PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum

Fergie
02-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I am in need of some assistance from the collective knowledge here.

I found a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum at the local pawn shop, and not knowing much about them in general, put it on hold for a few days.

I'm familiar with the cartridge just fine, not the gun itself, as far as quality goes. I've got a Single Seven that is enjoyable now that I remedied the loading problem, but I know these Single Sixes don't come up locally too often, so I'm thinking of buying it.

The serial number is in the 65-XXXXXX range. The gun is blued, and the finish is still good. There is a wear line on the cylinder from rotating. Also, the cylinder spins forward and backwards when the loading gate is open. Looking at the screws on the frame, they have some boogering to them, but nothing terrible. Lockup is good and the barrel is in good shape too.

The front sight is black and the rear is adjustable.

What kind of price is fair for these?

Thanks all.

GLL
02-10-2015, 10:14 PM
You did not mention the asking price ! :)

Jerry

Fergie
02-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Sorry, thought I covered everything...rush to get a fire going for the evening.

They are asking $549 + Tax.

GLL
02-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Prices I have seen lately range from $475-$650.

Jerry

contender1
02-10-2015, 11:57 PM
A lot depends upon a few things. First is condition. Next would be if the gun is in a rarer variation. Barrel length is also a factor. The 4-5/8" & the 9-1/2" ones are more desirable.
A couple of things I see. First, the serial number should be 650-xxxxx, not 65-xxxxxx. Next, if it has a reverse indexing pawl, it has had internal work done.
Look at the frame, and if it's marked "SSM" as well as "Single-Six 32 H&R magnum," then it's an earlier gun & more desirable.

However, if they are scarce, and you want it, why quibble of a few dollars more or less? You never pay too much, but occasionally too early!

Fergie
02-11-2015, 12:24 AM
A lot depends upon a few things. First is condition. Next would be if the gun is in a rarer variation. Barrel length is also a factor. The 4-5/8" & the 9-1/2" ones are more desirable.
A couple of things I see. First, the serial number should be 650-xxxxx, not 65-xxxxxx. Next, if it has a reverse indexing pawl, it has had internal work done.
Look at the frame, and if it's marked "SSM" as well as "Single-Six 32 H&R magnum," then it's an earlier gun & more desirable.

However, if they are scarce, and you want it, why quibble of a few dollars more or less? You never pay too much, but occasionally too early!

You are correct on the 650 serial number. From looking at the Ruger site, the pistol is from 85, or thereabouts. The barrel is appox. 6.5".

The frame is not marked SSM.

I thought that something had been done to the pistol when I noticed the reverse indexing pawl, but wasn't sure. Also, the grip frame screws are a bit messed from someone using the wrong screwdriver head size.

This particular shop doesn't even clean the guns before they sell them due to liability issues, so I doubt they knew anything about the pawl.

historicfirearms
02-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I just bought the same configuration single six last month. Mine was even made in 1985. It is all original and 98% condition but no original box. I got it for $450 out the door and think I got a very good deal. Fyi, I got it from a shop in rural central Michigan and Im a regular customer there so I usually get good deals from the owner.

You will love that gun if you get it. They are lots of fun to shoot and reloading is easy and economical.

SteveS
02-11-2015, 09:02 AM
If you really want the gun, that's not too bad of a price. They are great little guns. Cheaper than 22lr to shoot.

You might want to use the fact that it has had some internal work done and that the buggered up screws suggests it was done by a non-professional to get $50 or so off the price.

I've had a 4 3/8" version for close to thirty years now and I wouldn't sell it for that price.

contender1
02-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Ok, it's a more "common" variety than a rarer one. I would then go to the shop, point out the buggered screws, and the reverse indexing cylinder. That was not an offering in 1985. I would do some serious negotiating around those points.

Fergie
02-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Thank you all for the advice.

I'll head there later today and see what all I can do.

The help is appreciated.

G

ejcrist
02-11-2015, 12:34 PM
For what it's worth, I paid $600 for a 1980's vintage 32 H&R SS at a gun show that was in excellent condition. I'm only interested in shoot-a-bility rather than collector value , and the one you described sound like one I'd buy in a heartbeat. It sounds like it has the aftermarket kit you can install for the reverse pawl which I believe runs around $100 or so. You can always replace any buggered screws. I'd definitely buy it even if the price was on the high end.

Fergie
02-11-2015, 04:24 PM
For what it's worth, I paid $600 for a 1980's vintage 32 H&R SS at a gun show that was in excellent condition. I'm only interested in shoot-a-bility rather than collector value , and the one you described sound like one I'd buy in a heartbeat. It sounds like it has the aftermarket kit you can install for the reverse pawl which I believe runs around $100 or so. You can always replace any buggered screws. I'd definitely buy it even if the price was on the high end.

