PDA

View Full Version : Need tin price advive

truckerdave397
02-10-2015, 08:41 PM
As some of you know I word at a scrap yard. There is a bucket of small tin pieces that I took a sample of and melted together and made an ingot out of so it could be tested. The pieces look like sodder drippings. It tested 99.87% tin and .13% lead. There is 80 pounds of this. What do the people of knowledge here think would be a good price for this. I do not really need it for any reason but I drought I will ever see this opportunity again. Thanks for any advice. Dave

Beagle333
02-10-2015, 08:44 PM
A good price for buyers would be ten bucks a pound. A good price for you would be around 16 bucks a pound. :D

gamedog53
02-10-2015, 09:15 PM
I'd be interested in some if you decide to sell, depending on asking price of course.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-10-2015, 11:54 PM
As some of you know I word at a scrap yard. There is a bucket of small tin pieces that I took a sample of and melted together and made an ingot out of so it could be tested. The pieces look like sodder drippings. It tested 99.87% tin and .13% lead. There is 80 pounds of this. What do the people of knowledge here think would be a good price for this. I do not really need it for any reason but I drought I will ever see this opportunity again. Thanks for any advice. Dave
I'd buy all of it, if I were you. By the way, what will you have to pay for it ?

imashooter2
02-11-2015, 08:37 AM
The long standing price for tin scrap here (pewter, solder or otherwise) has been $10 a pound delivered. Occasionally you see it go for a little more or a little less, but $10 delivered is pretty much what sells.

jmort
02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Retail is $20, but as mentioned you can find it here for around $10

RogerDat
02-11-2015, 02:14 PM
It's value here is as others have said $10 a lb. delivered. It helps lead alloys flow in the mold and provides additional strength with as little as 1 or 2 percent tin in the mix so small amounts added to a pot of bullet casting lead is desirable.

I think you should pick it up if you can get a good price, people here can use it.
Take a couple of round muffin tins as a mold to make about 1 inch thick ingots and you will be able to sell those disks which each weigh a few ounces until you run out.
Shipped in a USPS small flat rate box plenty of people will want one. You might find a single person that would take the whole batch but spreading the goodness around has its merits IMO.

triggerhappy243
02-13-2015, 12:02 AM
if you did get to take it home with you, i would like some fore sure. 10 pounds or so.

fredj338
02-13-2015, 07:30 PM
With tin up to $20/#, I would take 25# in a flat rate box for $200.[smilie=s:

C. Latch
02-13-2015, 07:34 PM
If I were buying to resell, I'd want to be able to smelt it into ingots and sell them for $10/lb shipped.

How much cheaper than that you need to BUY it in order to be profitable is up to you, but it would have to be close to $5/lb raw price for me to get really excited about it. If I were just buying for personal use, I'd go closer to $7/lb.

RogerDat
02-14-2015, 02:55 PM
There is more than one way to look at it, as a profitable purchase the price would need to be low enough to make the time you spend smelting into sellable ingots, packaging and shipping worth the work. There is personal use where your stash is the primary beneficiary. Then there is the warm fuzzy feeling of helping the community of fellow casters out by making a useful alloy available at a reasonable price.

Any mix of those from 100% profit to 100% own stash could impact what price it is worth. As C. Latch pointed out the price where buying it builds up your stash at a good price is higher than the one where it makes sense to sell. Me I would probably shoot for a middle ground. Make a bunch of ingots sell some to reduce the out of pocket expense of the ones I kept.

At $5 purchase price and $10 sale price I could sell 40# and get my 40# for free, and make some other casters very happy to be getting tin at about 1/2 the price they can buy it elsewhere. Even at a $7 purchase price selling 40# @ $10 lb. would bring your 40# 1/2 cost down to $160 or $4 per lb. Or sell 56# and get 24# for free buying at $7 and selling at $10.

Apply that approach or process to whatever you will have to pay for the tin and you will have your answer as to at what price it is a good price for you personally to purchase at considering your finances and the value of your time. And if it is less than $5 a lb. you should pounce on that like a duck on a crippled junebug.

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2015, 05:05 PM
a lot of it is 60/40 or 50/50 lead/tin. First thing youd have to do before selling it is find out how much tin is actually in it. If you cant track down where it came from youll need it tested. For that youd have to find a lab that would test it. Tin is worth probably 8-10 bucks a lb shipped. The lead part of it isn't worth much. if anything it detracts from the value because adding it to an alloy will actually soften the alloy. So if you have 5050 tin/lead and a 6 lb ingot your going to be selling it priced as 3 lbs of tin.

alamogunr
02-14-2015, 05:19 PM
a lot of it is 60/40 or 50/50 lead/tin. First thing youd have to do before selling it is find out how much tin is actually in it. If you cant track down where it came from youll need it tested. For that youd have to find a lab that would test it. Tin is worth probably 8-10 bucks a lb shipped. The lead part of it isn't worth much. if anything it detracts from the value because adding it to an alloy will actually soften the alloy. So if you have 5050 tin/lead and a 6 lb ingot your going to be selling it priced as 3 lbs of tin.

Did I miss something? Sounds like, for our purposes, this is almost pure tin.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2015, 07:28 AM
looks like I missed something:veryconfu

triggerhappy243
02-15-2015, 07:48 AM
No, you did not. There is no definitive word if the tin has been captured,

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2015, 08:28 AM
I was referring to the fact that I didn't catch the statement about him having it tested.

triggerhappy243
02-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Ah, yes. I had to read it twice too. But i am serious about 10 pounds of it and it does not need to be processed if it will save time and save me a few bucks.because i need to cast into my sized ingots anyway.

randyrat
02-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Niton (spelling?) analyzer. Every big scrap yard has one. It will give you the break down of everything in the allow. I hope you have a good business relationship with the person that uses this analyzer, if not you need to buy this person a steak dinner. Good PR work is under rated and over looked.

Garyshome
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM
At the local second hand stores I won't pay more the $5.00/lb for pewter, usually more like $3.00/lb, after all it is tin!

"Good PR work is under rated and over looked."

borg
02-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Around here, the second hand stores and Goodwill do auctions on it,,they think it's gold.
That's why I can't find much.

imashooter2
02-21-2015, 02:47 AM
At the local second hand stores I won't pay more the $5.00/lb for pewter, usually more like $3.00/lb, after all it is tin!

"Good PR work is under rated and over looked."

The I scrounged it myself price is always lower than the buy what someone else has scrounged price. :)

triggerhappy243
02-21-2015, 03:16 AM
i will guess that the tin is long gone now. one snoozes- one loses................