PDA

View Full Version : the first time...

tdoyka
02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
its almost ready to shoot the 30-40 krag with 165gr ranch dogs(175gr+/-). i gonna start with h4198 with a 19.0gr charge. i think it will go around 1500fps. i'll be checking for leading and in case the bullet goes sideways at 50 yards. if these work, then i can go 1700-2000fps (leading, sideways) and have a good deer boolit. i can also use rel7 and varget if things go wrong. also, i have a few loaded up with trail boss at 13.5gr. i could have taken it up to 14.0-14.5gr . i like to leave a little bit of space in the boolit, i don't want to crush tb!!! does anybody have a trail boss load so i sort of know how fast the fps is?

i can't wait!!!

Scharfschuetze
02-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Good luck with that load! I can't help you with 4198 in the Krag as I've generally just used SR 4759 and Accurate's 5744 powders. If I didn't have those powders, 4198 would most certainly get called up to take over from them in my Krag.

tdoyka
02-10-2015, 10:15 PM
the h4198 would be the 4th gun(20 vartarg, 444 marlin, and 45-70) that it can go too. i think, since there's around 2 1/2llbs, i'll get the 8llb'er.

tdoyka
02-11-2015, 05:23 PM
well, i took her out...i shot the first five(19.0gr of h4198 on 165gr ranch dog), put the gun down, and look at my binocolars and i see nothing. at 50 yards i should have seen something. i put the gun down and had a cup of coffee. about a 1/2 hour i pick the gun up and start shooting. i only have five more rounds so somethings gotta give:redneck:. i shoot one boolit and start looking. nuthin. shoot again. nuthin.
this goes on until i'm out of rounds. put it down, i need a lot more coffee!!!:coffeecom

alright, lets see what happens to the trail boss(13.5gr under 165gr rd). shoot the first one...nuthin. ok that what i thought. second one i'll aim at the bottom of the paper...nuthin. third one i'll aim at the top of the paper...holy ****!!!!! its about 11" low and 7" right.
i'll just use the adjustments and everything will be ok! the rear sight has to come up, i'll try it at number 5(500yards?) and then i'll try it...:shock::mad::killingpc, of all things the left/right knob doesn't work!!! i need a cup of coffee. all right, the left/right knob can stay, i'm going to use something like wd-40, so it can stay...there's a couple of rounds left. so i shoot until i'm good on the up/down thing(hey, what do you want? i'm stroke-abled!!![smilie=s:). i'm right on but 7 or 8" to the right.

i'll have to get the rear sight back to normal and the front sight is going to have to be painted orange. i'll check on flea bay for a rear aperture sight or i'll just go to http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm .

now that i think about it, the boolits are going 1300-1400fps and the factory loads are doing 2200fps, mmmmmmm i might have to check that out sometime.
the boolits looked great and no signs of leading!!!!

Scharfschuetze
02-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Cast boolits hitting low is not uncommon, but more common than not. No issues there and with military sights, easily corrected. Most of my military rifles when zeroed for jacketed bullets will often require a sight setting of 400 yards on the sight to zero up at 100 yards.

Windage seems to be your issue and some Kroil oil may help you get your windage function working again.

tdoyka
02-11-2015, 07:33 PM
windage, thank you!!! i knew windage would be better than left/right knob. my mind goes blank from the stroke. thank you again!!!

right now, the military sights are set on 300 yards with the trail boss and 165gr ranch dog. i'll have to use kroil on my windage(yea!!!) sights. my dad has kroil and penetreting oil in his basement. in about one or two weeks, depending on the weather, i'll start shooting again around 1700-2000fps with h4198 under 165gr ranch dog.

madsenshooter
02-16-2015, 04:26 AM
Keep your eyes out for receiver sights you don't have to drill and tap for, Redfield or Pacific. If I see one, I'll shoot you a PM. I missed out on a couple a few weeks back. Fellow had them on gunbroker, but pulled them off when they went without bids and put them on ebay. He got 4x what he was asking on gunbroker.

tdoyka
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
thanks! i've been looking for them too.