I'm after a shooter too; I'm not keen on collector value in general, and this doesn't come close to a safe queen.

If I don't buy it, I'll you all here know in case anyone else is interested.

rintinglen
02-11-2015, 05:54 PM
In my neck of the woods that is a 500-600 dollar gun. My brother got his for 495 a little while back, thanks to the ammo shortage.

Mk42gunner
02-11-2015, 11:53 PM
I'd start by pointing out the buggered screws then offer $400. It is easy to go up, hard to go down on offered price when you are the buyer.

Robert

sixshot
02-12-2015, 02:03 AM
If the screws are the only problem I'd buy it, they are getting hard to come by & mine is my most used revolver. A 100 gr. swc & 3 grs. of WST powder goes a long way. This load runs about 950 fps from my gun & is a small game nightmare. I've probably taken 50 grouse with it & yes they are legal in the fall here in Idaho for grouse although grouse would like to change that law!

Dick

Fergie
02-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Well, they wouldn't budge past $500 on the price, so I passed. I've got a Single Seven that is under-used as it is, so I wasn't inclined to pick this one up at the price they wanted.

If anyone else is interested, their number is 928-527-0881 and it should be back on display today.

On the upside, on the way home I stopped by my LGS and they had two pounds of BE set aside for me...not a bad day.

Thanks all for the input and advice.

Green Frog
02-13-2015, 12:03 PM
As I young lady I once knew (wise far beyond her years) said to me, "You can't have it all... if you did, where would you put it?" If I had either the Single Six or Seven, I think that would be enough for me. In fact, I have the Blackhawk Eight Shooter, and will probably content myself with that. The question you have to ask yourself is "Which one suits my need best?"

Or you could try to buy them all and try to figure out where to put them... that would make you more like the rest of us!

Froggie

Fergie
02-13-2015, 11:52 PM
As I young lady I once knew (wise far beyond her years) said to me, "You can't have it all... if you did, where would you put it?" If I had either the Single Six or Seven, I think that would be enough for me. In fact, I have the Blackhawk Eight Shooter, and will probably content myself with that. The question you have to ask yourself is "Which one suits my need best?"

Or you could try to buy them all and try to figure out where to put them... that would make you more like the rest of us!

Froggie

Very true, but I'm out of room as it is, and with the thought that I do use the Solo Siete enough, I couldn't justify almost the same pistol.

Something must have motivated me though, I loaded up about 200 or so H&R mags today, from 85gr RNs, to a 98gr HBWC to a nice 100gr RNFP. Tomorrow I'll work on the .327 stuff.

I'm having a problem with my Lee expander die though. The die set is for a .32 S&W Long, but should be able to be used with .32 H&R mag and .327 FM. The downstroke of the ram(upstroke of the handle) binds when I bell the case mouth. It take quite bit of effort to lower the case. It is all new starline brass, so I thought that was the issue, but is happens on some of my older .32 H&R brass as well.

Need to do some reading and fiddling with it to see what the issue is.

Mk42gunner
02-14-2015, 12:30 AM
Very true, but I'm out of room as it is, and with the thought that I do use the Solo Siete enough, I couldn't justify almost the same pistol.

Something must have motivated me though, I loaded up about 200 or so H&R mags today, from 85gr RNs, to a 98gr HBWC to a nice 100gr RNFP. Tomorrow I'll work on the .327 stuff.

I'm having a problem with my Lee expander die though. The die set is for a .32 S&W Long, but should be able to be used with .32 H&R mag and .327 FM. The downstroke of the ram(upstroke of the handle) binds when I bell the case mouth. It take quite bit of effort to lower the case. It is all new starline brass, so I thought that was the issue, but is happens on some of my older .32 H&R brass as well.

Need to do some reading and fiddling with it to see what the issue is.

I had the same issue with my set of Lee dies for the .32 H&R. Polish you expander, it will help some. I finally lucked into a set of Lyman dies and haven't looked back since I started using the M-die from the set.

Robert

Fergie
02-14-2015, 03:58 PM
I had the same issue with my set of Lee dies for the .32 H&R. Polish you expander, it will help some. I finally lucked into a set of Lyman dies and haven't looked back since I started using the M-die from the set.

Robert

I took the expander out and gave a good polish with some fine grit emery cloth. That seems to have remedied the issue. Works with the .32 H&R and .327 just fine.

Also started working on some Bullseye loads for the 327. This cartridge needs more info on it, that is for sure.