to work easily, and the parts are not too expensive and readily available from Hornady Midway or Mid South.

Red Rustoleum is readily available paint !

Good machines, and very popular so if you want to get rid of it you won't have any problems doing so.

Randy

runfiverun
02-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Holy cow.
I guess I should put mine together and sell it.
All I use it for is finishing off crimps from the mec's and to full length size the cases.
I should sell the mec's too now that I think about it.

seagiant
02-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi,
Nice post Randy! Full of real world info as usual!

We ought to get together and come up with some DL-266 castings and make those reloaders ourselves!

Probably get sued by the Deitmeyer Family AND Hornady!!!

MaryB
02-13-2015, 10:49 PM
My 366 runs like a top when I have everything right. Needs a new advance pawl and when it screws up swearing ensues...

bhn22
02-13-2015, 10:50 PM
A local store has a couple of them for under $100.00 each. One is even in Pacific Blue!

mattw
02-13-2015, 10:54 PM
I do not know anything about reloading shot shells, that being said the press sold for $350! The guy sent me a photo and everything blued was rusty! The press was Hornady red, but said Pacific.

jmorris
02-13-2015, 11:27 PM
I have two for 12,20,28 and .410. They run circles around my MEC 600 jr.

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2015, 05:08 AM
Matt my DL 366 is Red and is a Pacific as well. Hornady didn't change anything but the lettering on the castings.

There have been a few improvements along the way but all the new parts interchange. The biggest change is the primer seating tube which now has a spring in it that allows for different height base wads with out having to adjust the primer seating depth. I have one but haven't installed it yet.

Randy

Three44s
02-14-2015, 11:40 AM
I have a Pacific 366 in red and 12 ga.

It cost me about $250 but came with a lot of components and some powder a few years ago.

Hornady told me that they support the red Pacifics of this model but not the blue ones. I would think that parts only changed on a case by case basis when Pacific went from blue to red however.

I like my 12 ga. a lot and would like to find a 20 ga. reasonable ..... a red and either Pacific or Hornady would do.

Three 44s

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Plan on spending a little more for a 20 ga. version. Plenty of them out there but they generally command higher prices than the 12 ga. versions do. Still plenty of good deals out there ,,, you just have to find them.

I always carry $2-300 on me just in case.

Randy

MaryB
02-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Most parts work on the blue models just fine. Mine does not have the automatic finished shell eject so some different parts in that location.